In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: Pets on Planes

Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:34 PM

Air Canada is going to allow pets on planes in the cabin with their owners starting in July 09. This should only be allowed for eye seeing dogs for the blind. They will only let on cats and small dogs. I have no personal medical reason as to not allow them but there are many people in the world with asthma and alergies. if someone were to have a serious asthma attack as a result of pet dander, Air Canada could get in a lot of [email protected]#*. Personally, I do not want to be on a plane and have an excited dog pee on my leg or smell an animal whom decided to deficate on the floor. At night, I do not want to hear a dog bark at the other one acoss the alley, or hear them fight. What would Air Canada do for you if one of the animals that they let on the plane bit you? Nothing. They will most likely make the owner sign a waiver stateing that they are not responsable for the pet on board the plane.

Anyways, I think this decision to have pets will deter more people than it attracts. I for one and so far everyone i talked to about it has decided not to use Air Canada for their Pet-liner.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jun 18, 2009, 8:19 PM
Banned

Pets are required to stay in their kennels while traveling. The chances of a pet biting you or peeing on your leg is, well, ZERO!
Old Jun 19, 2009, 4:36 AM

To be honest some peoples perfume on the plane has caused me more breathing problems. It seemed like they dumped a whole bottle on themselves and the rest of us have to suffer.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 2:30 PM

I recently flew Zurich/Toronto (Executive First) where one, very sick passenger had her large Airedale in the cabin - the dog was not a seeing-eye dog, but one that was trained to warn its owner when her medication was due. The dog was well-behaved, had been sedated and the only minor problem was when the cabin crew were serving meals. The aisles were too narrow for trolley and dog. More tolerance is needed in this world!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 3:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ally Pally View Post
I recently flew Zurich/Toronto (Executive First) where one, very sick passenger had her large Airedale in the cabin - the dog was not a seeing-eye dog, but one that was trained to warn its owner when her medication was due. The dog was well-behaved, had been sedated and the only minor problem was when the cabin crew were serving meals. The aisles were too narrow for trolley and dog. More tolerance is needed in this world!
If the animal was sedated then it was a pet, not a service animal. If one needs the animal to perform a specific function (warn about medication, seizure, etc.) then why would one sedate it dulling the senses and possibly rendering it unable to perform that function? I'm saying that in this case it was most likely someone traveling with a regular pet who had it declared as an assistance animal to avoid paying the pet transport fee.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 1:36 PM

The dog was most definitely a service animal but, on this occasion, was sedated slightly since the passenger (very obviously in a bad state of health) also had a capable human travelling with her. The human advised when meds were due during the flight. Elementary mon cher!
Old Sep 11, 2009, 6:37 PM
Banned

The dog was most definitely a service animal but, on this occasion, was sedated slightly since the passenger (very obviously in a bad state of health) also had a capable human travelling with her. The human advised when meds were due during the flight. Elementary mon cher!
If she had someone traveling with her, and the "service animal's" only "training" was to remind her to take meds, then why was the "service animal" necessary? In case the traveling companion forgot? I'm not buying that. It sounds like they were doing what many others do and abused the system. If you really need a service animal you wouldn't sedate it. This was just a pet and they didn't want to pay the fees associated with transporting the pet.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 7:18 PM

Are you always such a know-it-all? I was on the flight, not you, and I can assure you it was not someone avoiding fees. I'm not even going to waste my time discussing this with you. Think what you want to think. You are so sad.
Old Sep 11, 2009, 9:15 PM
Banned

Are you always such a know-it-all? I was on the flight, not you, and I can assure you it was not someone avoiding fees. I'm not even going to waste my time discussing this with you. Think what you want to think. You are so sad.
And just how do you possess such "first-hand" information? So the passeenger was legitimately ill and appeared so, I'll give you that. If the only service the animal provided was to remind her to take medications and she had a human companion who could do the same thing what was the need for the "service animal" in that capacity? The fact that the animal was sedated is highly suspect as well. Most vets will tell you that it is not safe to sedate an animal for air travel and most US airlines will not accept animals for transportation (as cargo in the hold of the aircraft) which appear to have been sedated.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:23 AM

Do they kick a child off the plane for crying?
Does the dog run around the bird hiking it's leg?
Can a little puppy that is stuffed under the seat in a carrier be dangerous?
Do people that are sneezing, coughing, gagging, snoring get kicked off the plane?
Do people with B.O. get kicked off the plane?
Where is the common sense? Come on people, our love for pets are just the same as our children; if not then your clueless; people haull so much crap on the bird that does not belong there and they are allowed to fly. IT'S A PUPPY NUMB NUTS: GET OVER IT.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 3:16 AM

Quote:
Do they kick a child off the plane for crying?
Once. Look up "bye-bye plane"

Quote:
Does the dog run around the bird hiking it's leg?
??????

Quote:
Can a little puppy that is stuffed under the seat in a carrier be dangerous?
If it's sick, maybe?

Quote:
Do people that are sneezing, coughing, gagging, snoring get kicked off the plane?
Sneezing, coughing, gagging may definitely get you booted off a plane: H1N1

Quote:
Do people with B.O. get kicked off the plane?
If you fly Southwest, you will.

Quote:
Where is the common sense?
I ask myself that question everyday..... *sigh*