COMPLAINT: AC754 cancelled

Old Nov 30, 2009, 7:51 PM

Join Date: Nov 2009

So here is my story, I booked a ticket from EVA leaving from Toronto to Macao with 2 stops in between. Toronto to Sanfransisco will be flown by AC and EVA will take care of the rest. So on my way back, which is from Macao to Toronto. AC cancelled flight AC 754 from San Fransisco to Toronto. Which means I have to wait for a whole night (11 hrs) in the airport for the next morning flight back to Toronto. If I have known this situation before hand, I would not have purchased the ticket in the first place. But now neither EVA or AC will refound my ticket for me. EVA is willing to pay for my hotel fee as a compensation. But that does not make up for the lost of time. I tried talking to their manager and asking for a better deal which is to re-route me to Vancouver, than back to Toronto (since there is more flights back domestically). The answer I got was that the air flight is higher to fly to Van, and I would have to pay an extra $150.00 for something that is not my fault. How is that fair? I have tried talking to them on the phone for over 2 hrs to try and solve this, but nothing, it seems like I hit walls each time I talk about re-routing. This cancellation was not done to a weather situtation, it was settled on an company decision. Which leaves us, the travellers with no choice but to give up our time and money for the stupid.money saving tricks.

I am still waiting for an reply on AC to see if they are will to pay for my $150.00 re-routing fee as compensation. But I doubt it.

Tell me if you have similar situations.

Old Dec 1, 2009, 12:14 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

What was the reason for the cancellation of the San Francisco to Toronto flight?
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:05 AM

If the reason was operational rather than factors they could not control, such as ATC or weather, you are on strong ground. You need to give more detail on the reasons for the cancellation.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 1:28 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

According to FlightAware.com Air Canada flight 754, which is the "red-eye" from SFO to YYZ, hasn't had a cancellation since July 30, 2009. (In order to go back any further requires a paid subscription.) So my guess is that this took place more than 4 months ago!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 3:39 AM

Join Date: Nov 2009

Flight AC 754 is going to be cancelled on Jan 12 2010, not 2009. No more night flight from San Fransisco to Toronto. They notifyed my agent, without any explainations.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 7:34 AM

That is different.. it is ridiculous to charge the extra $150 change fee. Call back and try and find a "nice agent". Some are more flexible than others... but I think your requested re-routing is entirely reasonable.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 8:33 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

If you booked through EVA only they can make the changes. Even though you are flying Air Canada and it is their cancellation by booking through EVA they are acting as agent by issuing the ticket.

Might I suggest since the AC flight was a red-eye that you try getting EVA to put you on Continental to Newark. CO and EVA have a ticketing and mileage partnership and CO has a red-eye from SFO to EWR that departs 1030 PM which is a good connection for the EVA flight from Taipei arriving 630 PM. You would even have time for dinner at the airport. Once in EWR the following morning you could easily connect to another CO or AC flight to Toronto.

Good luck.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:37 PM
mars6423 mars6423 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey/Singapore
Send a message via AIM to mars6423

just puttin out what has already has been stated, there is no reason why you should be charged the $150, if anything that fee should be charged to your travel agent who probably was the one who chaged your itinerary without telling you beforehand, you knew how much you were going to pay and agreed to it, and than you were hit with a change fee which is not what you expected, so you shouldnt be the one who has to pay it

like jimworks said, find a better travelagent, this one just isnt cuttin the butter, they dont seem to be adaquate or have the skills to book holidays/trips/travel or anything as they have bad communication with their customers, you should try and get your travelagent to cover the unexpected costs

phx showed a good flight itinerary that would give you good time so you wont have to worry too much about delays (at terminal B at EWR newark they have a chilli's too go, mcdonalds, a asian restaurant, pizza, and a cafe) for your wait, not too sure what the other terminals have
Old Dec 2, 2009, 1:51 AM

Join Date: Nov 2009

Thx for the advise. About talking to the agency and EVA, I spoke to them both, even to the manager of EVA for 2 hrs (that also wasted my long distance call), no one is willing to do anything about it. I even told them that if there is a cancellation, EVA is responsible to re-route me without extra charges. But they said the re-routing is done by giving me the morning flight. I gave up on talking to Air Canada, because I know EVA was the one who sold the package to me. Talking about my agent, all she said was "Nothing I can do!"

I filed a compliant to AC and Travel Canada through e-mail, but haven't got back from them yet.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:40 PM

Originally Posted by yinman2 View Post

What good will that do? They canceled the flight but your agent and/or EVA is responsible for re-booking you. AC didn't issue the ticket. When you book a ticket on multiple airlines the one you book it with holds the money. When you fly the tickets are sent to a central clearing house that sorts out who gets paid for the various segments. Since you haven't flown Air Canada for that segment they haven't received any of your money. They are not part of the equation here. The sooner you realize and accept that fact the better. Don't waste any more time complaining to Air Canada. Your complaints will go absolutely nowhere.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 2:37 AM

PHX....I usually am in agreement with you but on this one, you've lost it. If I am standing at my ticket counter (I worked for NWA) with a canceled flight from HNL-LAX and a passenger arrives from an outer island on Aloha Air, all segments booked by Aloha on Aloha ticket stock, I don't send them back to Aloha. I re-rebook them. Unless I am completely missing something in the story, why wouldn't the offending airline be responsible?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 3:53 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Totally different scenario, Troy. This was a cancellation prior to travel. As such whichever airline issued the ticket is responsible for making the changes.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:09 AM

I could be wrong but the segment canceled was the SFO-YYZ segment on the return trip. This would mean it was the cnx after the Macau/San Francisco leg was taken. Yes? No?
Old Dec 3, 2009, 6:51 AM

Disregard my above......I re-read the WHOLE thread.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight cancelled we were never contacted katheworsley Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 6 May 20, 2009 4:02 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Cancelled Flight AND Overcharged gcheadley United Airlines Complaints 6 Apr 26, 2009 8:17 AM
Reservations Cancelled Reservations & Poor CS hliiza Air Canada Complaints 0 Jan 4, 2009 12:55 AM
Reservations Air Canada Cancelled our vacation john78 Air Canada Complaints 0 Dec 22, 2008 2:42 PM
Customer Service cancelled flight, AA 181, 7/23/08. JFK to LAX willy9394 American Airlines Complaints 2 Jul 25, 2008 6:24 PM