Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked

Were you on a flight that was delayed, canceled, or overbooked?

Flight canceled / changed

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:05 PM
chatakat chatakat is offline

Join Date: Jul 2009

We booked from Houston to Aruba (direct flight) in February - bought and paid for. In April we were notified that we would not be flying through Newark since our flight no longer existed. The problem with the return flight was 40 minutes in Newark - that was for immigration, customs and next flight. It was also the last flight out to Houston on a Sunday night and when we didn't make connection (no way it would happen) we would miss another day or work. They would not refund our money and let us book with another carrier so our only option was to return home form our vacation a day early. I asked for an upgrade - answer nope. I asked for extra airmiles - answer nope. I asked for free extra bags - answer nope. Not only did they not care that they cost me a day of my expensive vacation - they had no problem acting like they didn't care.

I want $150 for the flight change. That is what they would have charged me

Old Jul 16, 2009, 7:55 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

Obviously, Continental sees no problem in acting like a jerk. So why should you let them off with $150?

(1) Calculate what the dollar amount of your lost day in Aruba adds-up to. (2) Try to find-out what the “walk-up” fare was, at the time of your trip, for a one-way ticket, Aruba to Houston. You should be entitled to the LOWER dollar amount.

Send Continental a "demand letter." Say you want a CASH payment (not worthless vouchers) within 30 days or you will be filing a small claims action. If you are claiming the cost of your lost day, Continental will be very quick to point-out the Contract of Carriage excludes "consequental" damages. However, Continental’s actions resulted in your making a choice between forgoing a day in Aruba, or being stranded there. In this context you could try arguing to the court that the Contract of Carriage, in your case, amounts to a "contract of adhesion" with unconscionable terms. In other words, unconscionable terms (Continental’s actions which caused you to lose that day) were amended into a contract over which you were not allowed to negotiate.

Hopefully, you don't live in HarrisCounty (Houston.) Suing Continental in HarrisCounty is like trying to sue Walmart in Bentonville, Arkansas. You may be arguing before a "hanging judge." Still, I’d go for it anyway.

I expect the airline shills on this board will post all kinds of dire and threatening predictions about how you don't stand a chance against Continental and all of this is you own fault. I also expect my mental health will be questioned—yet again!
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Jul 16, 2009, 8:51 PM

Location: NY NY

Butch, your mental health is always in question, but that's another matter entirely lol.

to the OP - Actually if you read rule 24 of the contract of carriage, Continental is supposed to put you out on another carrier only if the service between two cities had been cancelled. In this case if it was "cancelled" between houton and aruba, then they should have put you out on another carrier, if it gets you out on a timely matter. Actually they should do it anyway as a courtesy to you. Also if the new time schedule given isn't suitable then you are allowed a full refund (also in the contract).

BUT - since you took the trip, you entered into the contract meaning you agreed with the new flight schedule. I know you didn't absolutely agree with it, because you're on a time frame, but by accepting the flight and taking the trip, knowing that you will have a tight connection, well I think continentals lawyers will argue that the ball was in your court and that you accepted the trip as it stood and that you had enough time to make any changes involving hotels and such, to NOT be affected by the new flight schedule.

If you wish to persue this in a legal matter, the best of luck to you. However I would take this as a lesson learned, and for those who might read this, please know that when it comes to a changes in schedule, you do have options.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 2:25 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

I'm sure Silent, and his fellow airline shills, will swear on a stack of Bibles that Continental clearly made the OP aware of this right. Still, the OP must really dig aerial views of downtown Newark, so she intentionally avoided a direct flight back to Houston! After all, airlines would NEVER withhold information from a customer about their rights (barf!) That $175K fine Delta Air had to pay to the DOT recently is, really, a big lie. Just ask Silent Bob!

I wonder how many free trips the airlines give Silent Bob, Jetliner, et al, in return for their posts on this board?
Old Jul 17, 2009, 4:34 AM

Location: NY NY

Butch, every time I mention an airline's name in a postive light, I get a free round trip. UNITED IS THE BEST *free trip*, DELTA ROCKS *free trip*, AA IS NOT ONLY THE BEST BUT THEIR CUSTOMER SERVICE IS RAD TOO *free trip with an upgrade* SWEET!

Ok back to reality, ask me about what now? Delta fine? You seem to know more about that than me, so why ask me about it? Remember I'm just a shill, who thinks Alaskan airlines is super awesome *free trip*

Wooo I am wrackin them up today.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 3:07 PM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline

Join Date: May 2008

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy Slept Here View Post
The same number yo are getting from Lufthansa and Amtrak.
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:23 PM
justme justme is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Location: ATL

Wait, what? All we have to do is say something nice about an airline or train operator and we get free stuff? I gotta get in on that deal!
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Jul 17, 2009, 8:44 PM

Location: NY NY

Justme, it's a trick! Continental, United, Delta, AA, and Alaska Air all said to stop contacting them, they are not giving out free trips for being nice in their forum and leave them alone or they'll call the cops LOL I knew it was too good to be true. *sob*
Old Jul 18, 2009, 2:24 PM
Kenneth Plush Kenneth Plush is offline

Join Date: Jul 2009

This is the 2nd letter I have sent to Delta Complaints; Does NO-ONE LISTEN OR CARE?P:S: I kept every ticket and receipt Delta issued or gave me, but not all had the 16#’s Delta asked for on their Complaint Form.

European Jewels 2009 Tour Delta Airlines from Wichita ICT-Atlanta-to London.
June 20, 09 Drove 160 miles to Airport City--confirmed flight for next day
Sunday June 21, Arrived ICT-- 5:58pm Flight# 5043 to Atlanta was Cancelled (Mechanical
problems.) for 24 hrs. at 4:30am and we were not contacted. Delta offered Hotel
downtown. We refused because we had relatives close-by ICT. No Meal Vouchers
were offered by Delta--so we ate at relatives and son had to foot the bill.
Monday June 22nd, ICT Flight #5043 at 5:58pm loaded and we sat on Runway for 2 hrs.
because of Weather in Atlanta GA. Delta said they would hold London flight
connecter flight from Atlanta, Delta Flight# 10 at 10:10pm. #5043 arrived an hr. late
and Delta desk refused to let us on Heathrow Flight# 10--it left without us..Weather
Delay Delta said; cut us new tickets through JFK in NY--. Sent us to Discounted Hotel;
we sat up for hrs. until someone cancelled a room (to bed at 2:40am).
Tuesday, June 23, checked in and Delta had the wrong date on rescheduled ticket thru
NY, so rescheduled us on a flight 3 hrs. later. Atlanta to NY 3:35pm Flight# DL136.
Arrived 6:30pm. Flight# DL01 leaving at 8:40pm to Heathrow London.. Mechanical
problems --- kept rescheduling until approximately 1:30am and left runway at 2:40
am. for London. Arrived London Heathrow around 2:30pmLondon time, or later. 50 hrs. late.....

We not only lost 3 days of precious time on our Tour--but a daughter we had not seen for a year and was moving to Vietnam for 3 yrs we only got to see for 5 hrs. instead of
3 days like we intended. The stresses involved and lack of sleep was unforgiveable. It set up for a less than expected "one trip of a life-time" and it cannot be repeated. We also had 3 nights of Hotels out of our pocket; plus had 3 tickets to see the Musical 'Chicago" that were thrown away because of the 50 hr. delays getting to London. (Have receipts!)

Kenneth Plush,
Old Jul 19, 2009, 1:09 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by Kenneth Plush View Post
Why is this Delta complaint in the Continental forum? Mods? Please move?

The number they ask for on the form is the 13 digit ticket number:

Ticket number: (10 digits following 006)
Your ticket number should appear on the e-mail receipt you received when you purchased the ticket.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Canceled flight & no reimbursement Kevin Murphy Spirit Airlines Complaints 6 Apr 22, 2009 10:53 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight Canceled-- All Costs Are Mine krehf Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 2 Dec 21, 2008 3:50 PM
Reservations canceled my flight then lied about an earlier flight karikay American Airlines Complaints 7 Nov 9, 2008 9:50 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Canceled flight and passengers bumped? Lynn Delta Air Lines Complaints 8 Feb 25, 2008 11:44 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Canceled honeymoon flight - no reimbursement quantumstate American Airlines Complaints 2 Sep 26, 2007 2:09 PM