COMPLAINT: Canceled flight & no reimbursement

Old Feb 20, 2009, 3:48 PM
Kevin Murphy Kevin Murphy is offline

Join Date: Feb 2009

On November 16 my wife and I used Spirit airline for a flight from Atlantic City to Fort Lauderdale and on to St. Thomas. The first leg of the flight was fine. Then we had the rather unpleasant experience of arriving in Fort Lauderdale Airport and finding our connecting Flight #201 to St. Thomas had been canceled. We spent three and a half hours waiting in line until we were told to give our boarding passes to one of the luggage check-in attendants so she could make a group arrangement for all those passengers continuing to St. Thomas. About a half hour later our names were called and we were given a food voucher and notice that a bus would be arriving at 5o PM to take the group to Miami International Airport to catch an American Airlines flight to St. Thomas at approximately 7:00 PM. We went to Chillyís Restaurant in the next building to eat and returned at 3:45PM to wait for the bus. We noticed that there werenít any of the other St. Thomas passengers in the terminal so we went to the counter in find out what was going on with our ride. We were told that the bus came early and that we would be sent by taxi to Miami to catch our flight. We were told to go to the American Airlines counter and say that Spirit Airlines sent us. We were not given any paperwork to pass on. We made it to the airport at around 5:15 PM, found the American Airlines luggage and check-in line and waited our turn. Upon speaking to the ticketing attendant and telling her that we were sent by Spirit she said that she was aware of the Spirit cancellation and redirection of its passengers to American Airlines. She checked for our name which was not on the list. At this point we we re totally stressed and told her that she had better look again. She searched for our names in several other places with no luck. We were adamant that we were supposed to be on the list and convinced her to talk to a Spirit Customer Service rep . We were able to get a rep on our cell phone, unfortunately this representative was absolutely no help being that he was on the other side of the world in India with no access to phone numbers at the Fort Lauderdale Airport. His answer to our problem was to have us go back the Fort Lauderdale Airport.
The counter attendant informed us that there was very little time left because the flight would close within minutes. At this point after what we had already been through and knowing that if we were go back, we would;
1. have to pay for a taxi and be reimbursed,
2. go back to the spirit counter and further make arrangements ,
3. stay overnight in Fort Lauderdale,
4. catch another ride back to the airport,
5. check in again on the next days flight,
6. lose a nights stay In St. Thomas which was already reserved and paid for,
7. lug around four suitcases and two carry-on bags.
This was not a very pleasant feeling as Iím sure you could imagine. I knew that we were supposed to be on this flight and that Spirit would honor my decision. So much to my wifeís dismay I asked whether or not there was still room on the flight and how much it was going to cost. I paid for the flight on my credit card and was given the receipts which I will be sending you a copy or the original. It took numerous phone calls but we were finally able to speak to a woman named Ruby who told us how to resolve our problem.
We both emailed and sent a letter explaining our problem and asking for compensation but were told by email that because we returned on our scheduled flight we were not entitled to any compensation. At this point they have lost a customer. After reading about the many complaints they have had and their lack of customer relations, we are sorry that we ever used them in the first place.
Kevin Murphy

Old Feb 20, 2009, 4:01 PM
pattis pattis is offline

Location: U.S.

Sound like a terrible experience...I imagine you had a hard time enjoying any of your vacation. I know nothing about SPIRIT but think that if you could possibly try calling and talking to another agent it might be helpful. I doubt that you want to have to add more frustration and work to this already bad situation, and you should not have to. They say that the bus arrived early, but they (bus driver) should have had a copy of the manifest of all passengers from that flight and others not there should have been paged to return for bus. Of course, I have no idea what was done there. Sorry u had to go thru all that. Good luck in resolving this.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:15 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas

If I read this right, you actually paid for the AA flight while still holding tickets on Spirit and Spirit has refused to compensate you. That IS a bad experience you had. There is the possibility of legal action in Small Claims Court you could pursue. Additionally, a complaint to the Dept. of Transportation would be in order, and a complaint to consumeraffairs.com. Good luck and I hope you prevail. Please keep us posted!
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:09 PM

Go to the DOT, I think you are onto a winner. Spirit owe you reimbursement. If DOT don't help, file in small claims court. They won't defend it, becuase it is indefensible. You acted reasonably to mitigate your losses. To have gone back to Fort Lauderdale would have compounded the problem. You are entitled to recover and I am sure you will win.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:06 PM
Kevin Murphy Kevin Murphy is offline

Join Date: Feb 2009

We just received a check for our AA ticket purchase. Our efforts finally paid off. Going to the Atlantic City Press's consumer complaint column was the answer. Michelle from the Press was able to contact the right person at Spirit. It took time and patience but it paid off.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:28 PM
countrynewsman countrynewsman is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Killeen, Texas

Congrats! It is a shame that it takes the press (of which I was a member of; now retired) to get satisfaction for an individual, but so be it.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 10:53 PM

Use whatever it takes.. the Press, DOT or whatever. It shows just how scheming and dishonest the whole airline industry has become. Another forum has Delta conspiring to rip off a passenger repeatedly and only backing down when the DOT got involved. It is disgraceful and it is long over due for a regulatory intervention.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight Canceled-- All Costs Are Mine krehf Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 2 Dec 21, 2008 3:50 PM
Reservations canceled my flight then lied about an earlier flight karikay American Airlines Complaints 7 Nov 9, 2008 9:50 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight cancelled and no reimbursement! Anyone have ideas? skider3 Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Aug 19, 2008 11:49 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Canceled flight and passengers bumped? Lynn Delta Air Lines Complaints 8 Feb 25, 2008 11:44 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Canceled honeymoon flight - no reimbursement quantumstate American Airlines Complaints 2 Sep 26, 2007 2:09 PM