COMPLAINT: caution: misleading information about baggage allowance, Turkish Airlines 1910

Old Sep 21, 2010, 8:17 AM

Join Date: Sep 2010

I flew from Zurich (ZRH) to Seoul Incheon (ICN), via Istanbul (IST). My complaint is about the CHF 300 for "excess baggage" I was asked to pay at the Zurich Airport. I disagree with this, since I was misled by the information I obtained from the homepage of Turkish Airlines.

The check-in personal and a representative of Turkish Airways argued that I had more than 20 kg of luggage. This is true. However, I had previously visited their homepage and concluded that my baggage allowance was 2 pieces, each of which not exceeding 23 kg. I came to this conclusion after having arrived at

through links on their homepage. The title of this website is "General Baggage Information", and item number 3 gives a table for the baggage allowance, stating the baggage allowance I mentioned above. (I flew in the economy class.)

Since this is an allowance I am used to, I did not doubt the information. Only now when revisiting the website I realized that after the title of item 3 there is some fine print saying "For U.S.A. and Canada". I find this webpage deceptive, since its title is "General Baggage Information". Consequently, all items refer to a general destination - except for item 3! Why does this item not contain the baggage allowances for other destinations?

Taking into account the time pressure before a flight, I imagine that other passengers are similarly misled. I also found the information about the baggage allowance difficult to find. (The obvious link "You and Your Baggage" on the webpage

does not help, for example.) Furthermore, I didn't receive any information aoubt the baggage allowance by e-mail.

Old Sep 21, 2010, 3:31 PM

I can understand you being upset. It is somewhat deceptive as the print is small. All I can suggest you do is to send them an email asking that they increase the size of the print that says US and Canada or else put both tables on that page. (Including the table that indicates 20kg total which I found right here after a very quick search)
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:33 AM

Hi Judge,

Thank you for your suggestion. I already sent Turkish Airlines an e-mail suggesting to include the allowance for other destinations on that webpage. I also found the page you refer to later (after having paid the money for the "excess baggage").

Regards,

Fabian
Old Sep 22, 2010, 7:01 AM

It is very small and it is quite understandable that you missed it. I don't think you would have any remedy with any regulator or court. Turkish will argue that the information was available in black and white and you have acknowledged that you read the relevant section. It is not uncommon for their to be a different allowance for the US and Canada... which raises the basic question.. why is there a difference allowance for the US and Canada? The whole ridiculous, complicated rules are just bizarre.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:42 PM

Well.....it's quite simple. The amount for the US and Canada is greater because we are fatter. More material required for fatter people so obviously more weight for clothes is required.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:30 PM

I'm fat and European.. I demand equal treatment!!
Old Oct 28, 2010, 1:19 AM

Here is an up-date about the "overweight" issue with Turkish Airlines:

They answered my e-mail, which I had sent to them more then a month ago (September 21). In their answer they don't comment on any of the points I made in my complaint. They just inform me that they charge for overweight and they list some rules about this.

I'm disappointed about their answer.
Old Oct 28, 2010, 7:55 AM

Sadly one of the most common faults of customer service. If you point out failings which they can't justify, just ignore it and respond with irrelevant nonsense. I don't think you had any realistic chance of a remedy...but you do have some power. Don't fly with them again...
Old Nov 27, 2010, 8:24 AM

Join Date: Sep 2010

I am still waiting for an answer from Turkish Airlines to the e-mail I sent them on October 28. In this e-mail I told them that I was unsatisfied with their answer to my complaint. I start to think that it is their strategy to delay their answers to complaints/ not to answer complaints. (Just wait until angry passengers give up...)

Turkish ariline - keep away! hnr Turkish Airlines Complaints 1 Nov 17, 2008 9:47 PM