COMPLAINT: Cathay Pacific seats on Airbus 330

Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:15 AM

The flight from Paris to Hong Kong (12 hours) in an Airbus 330 was the most uncomfortable one I have had since the trimotor Ford in the 40's and Monarch charter flights more resently. The economy seats were not reclinable so they are obiously a compromise in design. Between the curved back and the slipping flotation-type seat cushion attached by velcro I ended up without any sleep and a very sore back. Unhappily, I have two weeks to look up against the return trip.
I will naturally avoid Cathay from now on and hope I don't run into this type of seat again on another airline.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Dec 23, 2009, 3:16 AM

The flight from Paris to Hong Kong (12 hours) in an Airbus 330 was the most uncomfortable one I have had since the trimotor Ford in the 40's and Monarch charter flights more recently. The economy seats were not reclinable so they are obiously a compromise in design. Between the curved back and the slipping flotation-type seat cushion attached by velcro I ended up without any sleep and a very sore back. Unhappily, I have two weeks to look up against the return trip.
I will naturally avoid Cathay from now on and hope I don't run into this type of seat again on another airline.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:22 AM
Banned

With a seat pitch of 32" in economy Cathay Pacific has more legroom than most US carriers who only have 31" on their long-haul aircraft. The seats you describe actually provide a bit more legroom since the seat portion does move forward slightly when the seat is reclined. It may not seem like it but the seat does actually recline just not as much as a traditional seat. If you were in an older aircraft where the seat back reclines more and the seat is stationary the person in front of you would have been reclining into your space.

If one feels cramped in economy there is always business or first class.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:29 PM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

it must be an Airbus 330 thing. i flew Lufthansa and Etihad airways both A330 (the LH may have been 340, either way i hate the airbus) and was also uncomfortable.i would rather take an AA super 80 across the pond than that lufhtansa or etihad A330 anyday
Old Dec 24, 2009, 5:03 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

cortney.....i think that the newer airbus's are much nicer than their older models (like the a340) for example the a380 is much much nicer and i believe it is much better and higher than the 747 and the new 777's i also find that boeings seem to feel much older and out of date even when they first come into service (like a of the line aircraft)

also if it was a new a330 that they traveled on than it is probably cathay pacific who paid the extra for the new "next generation" of seating, they put them into the newer aircraft first and over time they put it into the older/already in service planes....so the boeings in their fleet may also get those seats

i know that cathay was going to be using the new seats as i was reading it on a flight the other week and i hear that you either love the seat or you hate it......it has its advantages and its disadvantages
Old Dec 24, 2009, 7:23 AM

The A330 was developed to replace aging 767 and DC10's and is considerably more spacious and comfortable than the aircraft they were designed to replace. The Airbus's tend to have wider fuselage and interior cabin width than their Boeing equivalent, and in some cases can have wider seats and more space. For example, the interior cabin of an A330 is 2ft wider than the 767, and even the A320 is 7inches wider than the 737.

On the two aisle planes, I much prefer the 2-4-2 format on Airbus A330for example, which means that you are never more than one seat away from the aisle, compared to the Boeing 777 which uses a 3-3-3 format. This means those seated in the window seat are two seats away from the aisle.

In terms of seat comfort, it depends on the fit out of the airline. The seats are specified by the airline not the manufacturer.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 3:15 AM

[quote=PHXFlyer;14243]With a seat pitch of 32" in economy Cathay Pacific has more legroom than most US carriers who only have 31" on their long-haul aircraft. The seats you describe actually provide a bit more legroom since the seat portion does move forward slightly when the seat is reclined. It may not seem like it but the seat does actually recline just not as much as a traditional seat. If you were in an older aircraft where the seat back reclines more and the seat is stationary the person in front of you would have been reclining into your space.

If one feels cramped in economy there is always business or first class.[/quote

To PHXFlyer
Can't understand how a solid frame with no hinge allows any reclining. The last comment does not deserve an anwer.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 8:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by charroux View Post

To PHXFlyer
Can't understand how a solid frame with no hinge allows any reclining. The last comment does not deserve an anwer.
Whatever.