COMPLAINT: Abusive Capt. ELP-LAX

Old Jul 6, 2012, 8:23 PM

Join Date: Jul 2012

Flight 40 from El Paso to Los Angeles on July 6, 2012 was the worst flight I've ever taken. Boarded the plane to find the air conditioning blasting so loud you could not hear the Capt. or flight attendant announcements, and the temperature was extremely cold. During flight, three passengers complained to the stew, who complained to Capt. Frank who was in control of the a/c, yet the temperature remained freezing. Mid-flight the stew announced an apology to the passengers, stating she had told the Capt. three times that passengers were complaining about cold, but he would not adjust the temp. Upon deplaning, I followed the Capt. to McDonald's and asked him why he failed to turn down the a/c. He stated his temperature in the cockpit was just fine. I again stated the passengers were freezing. He again stated he felt the temperature was just fine and that if I had a problem with it I should "complain to Mr. Boeing." Shocked, I stated "You kept the plane freezing on purpose!" Capt. Frank then leaned his face to within five or six inches from mine and grinned. At that, I turned and walked away. I am cancelling my Rapid Rewards Visa card and switching to AmEx and Alaska Air points programs. I will never fly Southwest again.

Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:57 AM

Abusive? Where? All I see is you stalking him.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 4:07 PM

Join Date: Jul 2012

The three agencies I complained to yesterday are very concerned about the pilot's behavior and are investigating. They have accused me of no wrongdoing and have only offered their apologies, I am sure they are hoping I do not go to the press or an attorney.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:15 PM

Join Date: Dec 2011

You are going to an attorney because the temperature was not to your liking? Things must be pretty perfect in your world. What you may not realize about his comment about Mr. Boeing was that it is a very well known fact that aircraft heating and cooling systems are notoriously difficult to obtain consistent temperatures throughout the entire cabin,. Many require almost constant adjustment. I'm curious how you would handle being confronted out of the blue at your workplace? Many times flight attendants pass on the cabin temp issues to us, but what you may not realize is that often you have passengers simultaneously asking for it to be made both warmer and cooler based on their personal preferences and also based on how they are dressed. Often when getting requests for it to be made both warmer and cooler they are smart enough to know that as a pilot we can't do both, so they will tell the passengers they have told us when they have not, because its an impossible request. Other factors could be inoperative equipment being on an MEL that limits the crews ability to obtain a good temperature.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 5:35 PM

Join Date: Jul 2012

Capt. Frank proved himself a saddistic tool, and his stew Terri apologized to the entire cabin full of passengers for his failure to shut off the a/c after several people complained. Strange how you defend the airline when you were not there to experience the distressing condition. Let's let the proper investigative agency do their job to interview and maybe even test Capt. Frank, m'kay?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 6:37 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

So, you were unable to turn off the air vents above you? They wouldn't close?
Old Jul 7, 2012, 7:11 PM

Join Date: Jul 2012

Everybody had their vents shut off and were sitting with their arms folded and were shivering. The cold air was blowing gales from another souce inside the cabin. No blankets were offered and most people had no winter wear to bundle up in. For a short time Capt. Frank did turn the a/c off (perhaps 10 mins.), and then he went back to turning the a/c back to freezing cold for the rest of the flight. I'm sure we won't be the only folks chosing another airline carrier after this experience. And to answer the question of what I would do if somebody came to me with a customer service problem, I handle those questions routinely in my executive position at my company under my given name, first and last. I am appalled that Southwest Airlines hides the identity of its employees so that the public cannot know the true identity of the people to whom we are entrusting our lives. And how, pray tell, may we even verify the licensing history of the pilots? I must contact my friends, colleagues and relatives working in Washington, DC about this.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:40 PM

You're absolutely right about everything. I encourage you to pursue this to it's conclusion. And to then also contact your peers to find out how these clowns get licensed. Please keep this thread updated. I wish you luck.
Old Jul 7, 2012, 11:59 PM

Join Date: Jul 2012

Thanks, Judge. I trust you are sincere. The funny thing about Capt. Frank's comment to me about taking my complaint to "Mr. Boeing" is that my eldest son has flown Boeing jets for ten years, has been honored by Boeing for his outstanding performance, and he now holds an avionics directorship in Washington, D.C. Capt. Frank will certainly now get the attention he deserves.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 12:10 AM

Join Date: Dec 2011

I'm guessing Mr. Business doesn't understand sarcasm...I'm also sure that his friends in dc will surely immediately revoke all of the captains licenses based on the fact that a passenger didn't care for the temperature of the aircraft....

For those a bit slow on the uptake these comments are also sarcasm.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:10 AM

Mr Business is a fantasist who has probably never been on an airplane in his life.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:32 AM
Manfred V Manfred V is offline

Join Date: Jul 2012

Commercial passenger airline pilots are nothing more than glorified bus drivers. They are supposed to be concerned with passenger comfort first and foremost, but they are mostly bitter because they have flown from Omaha to Dallas, then Dallas to Denver, then Denver to Seattle, then Seattle to Portland. They then layover for the night and do the same route in reverse the next day. Most are ex-military that are used to being told what to wear, where to be, when to be there and what to do. Having a care in the world for a stupid civilian passenger is the last thing on their mind. I would not be the least surprised that Capt. Frank adjusted the cabin temp. to the oppisite of the request just for spite.
He should look for a job transfer to Fed Ex or UPS and only have to deal with cargo.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:37 AM

h
They are supposed to be concerned with passenger comfort first and foremost
I prefer when they are conerned with safety first and foremost. Despite my criticisms, the US airline industry is the safest in the world, so in that respect their priorities are correct.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 1:51 AM
Manfred V Manfred V is offline

I couldn't agree more.
But, when between the two of them in the cockpit, they are challenged to keep the cabin temp. at a comfortable level, you have to wonder if the plane is poorly maintained, are the pilots incompetent or are they just obstinate *******s???
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:28 AM

Yeah, if you think this event ever happened except in the fevered imagination of the OP....

1. The passenger followed the Capt to McDonalds.
When an aircraft lands, the passengers disembark before the crew. For this to pan out the OP had to disembark then sit and wait for the crew to get off. How did he even kbow they would disembark? Did he just wait on the off chance? For what purpose?

Then, he follows the guy to a fast food restaurant to confront him about the temperature. He has already crossed the line from irate passenger to nutter...but

2. He finds three agencies, count them 3, all of whom respond to his serious complaint and immediately apologise, reassuring the OP they have no criticism of him and launch an investigation into this major incident, so fearful are they of a lawsuit which could potentially bring down civil aviation in the US.

3. The proper "investigation agency" meanwhile is getting ready to interview Capt Frank about this scandal, and perhaps even test him. The National Air Cabin Monitoring Agency take their role very seriously and it surprises me that Capt. Frank has not already been grounded after displaying such unstable and sadistic behaviour.

4. Luckily, we have an alert passenger who can see the danger. Notwithstanding the efforts of the airline, FAA and DOT, we need alert, good citizens like ths one to check the credentials of the pilots flying us. Luckily for us, he is an influential man who knows people in Washington. Things are gonna change... And our hero is right in the forefront of it. Without brave, standout citizens like him where would we be? You got to fight, for your right, to comfortable temperatures. It is time for another million man march.

5. Finally we discover why our humble hero, ready to take on ths brave battle can do so. He is an expert. Turns out his son has flown Boeing jets for ten whole years and so impressed Boeing that he was given a special award. Yep, the rigourous folks in Chicago and Seattle were monitoring all the pilots flying their aeroplanes and singled out the outstanding achievements of the OP's son for an award.

I think it is more than the son who deserves an award. For outstanding bravery in the face of chilly temperatures, and active citizenry I award the Rosa Parks Air Cabin Temperature Freedom Award to the OP All Business.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 11:29 AM

Join Date: Dec 2011

Now that's funny! I'm not sure...maybe a little sarcasm.

Customer Service Rude and Abusive Flight Attendants Guillermo Núnez Customer Service 2 Jan 25, 2011 3:35 PM
Customer Service Abusive ticket agent in PEI KBrothers Air Canada Complaints 6 Jan 18, 2010 7:37 AM
In-flight Issue Abusive attendants/captain mfwhitepharmd Southwest Airlines Complaints 7 Oct 31, 2008 8:04 PM
In-flight Issue Abusive Flight Attendants ecorder United Airlines Complaints 4 Aug 22, 2008 7:38 PM