Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:22 PM
dorsett dorsett is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010
Default Cancelled flight leaves us stranded in Minneapolis - Advice needed

Greetings fellow disgruntled travelers. I had a terrible experience this week and am looking for some advice on how to try to get Delta to discuss them.

This past Tuesday my wife, 3 year old and I were scheduled on a 9PM flight from Minneapolis to Albuquerque. After waiting for 30mins past departure, we were finally told that there was a mechanical issue being worked on. Suddenly the sky opened up and they had to clear the tarmac due to lightning. After about an hour, work resumed on the plane and we were boarded onto the plane around 11PM. After sitting on the plane for an hour, we were told that our original pilots had covered for another flight crew and that we would be waiting another hour for a crew. Another 1.5 hours passed and we were told that the crew was further delayed and we would need to de-board the plane to avoid the 3 hour rule. We waited in the terminal for an hour and then were re-boarded because "the crew was on the ground and on their way." After waiting on the plane for another hour, we were told that the flight crew had hit their 8-hour limit for piloting and the flight was cancelled.

It took 2 hours to get us booked onto a flight for the next morning and then we were told that there were no hotels within 20minutes so they weren't offering overnight vouchers, all we were given was some food vouchers (even though all stores were closed!!). When I pressed for additional compensation I was treated quite rudely by a pompous gate agent who told me that the flight was cancelled due to weather. Unfortunately, the weather front had left the area 4.5 hours before the cancellation. A number of other passengers and I were treated so badly by the employee that we requested his full name OR his employee ID and he refused to supply either.

So, my question is this... what avenue is best to get some sort of compensation for this whole fiasco?
Old Aug 13, 2010, 7:20 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Nothing short of a small claims suit.

Lufthansa strike leaves thousands stranded The_Judge General Discussion 4 Feb 26, 2010 11:33 PM
Air Transat (and Thomas Cook) - leaves two minors stranded Kristin P Other Airline Complaints 5 Aug 14, 2009 12:30 PM
Customer Service Flight cancelled, not informed parents stranded in Amsterdam sale111 Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Jun 21, 2007 5:59 AM