Old Jan 14, 2009, 3:02 PM
Simon007 Simon007 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009
Default Is the 520$ surcharge normal??

Good day all,

I just booked two reward first class tickets with Aeroplan for 160K points and was charged about $500 dollars as a fuel surcharge. I was wondering if that was common practice as I read in another board that Aeroplan should not charge fuel surcharges if we fly another airline than AC. Here is my itinery:

August 17, 2009 Ottawa McDonald Cartier Intl Apt (ON)
16:00 Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl Apt (ON)
17:05 Air Canada 459 Business

August 17, 2009 Toronto Lester B Pearson Intl Apt (ON)
18:20 Vienna (AT)
08:50 Austrian Airlines 72 Business

August 25, 2009 Vienna (AT)
09:00 Munich International Airport (DE)
10:00 Lufthansa 3551 Business

August 25, 2009 Munich International Airport (DE)
11:55 Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Int Apt (QC)
14:10 Lufthansa 474 Business

August 25, 2009 Montreal Pierre Elliott Trudeau Int Apt (QC)
16:25 Ottawa McDonald Cartier Intl Apt (ON)
17:00 Air Canada 8929 Economy

As you can see, I only use AC for the short hauls between Ottawa-Toronto then on my return 35 mins flight YUL-YOW. I still very happy to pay only 500$ for tickets that are worth about $19 500 but was wondering if we really had to pay that fuel surcharge.

Thanks in advance.
Simon
Old Jan 16, 2009, 3:49 AM
travelgrl travelgrl is offline

Default A/C and fuel surcharges

Simon, did you check the fares to see if you were to book them without using points if there is a fuel surcharge? I booked five flights last Sept. for travel this April. At that time there was a fuel surcharge. When I checked on what the fares would be if we booked now, there is no fuel surcharge. I'm trying my best to get a refund. It's hardly fair that we have paid for something they don't even deem necessary today.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 4:41 AM
Simon007 Simon007 is offline

Join Date: Jan 2009

Thanks for your comment. I did check around and found that I actually got a good deal paying only $500 for both tickets.
Good luck with your refund...you are probably fighting an uphill battle...

Cheers.
Simon

Fuel surcharge fees cathyluk General Discussion 11 Jan 15, 2009 8:11 AM
Baggage Problems Delays, indifference, lost luggage, the normal routine... Robert Essertier American Airlines Complaints 2 Oct 14, 2008 4:50 AM
Reservations Unbelievable fuel surcharge gwatney Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Jul 28, 2008 6:56 AM