COMPLAINT: Cathay Pacific is racist!!! Do not fly with them if you are Asian!!!

Old Jul 20, 2011, 6:48 AM

I was recently not allowed to check-in to a Cathay Pacific flight from Seoul to Taipei because the "plane's cargo was too heavy".

What angered me more was the fact that Cathay Pacific check-in staff knew that no one else would be let onto the flight, yet they chose not to make an announcement and just left 30 Asian passengers waiting in the check-in queue for an hour. Only when I complained was I told that the flight had been prematurely closed an hour prior.

To rub salt into my wound, non-Asian passengers who joined the check-in queue behind me were singled out for preferential treatment and allowed onto the flight.

Cathay Pacific may try to argue that these were VIP customers, etc., but I am a Sapphire member of the oneworld Alliance - I should have been offered preferential treatment as well. Was it just because I am Asian that I and 29 other Asians in the queue were treated like dirt?

Shame on you Cathay Pacific!!!!!!!

I have written a complaint letter to Cathay Pacific seeking an apology and a full explanation, but a month later, I am still waitng for a reply (they asked for 14 days to investigate to which I generously agreed).

DO NOT FLY WITH CATHAY PACIFIC!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jul 20, 2011, 7:50 PM

It's hard to imagine they would be biased against Asians. They're based in Hong Kong.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:44 AM

I know they are based in Hong Kong, but they have traditionally been a "foreign/Western" company and are run accordingly.

I'm not the first person to complain about entrenched racism at Cathay Pacific. Next time you're waiting in a Cathay Pacific check-in queue or get aboard one of their flights, just take a minute to observe how different people are treated by Cathay Pacific staff. Absolutely appalling.

For the record, I'm still waiting to hear back from Customer Relations. 32 days and counting!!!!! FAIL
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:38 PM

I agree.

It makes me sick how their staff suck up to white people because they believe that their own fellow Chinese people are inferior.