Other Airline Complaints If we receive 10 complaints about an airline, we will create a specific section for it above.

Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:51 PM
louise.hibbert louise.hibbert is offline

Join Date: Aug 2013
Default South African Airways

My flight to South Africa with my 6 month old was fine, in fact quite enjoyable and as this was our first time to be flying, I was very nervous.

Unfortunately our return flight could not have been any worse due to the over booking and the reseating process.

Upon leaving and check in at Cape Town Int.I was told there had been a note on my file that I wanted to express milk and breasfeed so that had been taken into account when allocating my seat. I was just as nervous flying back to the UK so started to relax when I heard we were being taken care of. The flight to Joberg was fine but from Johannesburg to London it was awful. Not only were we tossed from pillar to post as the seat we had been allocated was taken to reseat a mother and daughter. I was then offered another seat which was next to another reseated passenger, obviously put out as he had been downgraded from bussiness due to the plane being overbooked. He made it very clear that he would not be sitting next to a mother and baby as this was why he didn't have children and why he paid for business class. I felt awful and very embarrassed!!

I was then reseated for a final time in between 2 people- after tears and embarrassment. It was certainly not ideal with a 7 month old. Not only could I not breastfeed or express I could not get up easily if I needed to settle my son.

I then returned to the UK and wrote in to SAA. If the plane was overbooked and I'd been given the option to remain in Cape Town for another day that would have been fine- instead I was allocated a seat.

The reply I received only angered me further- instead of an apology which was my desired outcome- I received a very rude, unsympathetic response from an Alfred, saying that it was policy to over book- and he was glad they were able to accommodate me.

I then followed up with my flight centre consultant with whom I'd booked my flight through and he has yet to produce an outcome. I believe he has been chasing this on my behalf and has been advised to wait!

I find this level of service appalling!! It is now almost 4 months since my travel and almost time to be booking the next trip.

Items stolen from checked luggage in the south african airlines flight rofix Other Airline Complaints 0 Dec 27, 2012 10:01 PM
South African Airways Steals From Passengers [email protected] Other Airline Complaints 2 Aug 12, 2010 4:20 PM
South African Airways Flight# SA052 (8th August 2010) rui.bashir Other Airline Complaints 0 Aug 12, 2010 4:08 PM