Check-in / Boarding
COMPLAINT: Bad Treatment of Business Travelers

Old May 30, 2014, 9:42 PM

Yesterday I was on a Southwest flight from Dallas to San Antonio at 7am, and was picked up from my hotel at 5:30am-long day for sure. I flew to San Antonio, went to my business meetings and was booked on a flight from San Antonio to Tampa via Houston at 6:05pm-arriving in Tampa (my home) at 10:45pm. I got to the airport in San Antonio and through security and noticed a nonstop flight to Tampa that had not boarded yet. I didn't book that flight to begin with because I thought my business meetings would last longer than they did. The nonstop flight would have gotten me home around 7pm or so. I went up to the gate attendant and asked if there were empty seats (I did not check luggage). She said there were and so I asked if I could be switched to the nonstop flight. She said certainly- for $286.00. I explained I was an A-list customer and flew Southwest a lot, had been up very early, and would really appreciate getting on the nonstop flight and home earlier. If they had empty seats- why would I have to pay $286.00? I have already paid Southwest thousands in multiple business trips over the past few weeks. She said too bad. She could have cared less in fact. So, I did not get on that flight, my 6:05pm flight was delayed, and I didn't land and get home until 1am, meaning I was up straight for 20 hours. This is no way to treat business travelers and I will NEVER EVER fly Southwest again. USAir or Delta would have switched me no problem at the last minute. And NO Cost.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old May 30, 2014, 10:14 PM

This has been an SWA policy since 1971. You don't, of course, have to like it; but I'm not sure why an "an A-list customer" who "flew Southwest a lot" would be surprised at this long-standing policy. Were you also surprised that you weren't assigned a seat?
Old May 30, 2014, 10:26 PM

Well I've switched last minute before- several times- on Southwest and never paid extra. If that is the policy good luck keeping business travelers. I don't plan on booking again with them for this reason- especially if it's a policy with this airline- and since it is NOT with other airlines.They know how to treat business travelers. And Southwest does not assign seats.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:45 PM

Real business travelers don't fly Southwest because of the lack of a J cabin and alliance affinity but I digress....
Far from a Southwest apologist but every major airline has a standby fee - yield management. Become a high status passenger on a real airline and they'll often waive the standby fee.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:25 AM

Yes I have status on USAir and can always make last minute changes without this hassle. Only reason I flew Southwest for these trips was because I could fly direct to San Antonio. But just booked for week after next and going back to USAir- same price- not direct- but won't be hassled if I need to make a change last minute. So I will give up on flying direct. I have status on Southwest as well- not sure what it gets you other than not having to pay extra fee for early boarding and some drink coupons.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:18 PM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Originally Posted by marcyst View Post
Yesterday I was on a Southwest flight from Dallas to San Antonio at 7am, and was picked up from my hotel at 5:30am-long day for sure. I flew to San Antonio, went to my business meetings and was booked on a flight from San Antonio to Tampa via Houston at 6:05pm-arriving in Tampa (my home) at 10:45pm. I got to the airport in San Antonio and through security and noticed a nonstop flight to Tampa that had not boarded yet. I didn't book that flight to begin with because I thought my business meetings would last longer than they did. The nonstop flight would have gotten me home around 7pm or so. I went up to the gate attendant and asked if there were empty seats (I did not check luggage). She said there were and so I asked if I could be switched to the nonstop flight. She said certainly- for $286.00. I explained I was an A-list customer and flew Southwest a lot, had been up very early, and would really appreciate getting on the nonstop flight and home earlier. If they had empty seats- why would I have to pay $286.00? I have already paid Southwest thousands in multiple business trips over the past few weeks. She said too bad. She could have cared less in fact. So, I did not get on that flight, my 6:05pm flight was delayed, and I didn't land and get home until 1am, meaning I was up straight for 20 hours. This is no way to treat business travelers and I will NEVER EVER fly Southwest again. USAir or Delta would have switched me no problem at the last minute. And NO Cost.
The agent may have looked at the fare you paid, and you paid for a cheaper routing from San Antonio to Tampa via 1 stop most likely via New Orleans and wanted the nonstop which was probably a bit more expensive for nothing. Yes the agent should have charged you. I see no problem here. Move next "issue".

Last edited by A320FAN; Jun 1, 2014 at 6:19 PM. Reason: ...

Tags
change fee, fees