COMPLAINT: SWA Cancels Wrong Flight For Refund

Old Feb 1, 2017, 4:45 PM
angelo angelo is offline

Join Date: Feb 2017

On November 16, 2016 a ticket (Confirmation # BCGU88) was booked by phone through a 3rd party to redeem awards accumulated on my brother-in laws U.S. Bank Visa credit card ending in 7214. This third party deducted 20,000 points from his account to acquire the seat with the above referenced confirmation # (BCGU88) from Southwest Airlines (SWA). The third party used their Visa credit card ending in 5459 to purchase the ticket from SWA. Subsequently on November 26, 2016 I purchased an additional seat for $267.96 in advance using my Visa card ending 0793 per SWA recommendation due to the fact I am a customer of considerable size and knew full well that I could request a refund after SWA’s gate ticket counter agent could visually confirm my size for this second purchased ticket. Additionally, I purchased on the same credit card ending 0793 an early bird check option, shortly after purchasing the additional ticket and was able to check-in online 36 hours prior to departure to secure a priority boarding group assignment. The confirmation number for the additional seat was BXHPAN. On 12/13/16 upon gate check in at General Mitchell International Airport, as instructed I presented both booked flight confirmation number to the gate agent, whom at first was confused because she thought I had purchased the additional seat for my registered ESA dog which she said is not allowed. I reiterated to her that the additional seat was purchased because of my size. She did not ask me which flight I wished to cancel and it was clear that flight BXHPAN was purchased by me after the purchase of flight BCGU88 (via redeemed points by third party) and obviously the flight I purchased would be the one to cancel and refund. The SWA gate ticket agent presented me with a placard to place on the additional seat I purchased and instructions on how to request a refund for the second additional seat BXHPAN. After completing my travel, I called SWA to file refund claim number # 139389816. At this time customer relations phone agent confirmed that the card used to purchase this additional seat with card ending in 0793 would be credited with the refund (not the card ending 5459 third party’s card). After several attempts to have SWA correct their error, they have refused to take responsibility for the wrong flight cancelled (BCGU88) and refunded the third party’s card ending in 5459 instead my card ending in 0793. I have yet to receive my refund for the second flight (BXHPAN) and request SWA correct their error and refund my card ending in 0793 in the amount of $267.96 plus any additional cost incurred to file this small claims suit.

Please see attached boarding passes for both flights and please note times for each reference #'s. BoardingPassBCGU88.jpgBoardingPassBXHPAN.jpg

Angelo Joseph Messina
708-752-6340

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Jet Blue Cancels flight without notice vaporguy75 JetBlue Airways Complaints 7 May 15, 2014 10:33 PM
Customer Service Mean Customer Service rep spitefully cancels flight Arock2 Customer Service 0 Jan 6, 2014 5:45 PM
Reservations Phone Booking- Wrong transactions- NO Refund!! vibhu123 Etihad Airways Complaints 0 Aug 28, 2012 8:46 AM
Frontier Airline cancels flight lysander12 Frontier Airlines Complaints 4 Jul 19, 2011 9:15 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked delta cancels flight and doesn't notify mparks Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Jun 10, 2008 1:14 AM