COMPLAINT: Refund Policy Change

Old Feb 19, 2014, 6:15 PM
SRQBill SRQBill is offline

Join Date: Feb 2014

I just got off the phone with customer service and found out that Southwest has changed their refund policy in regards to unused tickets. I was told that late last year they instituted a policy requiring a trip you are unable to take to be cancelled at least 10 minutes before the flight or ALL your money is forfeited!!! They say info on this new policy was included in their emails as part of the many paragraphs of flight notices but I never saw it as many in this forum obviously did not. What is outrageous is that they take the entire amount of the ticket and not some lesser penalty amount. Also, they say " there are no exceptions" and are unwilling to help with a one time good will credit. As a senior citizen and Veteran I am very disappointed this airline is "scamming" me out of my retirement money. I have supported them for years but now will certainly look to book flights on other airlines even if I have to pay a little more.

Last edited by SRQBill; Feb 19, 2014 at 6:19 PM.

Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:13 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

Perhaps you should try Delta, United, or Spirit. I am certain that you will be very happy with their policies regarding flight cancellations and travel fund expiration.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 5:05 PM
Burgers Burgers is offline

Join Date: May 2013

As a former veteran a resounding.... SO WHAT. Your service is appreciated but don't expect any special treatment... geesh.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 2:08 AM
billnolongerfliesswa billnolongerfliesswa is offline

Join Date: Mar 2014

Southwest shafted me for the second time on this policy. You are right, once you miss the first leg of the flight, why should you have to forfeit all funds for all legs of the flight, even if they are several days later? Makes no logical sense because it cannot cost the airline anything substantial. This time they got me for $727.00. It will be the last time. I am a frequent flyer and have had a companion pass for years but no more SWA. I made a simple mistake in my booking and booked 2 trips for the same days. They are keeping the money for both trips, with no future funds!!! I haven't even taken my return flight yet, and I can not even get in the seat I have paid for!!!! So they will sell my seat to someone else and get paid twice for it! I will be on the same flight in my "2nd" seat, so I guess they will get two fares from me and one from whomever buys my second seat! Kelley is hated as the CEO by the employees and a growing amount of customers. He does not uphold the values that SWA was based on. The old SWA would have never had such an unfair policy. If anybody else out there has experienced this problem, speak up.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 7:37 PM
SWAluvsIDIOTS SWAluvsIDIOTS is offline

Join Date: Mar 2014

Originally Posted by billnolongerfliesswa View Post
One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 8:13 PM
Der Richter Der Richter is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Berlin, Germany

You should fly Delta, United, Spirit, or American. I am certain that you will be well pleased with their accommodating customer service personnel and liberal refund policies.

Suggestion Refund policy KDBuch United Airlines Complaints 0 Mar 23, 2012 7:01 PM
Reservations Zero warning of flight change AND seat change AND loss of premium seat without refund ABrown Reservations 2 Feb 19, 2012 4:08 PM
Reservations refund/exchange policy stinks!! kbheru United Airlines Complaints 5 Apr 6, 2009 12:39 AM
Reservations beware! ticket change policy online booking chb American Airlines Complaints 3 May 7, 2008 1:03 AM