COMPLAINT: Total customer service failure at BA

Old Dec 8, 2013, 11:21 AM
StephenSacks StephenSacks is offline

Join Date: Dec 2013

I arrived at the BA check in at Heathrow Terminal 5 for BA5 to Tokyo Narita on 28th October 2013.
My bag weighed 24kg.
The check in attendant told me that either I removed 1kg to my hand baggage or he would charge me 40.
I appealed to him to show some disgression especially given that my earlier flight to Haneda was cancelled so I was now going to be 6 hours later to my meetings in Tokyo.
He refused.
I then asked to speak to his line manager and appealed again.
He refused.
I then repacked my bag to transfer 1kg from hold to hand baggage.
My passport and boarding pass were slammed onto desk and attendant didn't acknowledge me.
The case remained on belt beside him and I walked behind towards departures.
I then watched as I didn't trust him.
He unstuck my baggage tags and placed them together again so they appeared to be stuck but weren't.
I immediately returned too the desk but my case was disappearing down the hatch.
I asked for his name and said I would report him.
He refused to give it.
I got the senior manager Amanda Forster over and told her what the idiot did.
She didn't believe me.
She asked the idiot on check in if he tampered with my tag. He said that he had restuck it as it wasn't properly stuck initially but I knew it was.
I told her to get my bag back and if I was correct she could discipline him and if I was wrong I would apologise.
She refused and told me to write in to complain.
I then spent the next 12 hours paranoid that my bag would be lost.
At Narita my bag did appear but the tag was completely unstuck and only held on by the pressure of the sprung loaded handle.
I wrote to BA's website and to Willie Walsh head of IAG with photographs since he is also head of the London Chamber of Commerce who issued the carnet the case was travelling under since it contained valuable samples.
Nothing from BA and an acknowledgement from Walsh that I used his old email address and that my complaint would be answered in due course.
That was FIVE weeks ago!
BA's strapline is Fly to Serve! Who I wonder?

Old Dec 8, 2013, 1:04 PM
Burgers Burgers is offline

Join Date: May 2013

Asked that the rules be broken for you (overweight is overweight, if its so insignificant try mailing a 1 Kg parcel for free) and they wouldn't comply and you escalate it with a grievance that wasn't legit - your bag tags were in place. Engage in name calling. Then you write to the CEO for what reason is unclear....
Complain much?
Old Dec 8, 2013, 10:02 PM
StephenSacks StephenSacks is offline

Join Date: Dec 2013

No, actually never before, you?
Old Dec 9, 2013, 7:38 AM
bilingual bilingual is offline

Join Date: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by StephenSacks View Post
My bag weighed 24kg.
He refused.
I then asked to speak to his line manager and appealed again.
He refused.
I then repacked my bag to transfer 1kg from hold to hand baggage.
The case remained on belt beside him and I walked behind towards departures.
I then watched as I didn't trust him.
I asked for his name and said I would report him.
He refused to give it.
I got the senior manager Amanda Forster over and told her what the idiot did.
She didn't believe me.
She refused and told me to write in to complain.
I then spent the next 12 hours paranoid that my bag would be lost.
That was FIVE weeks ago!
BA's strapline is Fly to Serve! Who I wonder?
You treat the personel as servants, you do not accept the rules and then you accuse the personel for tampering with your baggage.

Has it ever occured to you none of this would have happened if you had complied with the rules?

Whether he did on the purpose or you are just completely paranoid is an open question, but i would certainly not endorse but understand his actions if he did it...
Old Dec 9, 2013, 5:28 PM

This may be the epitome of an airline being able to do nothing right no matter what the result. They get a complaint because the luggage DID show up on the same flight at the passenger. Amazing........
Old Oct 27, 2015, 9:32 AM
Roberts Roberts is offline

Join Date: Oct 2015

It's really sad to see such unfortunate thing.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:33 AM

Join Date: Nov 2016

sad topic
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:48 AM
tomcruzz tomcruzz is offline
Virgin Atlantic Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Apr 2017

really sad

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Total disrespect from the new UAL GioInLA United Airlines Complaints 1 Apr 12, 2012 7:18 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked charleston service cancelled, terrible customer service jmb Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 16 Oct 24, 2009 6:38 PM