Other Airline Complaints If we receive 10 complaints about an airline, we will create a specific section for it above.

Old May 26, 2008, 3:27 PM
eamc eamc is offline

Join Date: May 2008
Default Flybe - Outrageous Excess Baggage Fee

A low-cost European airline, Flybe, operating out of Exeter UK, charged an outlandish $ 1,100 (one thousand one hundred, or GBP 554.50) as overweight penalty on Flybe excess baggage ticket 2106879484 which I paid by VISA. Accompanying a $90 per person ticket by a $1,100 excess baggage totally within U.S. guidelines is not right and not good business. Possible U.S. passengers should be warned against using such airlines.
Details: I was traveling in a party of two from STL to LGA on 4/19 and CDG to Chicago to STL on 7/21/08. On 2/12/2008 I purchased from AA 2 tickets for $179 each: for me record MTKGMZ for flights SOU-DUB-CDG (SOU UK to Dublin Ireland Flybe 384 on 4/22/08 and Dublin to Paris Aer Lingus 520 on 4/28/2008). No overweight baggage fee is charged for "international travelers," but Flybe claimed I am not an international passenger. At Southampton airport 4/21/2008 Flybe ground personnel claimed different and smaller carryon and checked luggage standards yhan used in the U.S. No laptop or personal item. I was forced to check all carry ons, was not allowed any wheeled assists, and had to carry all cabin luggage by hand.
No amount of correspondence with Flybe produced any results. I question the appropriateness of such astronomical fees, and urge all readers
1) to beware of Flybe and other "cut rate" airlines,
2) not to frequent small airports like Southampton that are easier to get into than out of
Edwin M