COMPLAINT: Spirit left me stranded and essentially stole $220.

Old Jul 6, 2010, 2:17 AM
drlarson34 drlarson34 is offline

Join Date: Jul 2010

I was stranded in Vegas when the pilots went on strike. My flight there had me a little nervous because of the confusion with seating (several passengers had the same confirmed seat #). Spirit refuses to reimburse me for the return flight (total round trip ticket was $440 so $220 should have been reimbursed. I didn't even try to ask for the $530 one way red-eye I had to buy last minute to get home with United! I was told by the attendant from Spirit when I got back to my home airport in Orlando that a voucher would be sent to me, but after several unanswered emails and phone calls they finally told me in an email I was out of luck and they were not going to pay me back for the return flight I never took, BUT PAID FOR!!! After watching the news for several days after my unfortunate situation I felt a little better because many others lost thousands of dollars trying to get flights back home.

Old Jul 6, 2010, 5:09 AM
justme justme is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ATL

I was stranded in Vegas when the pilots went on strike.
The PILOTS dropped the ball on this one, I think you should try to recoup your money from the thieves that are ALPA. They are the ones who selfishly went on strike and screwed the rest of their company and passengers in the process.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Jul 6, 2010, 7:50 AM

Spirit are in the same category as the likes of Delta and Ryanair and have nothing but contempt for their customers. They are an airline to be avoided even when there is not a strike. The management are abrasive and aggressive towards their customers, so who knows what they were like to their staff.

Regardless of whether the strike had merit or not, in Europe you would be fully entitled to a refund for the sector not flown. I am not sure what the US law is in relation to this, but it is no doubt heavily in favour of the airlines. It seems odd to me that a company can charge for a service that they failed to deliver, regardless of the reason.

However, I gather Spirit is offering all passengers who had a flight cancelled 20,000 miles which, they claim, is enough for a round trip via a form which you complete online at their website. (Although no doubt there will be a load of dodgy T&C's and fees). At best, just claim you miles, use them one more time and then never fly them again. That is your only realistic option.

Last edited by jimworcs; Jul 6, 2010 at 7:52 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2010, 2:07 AM
drlarson34 drlarson34 is offline

Join Date: Jul 2010

I'll give their website another try and follow your advice on redeeming unclaimed miles. If it works I will still be very hesitant to fly with them again.

Oops, I should have titled this thread "thanks jimworks"

Last edited by drlarson34; Jul 11, 2010 at 2:09 AM. Reason: wrong title
Old Jul 11, 2010, 10:13 AM
azstar azstar is offline

I'm not sure it's legal for any airline to keep money for a cancelled flight. Due to "force majeur" (strike) they may not have to accommodate you on another airline, but, I believe, they do have to refund your unused transportation. You can sue in small claims court for the refund, plus court costs, plus the cost of your United Airlines transportation. Spirit will fail to send a representative, of course, and you'll win by default.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 2:31 AM
LuLou LuLou is offline

Join Date: May 2010

Originally Posted by azstar View Post
Go Civil, that way you can sue for P & S and contact your local/national media. They are more powerful than any court it seems.
[FONT=Garamond]Remember when the days we were flying somewhere, and it was the most exciting day of the trip almost !! Too bad those days are Long gone[/FONT].

Baggage Problems Had to give up carry-on, they stole from it Riggmaster Baggage Problems 10 Nov 11, 2014 3:46 PM
UA Stole My 100,000+ Miles Ex-UAFrequentFlyer Mileage Plus Complaints 8 Jan 2, 2011 2:13 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked American Airlines stole our honeymoon! SRisser American Airlines Complaints 0 Sep 26, 2007 2:13 PM
Customer Service Fight left before scheduled time and left passenger behind marciamarco American Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 8, 2007 12:35 AM