COMPLAINT: Bad Treatment of Business Travelers

Old May 30, 2014, 9:42 PM

Join Date: May 2014

Yesterday I was on a Southwest flight from Dallas to San Antonio at 7am, and was picked up from my hotel at 5:30am-long day for sure. I flew to San Antonio, went to my business meetings and was booked on a flight from San Antonio to Tampa via Houston at 6:05pm-arriving in Tampa (my home) at 10:45pm. I got to the airport in San Antonio and through security and noticed a nonstop flight to Tampa that had not boarded yet. I didn't book that flight to begin with because I thought my business meetings would last longer than they did. The nonstop flight would have gotten me home around 7pm or so. I went up to the gate attendant and asked if there were empty seats (I did not check luggage). She said there were and so I asked if I could be switched to the nonstop flight. She said certainly- for $286.00. I explained I was an A-list customer and flew Southwest a lot, had been up very early, and would really appreciate getting on the nonstop flight and home earlier. If they had empty seats- why would I have to pay $286.00? I have already paid Southwest thousands in multiple business trips over the past few weeks. She said too bad. She could have cared less in fact. So, I did not get on that flight, my 6:05pm flight was delayed, and I didn't land and get home until 1am, meaning I was up straight for 20 hours. This is no way to treat business travelers and I will NEVER EVER fly Southwest again. USAir or Delta would have switched me no problem at the last minute. And NO Cost.

Old May 30, 2014, 10:14 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

This has been an SWA policy since 1971. You don't, of course, have to like it; but I'm not sure why an "an A-list customer" who "flew Southwest a lot" would be surprised at this long-standing policy. Were you also surprised that you weren't assigned a seat?
Old May 30, 2014, 10:26 PM

Join Date: May 2014

Well I've switched last minute before- several times- on Southwest and never paid extra. If that is the policy good luck keeping business travelers. I don't plan on booking again with them for this reason- especially if it's a policy with this airline- and since it is NOT with other airlines.They know how to treat business travelers. And Southwest does not assign seats.
Old May 30, 2014, 11:45 PM
Burgers Burgers is offline

Join Date: May 2013

Real business travelers don't fly Southwest because of the lack of a J cabin and alliance affinity but I digress....
Far from a Southwest apologist but every major airline has a standby fee - yield management. Become a high status passenger on a real airline and they'll often waive the standby fee.
Old May 31, 2014, 12:25 AM

Join Date: May 2014

Yes I have status on USAir and can always make last minute changes without this hassle. Only reason I flew Southwest for these trips was because I could fly direct to San Antonio. But just booked for week after next and going back to USAir- same price- not direct- but won't be hassled if I need to make a change last minute. So I will give up on flying direct. I have status on Southwest as well- not sure what it gets you other than not having to pay extra fee for early boarding and some drink coupons.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 6:18 PM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by marcyst View Post
The agent may have looked at the fare you paid, and you paid for a cheaper routing from San Antonio to Tampa via 1 stop most likely via New Orleans and wanted the nonstop which was probably a bit more expensive for nothing. Yes the agent should have charged you. I see no problem here. Move next "issue".

Last edited by A320FAN; Jun 1, 2014 at 6:19 PM. Reason: ...

change fee, fees

In-flight Issue Etihad Airlines Business Class Lousy Treatment maxfoods Etihad Airways Complaints 20 Sep 26, 2015 10:56 PM