COMPLAINT: Spirit is terrible.

Old Jan 14, 2011, 3:27 PM
armando armando is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

informed my wife that she had to pay for the bag again same bag that went
with even less weight and if she did not pay $33.60 for the bag it would not
go, so my wife paid it transaction ZE7BNH-02 received by agent 21272, my
wife also informed the agent that she belong to the $9 club and she replied
it didn't matter. This is not the first time that this type of thing
happens; I am requesting immediate credit back to the credit card charged.
Thank you in advance, I would suggest that Spirit work on the people skills
of its employees.
Discussion Thread
(Nikki 54425)
01/12/2011 09:30 AM
Dear Armando Alvarez,
Thank you for your correspondence with Spirit Airlines. We welcome an opportunity to assist our valued customers whenever possible.
Our records indicate that you pre paid for one checked in bag originally under ZE7BNH for $23.00 on
12/21/2010. For the return flight your wife was charge for a carryon bag for $33.60.
Regretfully, we're unable to uphold your request for a refund.
Thank you for choosing Spirit Airlines.
Cordially,
Niurka Paulino-Mieses
Corporate Consumer Relations.
SPIRIT AIRLINES, Inc.
Miss Paulino Spirit’s records are incorrect my wife did not have a carry on, she did not even have a purse she had waist document bag for her passport, I picked her up at the airport, and as I stated the agent clearly told her the charge was for her checked bag “pay or it doesn’t go” were her words. If Spirit wishes to charge more then raise the airfare but these charges are fraudulent, I ask you again to please reverse the charges please do not force me to take further action.
Discussion Thread
(Nikki 54425)
01/13/2011 03:22 PM
Dear Mr. Alvarez,
Thank you for your continued correspondence with Spirit Airlines.
I'll be glad to issue your wife a future flight credit for $33.60 as a one time
courtesy under your record locator ZE7BNH for the baggage fee.
We genuinely value your patronage and appreciate your understanding. We look forward to the opportunity to serve you again.
Cordially,
Niurka Paulino-Mieses
Corporate Consumer Relations.
SPIRIT AIRLINES, Inc.
Miss Paulino this once again is not what I requested, by you proposing this option you have just called me a liar. My wife did not have a carry on, therefore she should not been charged so there is no reason we should except your most generous offer of credit in the future for something she should not been charged in the first place. The only option is to return the money that you fraudulently collected. It appears that you or your company will risk possible future sales of hundreds or even thousands for $33.60 that your company charged either by mistake or by design. This is now a matter of principle. For the third and last time I ask you to refund the money charged in error. Your airline has the highest record of complaints of all the airlines, could this be one reason why. Please feel free to pass all the correspondence on to your upper management before they read it on the internet and ask you how this got so out of control.

Old Jan 15, 2011, 1:49 AM

Well written and clear. The airlines appear to be so committed to holding on to money collected, even when a customer can prove that it was not due. I hope you take them to court. Keep us posted on the outcome.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 11:07 AM
azstar azstar is offline

I agree; well written, articulate, comprehensible, and concise.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 12:47 PM
HoustonFlyer HoustonFlyer is offline

Join Date: Nov 2010

Originally Posted by armando View Post

Amando,

I am not seeing you saying that the bag was paid for for both legs including the return. You just say, "The bag was paid for ..." You can't possibly think that the $23 you paid covered both directions. Therefore it seems to be splitting hairs whether you were charged for a carry on or for a checked bag on the return journey. If I am correct that you didn't pay for the bag for the return, and nothing you say contradicts that, I think the agent correctly applied the charge, but may have mistakenly recorded it as a charge for a carry on.

I would say "Thank you" for the credit and move on if I were you.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 6:34 PM

Record locator ZE7BNH, if you review this ticket purchase you will find that the bag was paid for on the initial purchase of the ticket on the return
I am thinking the clue was in the first line Houstonflyer!
Old Jan 15, 2011, 7:37 PM

with even less weight and if she did not pay $33.60 for the bag it would not
go, so my wife paid it transaction ZE7BNH-02 received by agent 21272, my
wife also informed the agent that she belong to the $9 club and she replied
it didn't matter. This is not the first time that this type of thing
happens; I am requesting immediate credit back to the credit card charged.

This is the sentence above. The OP is like our friend Mars whose punctuation leaves something to be desired and so led you to the misinterpretation you have put on it. The "on the return" is part of the "On the return January 2nd when checking in ..." and not that it was paid for on the return. This is why I recommended Mars for punctuation classes but he insists that it is not a formal document so he can punctuate as he wants. It is an example how lack of punctuation could distort the meaning. Take note, Mr Mars
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:21 PM

OK... well, it is difficult to judge what happened here. If the bag was checked in, Spirit don't even have a charge for a checked bag which matches this sum. So, even if the OP only paid for baggage one way in error, on the return they paid the sum for hand luggage, when the OP is adament the bag was checked. There is some doubt about this.. why have Spirit offered a credit... Spirit are not an airline renowned for their generosity.

I am not sure that they have clear records themselves as to what happened.
Old Feb 12, 2011, 12:14 AM
airplanegod airplanegod is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

Spirit is an AWFUL airline. Hope you get the money back.

In-flight Issue Terrible Flight Attendants Becka_01 In-flight Issues 20 Dec 8, 2010 3:40 PM
Customer Service terrible customer service johnafa Customer Service 6 Oct 2, 2009 10:42 PM
Baggage Problems Terrible Baggage Handlers Mary Southwest Airlines Complaints 2 Jan 27, 2009 3:46 AM
Qantas - Terrible service jamesduk Other Airline Complaints 1 May 31, 2008 11:44 PM
In-flight Issue terrible flight cc1345 American Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 14, 2007 1:27 AM