COMPLAINT: Do not be fooled by "low" prices

Old Dec 18, 2011, 8:15 PM
blue blue is offline

Join Date: Dec 2011

I arrived at the airport at 4:30 AM because my flight was leaving at 6 AM on the dot. I saw a large crowd of people waiting in various lines and should have known there would be a problem. I proceeded to the kiosk to check in since I was NOT checking in any bags and only had a my purse and suitcase that fits in the overhead bin of the plane. I saw that they were charging $38 for checked bags and entered 0 since again, I knew I could bring my bag on the plane. I printed the boarding pass and headed to security when the woman stopped me and told me I had to PAY for my bag even if I was NOT checking it! At first she tried to tell me it would not fit. Having flown just recently over thanksgiving I knew this was a lie, and I overhead her then speak to another agent in Spanish that I would have to pay. They assumed that I did not understand what they were saying but stupidity comes in all colors because her small mind would never guess that I speak several languages FLUENTLY. Never mind the fact that other airlines only charge to check bags but not Spirit who will get as much money as they can out of you.

Since I already had my boarding pass I proceeded to the "full service" line with other frustrated passengers. This line was NOT moving and I saw the other 2 lines go ahead of me with no employees offering the help us in the "full service" line which was really no service. I went back to the kiosk to attempt to pay for my bag and was charged $40 when originally it was $38. To my surprise after I paid $40 the machine refused to print out my receipt!!!! I had no proof of paying! Back to the line I go!. 45 minutes had already passes and at this time they were calling for all passengers bound for NY (which was me) So I went to the service agent along with a few others. He then proceeded to tell me that I had not paid for my bag. I told him I did and that the machine would not print out a receipt. He told me to go the fast bag line (which I was just standing in) while pointing to the self service line! Well which one is it? He pointed to one line while simultaneously saying to go to another! I then got back in line to the line that he pointed to. Then someone made an announcement that if you had a boarding pass to go to the fast bag line! I had already been in that line twice!!! Now I switch BACK to that line!

While waiting in that line I see an employee ushering people in a separate line and overhear him saying that line was not NY bound passengers! He never made an announcement so then I go to that line! Over an hour has passed at this point. I finally get to see an agent told her I paid $40 for the bag and the receipt would not print out. She printed a receipt and told me to go through the security to gate L-9. I was so frazzled at this point after going through security, I'm rushing to get to the gate.

When I get to gate I realized I have been so stressed out by Spirit airlines and their circus act of check in process that I had misplaced not only my receipt, my boarding pass, AND my driver license! The agent at the gate asked for my information, printed me another boarding pass since I could not locate mine. Another agent handed me my pass then had the nerve to tell me I never paid for my bag!!!! "Jerome", who had stopped me from boarding before, "Jerome" who pointed to one line while telling me to go to another, "Jerome" who now thinks that somehow I snuck past the agent without paying $40 for my bag, was now trying to stop me AGAIN at the gate while the plane was fully boarded. The other agent told me to board anyway. Does "Jerome" want to call my bank to verify the charges? At this point it was around 5:55 am and the plane was scheduled for 6. I had spent all that time going in circles in their check in zoo with no agents there directing people where to go or what to do.

Once the plane got off the ground. I was going to request water on the plane. No, never mind that since Spirit charges for anything and everything. I had not eaten nor had anything to drink and was certainly not going give them another dime for water.

Fortunately, or unfortunately I should say my DL now needs to be replaced because of that nightmare of Spirit. Incompetence at its best. I know I will be sticking to American Airlines from now on. It was not a deal as I will have to pay an extra $80 for bags. Now my trip will cost more money than had I used American, Usair, or any other major airline. Total ripoff and not worth the headache.

Old Dec 18, 2011, 9:29 PM

That is the Spirit experience... Why anyone uses them other than backpackers mystifies me.
Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:12 PM
bagojunk bagojunk is offline

Join Date: Apr 2012

Backpackers? they charge carry on fees now

Baggage Problems "Personal item" and "Carry on" is a fraudulent scheme... pc300000 Spirit Airlines Complaints 3 Jul 12, 2011 8:50 PM