Baggage Problems
COMPLAINT: Damaged Ripped Suitcases

Old Mar 16, 2012, 8:11 PM

My son and I traveled from Bengaluru/India to Chicago Via Abu Dhabi on 14 March 2012. We checked in 4 suitcases that were overweight and paid $50 per bag -a $200 total. When we collected our bags in Chicago, we found 3 out of 4 bags were ripped completely. They are totally unusable and we had trouble dragging it off the conveyer belt onto the trolley. The suitcases were in good condition when checked in and one of them, London Fog was an expensive new suitcase making its first journey. We have been flying Etihad for the past 4 years and were quite disappointed with the response we got when we reported the issue to the Etihad counter upon arrival. We were given an website address and no further explanation. This was a loss of property and I expect an explanation from the airline...

Meena
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:21 AM

Normally when a damage of such nature takes place, the airline agents document the case and make arrangements for compensation/replacement. But the Airlines’ limitation of liability is an issue and the passenger comes out – nine times out of ten – the loser. But it is still worth salvaging something. Take note that fragile items, jewelry or any valuables are not included in their list of items to compensate. You will be offered a much lesser sum as compensation and will be asked to sign a ‘release and indemnity’ form. You may refuse, but Airlines are covered from liabilities in such cases by international convention! But it’s still worth pursuing…….

carrynoIncident

Last edited by remybanda; Nov 16, 2012 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Poor link
Old Apr 7, 2013, 7:35 PM

What did your travel insurance say when you filed a claim?

Tags
damaged suitcases, ripped