Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:44 AM
waja waja is offline

Join Date: Apr 2012
Default DFW Gate Agent abuse

The gate agent at C20 for flight 1121 on April 19, 2012 gives EVERY employee of American Airlines a bad name. He STARTED his announcement by warning the passengers he was a jerk. Not welcoming anyone. Warning us. Well, he was. As I boarding, I was made to put my bag in the size wise. It fit, with some effort. It is the same carry on that I have flown with for my last 100 flights with American. Did it fit? Yes. But I was made to check it because the "FAA doesn't allow squooshing." Really? I explained that it fit. He said he didn't care. I have to check it. I explained I fly with it all the time. He repeated that he didn't care. I said that I flew with it this week already. He told me that ALL OTHER EMPLOYEES are wrong by letting it fly. Then, I asked for his name and his employee number as his badge was facing backward. He said he didn't have an employee number. I asked for a supervisor. He told me one wasn't available. So, I boarded the plane WITHOUT my bag. Then, I spoke to the head flight attendant and asked for the gate agent's name and employee number. She said she didn't know. I asked her to find out. She said she wouldn't. So, I took my seat. I called customer service. They told me they couldn't file a complaint after 4:00p. I am executive platinum. I spend close to $40,000 a year on American, conservatively. I dread flying on American. Employees act with impunity and without remorse. I want to know who the gate agent was and what you will they about it. I already know -- nothing
Old May 8, 2012, 6:43 AM
dfwgirl dfwgirl is offline

Join Date: Jun 2011
Default agent abuse

So, first let's discuss your bag size. If it slides into the sizer, really it is no problem. YES, bigger bags fit, however remember the "Shared Space" announcement. Your giant bag takes up some other passenger bags space. Second, very wrong for the agent not to give name as requested. Employee numbers and last name are not given out to protect the saftey of the employee. All management can see what agents worked the flight. First name, or even general description is fine. Flight crew does not know the name of the agents working the flight.
I have seen that baggage abuse has gotten so bad that agents are taking pics of bags, in case as dispute comes up. On the other hand, agents are human. If a bag is in question, should it be so challenging to slide it in the sizer?? If it fits, it goes. Why is that a problem??

Your class of service, first or main, does not matter to the bag regulations. FAA fines AA equally for excess/oversize. If you travel $40,000 per year, you should know what size carryon to bring to the airport.

Last edited by dfwgirl; May 8, 2012 at 6:46 AM.
Old May 8, 2012, 8:04 AM

The FAA does NOT fine AA for excess size of hand luggage. The FAA does not set the rules relating to the size of cabin baggage, it is set by the airlines themselves. Airline employees frequently mislead passengers by suggesting this is regulated by the government, when it is NOT. The TSA in their written guidelines to passengers specifically note that the hand luggage size and weight permitted is set by airlines and may vary by airline and aircraft type.
Old May 8, 2012, 3:42 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Wrong Jim. Actually TSA is fining the airlines for carry on bag abuse.
Old May 8, 2012, 4:53 PM

Fining for allowing more than one bag perhaps, but there is no regulation to enforce regarding size. Their own website states categorically that it is set by the airline.
Old May 8, 2012, 5:33 PM

I found this on the FAA website Gromit, reinforcing my contention that it is airline not the FAA or TSA that sets policy:

Think Small...
The maximum size carry-on bag for most airlines is 45 linear inches (the total of the height, width, and depth of the bag). Anything larger should be checked.
No oversize packages or luggage can be stowed onboard.
Think Smart...
Plan to check more of your baggage and carry on less.
Check with your airline before packing to determine its carry-on guidelines regarding the number of items you may carry on and the maximum size of those items.
The last line tells it all... And the first line "most".
Old May 8, 2012, 7:17 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Originally Posted by Gromit801 View Post
Wrong Jim. Actually TSA is fining the airlines for carry on bag abuse.
Wrong, Gromit801. The FAA fines airlines for not enforcing their own rules. If an airline wants to permit 20 carry-ons per passenger, they can, provided that it does not create a safety issue, which the FAA does enforce.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:30 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

I'll repeat, and I'm quite correct in this. TSA is fining airlines for carry on abuse. Keep your heads in the sand all you want, it has nothing to do with the FAA.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:37 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Originally Posted by Gromit801 View Post
The TSA fines airlines ONLY for security violations. That is their mandate.
Old May 24, 2012, 6:14 AM
dfwgirl dfwgirl is offline

Join Date: Jun 2011

Azstar,

Incorrect. The airlines creates rules, the FAA enforces them. The current fine on airlines for violation of excess/oversize bags is $10,000 per occurence. Different airlines may have created different standards, but FAA follows each airlines' policy.For example, if AA lets you take two bags, the airline would be fined for seeing three bags being allowed. If DL makes their allowance three, then the FAA would fine DL accordingly.
Old May 24, 2012, 6:36 AM

Dfw... That is exactly what azstar said!
Tags...
abuse of power, gate agent, nasty

Check-in / Boarding Gate Agent from Hell "Jim" Palm Springs Airport, Gate 19 SFOGirl United Airlines Complaints 0 Jun 1, 2011 2:15 AM
Check-in / Boarding Gate Agent Abuse of Authority jonwu American Airlines Complaints 2 Mar 9, 2011 6:50 AM
Check-in / Boarding Gate Agent Abuse & Slander Chicago Traveler American Airlines Complaints 11 Dec 1, 2010 11:31 PM
Customer Service Gate Agent Rude mmiakisu Customer Service 36 Feb 21, 2010 3:52 PM
Customer Service agent slander , threats, and abuse tgm10 Air Canada Complaints 3 Jan 4, 2009 1:49 AM