COMPLAINT: AC Flt. #714...NEVER AGAIN ON AIR CANADA!

Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:08 AM
leatherneck leatherneck is offline

Join Date: Jul 2012

On 6/23/12, my wife and I were scheduled to leave Pearson Intl. (Toronto) for NY/Laguardia at 2:15p.m. The day before, I received an e-mail from AC indicating that on line check in was now available 24 hours before the scheduled flight. When I attempted to do so, what came up but "Please try again later" which I did several hours later to no avail...same message. I again tried the following morning...same thing. Thinking that there might have been a malfunction with my laptop, I went to the front desk...the gentleman there was most accommodating. He tried on his mobile device and on the house computer...same nonsense. I said OK, we'll have to check in at the airport. There, one of the AC personnel directed me to one of the automated check in kiosks. I thought hey, this isn't so bad after all, until the kiosk would not accept one of our passports. Mind you...there is absolutely nothing wrong with the physical condition of our passports...they are not crumpled or stained, nor have they been chewed by the dog...rather, they are kept in a leather case specifically made for that purpose. Now, another one of AC's elite ground staff directed us to the check in line. When we reached the counter, the individual there indicated that we were 5 minutes too late for check in...recall the flight was at 2:15 and it was now 1:20. Puleeze...If I recall correctly, AC's own website indicates that for flights within Canada or to the US, check in is no later than one half hour before flight time and we were well within that parameter. This bobblehead than indicated that the next available flight to NY was at 9p.m. that evening and that we would have to pay $150 additional to change the flight...What???...we didn't change the flight, AC did,and all because of some overzealous fool. Grudgingly, we submitted to this extortion. Subsequently , I had a brainstorm, or thought I did...The day before, I saw on AC's own website that upgrades to Executive Class were available for $99 more each. Thinking that since most people gravitate to the cheapest airfare, there might be seats available in Executive Class on an earlier flight. I proceeded to the ticketing counter and inquired...now I was dealing with another nitwit..she knew nothing of Executive Class (or pretended not to...maybe couldn't be bothered) but was gracious enough to offer me a $1700+ round trip first class per head fare from Toronto to NY and back to Toronto...Hey dummy, I'm trying to get home to NY...I don't live here!!! As it turned out, we waited for the 9p.m. flight...In that time span, we could have been in Europe or better than halfway to Asia. Instead of arriving in NY at 3:45p.m., we arrived at 10:30p.m....my wife had to be at work the following day and it being our wedding anniversary, I was hoping to take her out to dinner that evening...the nitwits at AC scuttled the latter. Now I am no stranger to travel...I have flown to Asia 10 times, have flown within Asia, not to mention jaunts closer to home, within the US and to the Caribbean, and never, except for one minor glitch have I ever encountered such a public-be-damned attitude as I did on AC. To the smug staff at Air Canada: Remember icons of the industry such as Pan Am, TWA and Eastern Airlines? Today they are but memories. Next trip to Canada, which I expect will be early next year will be aboard any carrier but Air Canada.

Old Jul 29, 2012, 12:32 AM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by leatherneck View Post
Canada/US flights from/to Toronto, and Montreal are still considered international, and yes international paperwork as to be completed, verified
aircraft security checks, you still have to allow extra time to preclear through customs in YYZ or YMX. So yes Air Canada is/was well with in their right to close out the flight when they did.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 5:54 AM
leatherneck leatherneck is offline

Join Date: Jul 2012

Originally Posted by A320FAN View Post
You clearly did not read my entire statement...What excuses will you offer for the rest of what we endured??? AIR CANADA IN MY MIND IS STILL CRAP, GARBAGE, A POOR EXCUSE FOR AN AIRLINE, AND A SLEW OF PROFANITIES WHICH ARE NOTALLOWED ON THIS WEBSITE..THEY MAKE NIGERIAN AIRWAYS (POOR RECORD, MIND YOU) LOOK GOOD. Our treatment at the hands of AC was nothing short of SHODDY!!! You replied that one has to allow extra time...granted, but why the misinformation on their website?...and why the malfunctioning of their website repeatedly (for at least 20 hours in my experience...maybe more, Lord knows...this is the national flag carrier???) I suspect their computer system is outsourced to some developing nation (no names necessary to us on the web) where so-called computer techs don't know what in God's name they're doing but hey, AC doesn't have to pay prevailing Canadian/American salaries to them.

air canada.com

Air Canada 8191 jhfulton General Discussion 0 Aug 31, 2011 11:45 PM
Suggestion Shape-up Air Canada! bumor Air Canada Complaints 1 Feb 10, 2009 5:29 PM
Baggage Problems How does Air Canada get away with this?? hulosh Air Canada Complaints 4 Feb 2, 2009 8:11 AM