COMPLAINT: Delta Negligently Signed-In a Woman as My Grandmother Without Proper Docs--No Remorse

Old Dec 12, 2012, 8:58 PM
jujuma jujuma is offline

Join Date: Dec 2012

Hello Fellow Consumers,

I just have to tell you all about a disturbing & unacceptable incident that happened with MSP Delta regarding my 83-year old grandmother on November 26th that was HIGHLY NEGLIGENT & A BREACH TO CONSUMER SAFETY.

While consumers are undergoing full body scans and high security measures at the airport, Delta negligently signed in a woman as my grandmother onto an International Narita-bound double decker plane. When my 83-year old grandmother came to check in with Delta on the morning of November 26th, 2012, Delta informed her that my grandmother’s name was already checked-in (with boarding pass issued) so they couldn't check my grandmother in. My grandmother insisted that this was incorrect and that she had the documentation to prove she was the real person. Delta staff kept insisting that “my grandmother” was already checked-in so they couldn't do anything about it. This matter moved up the chains, but somehow nothing was being resolved. When the airplane staff verified that yes, there was a person checked in as my grandmother on the plane, my grandmother's crying pleas were ignored. Flight #621 took off and my grandmother was left behind in the airport while all her friends had to go without her.

It was only until much later that MSP Delta realized their mistake: MSP Delta somehow checked in another woman as my grandmother. Somehow, this woman made it through Delta checkpoints; security checkpoints; and entrance to the plane without anyone catching that her passport & identification did not match my grandmother’s name or information on the boarding pass tickets. MSP Delta does not seem to be as disturbed or outraged that something as potentially dangerous as this mistake happened through their negligence. Their responses to our calls were very flippant and casual.

How can something like this happen during a time when high-security is being pushed in airports and on all consumers? We as consumers are enduring full body scanners and liquid limitations all in the name of safety while aboard flights and yet Delta (along with TSA) is undermining these efforts with their negligence and slow response to red flag situations that are potentially happening under their scrutiny. Thank goodness this lady did not have any malicious intentions on this international double-decker plane bound for Norita, Japan. However, next time that Delta makes this negligent error again, we as consumers may not be so lucky. Next time, the intentions could be more malicious and the results could be more disastrous.

With this amount of people on this enormous plane, I’m extremely disappointed that Delta did not handle this error more diligently and more urgently with safety for everyone on flight #621 in mind before plane takeoff. I’m also disappointed at how Delta treated my grandmother throughout this incident. Maybe it was the fact that my grandmother did not personally speak English or that she was old, but Delta did not take her situation seriously. Despite English interpretation (from relatives) from the onset of the situation, Delta did not humble themselves to think that it was their error and not some old woman who may be lying or be fraudulent. Delta almost made my grandmother pay the 200 something dollar ticket difference for flying the next day.

Delta has not shown much concern about the negligence that occurred with the situation. They have not given my grandmother a formal apology either. My grandmother cried all day from emotional distress because she couldn't go with her friends on flight #621 (and therefore not have English-speaking companions if she went on a different flight). My grandmother did not arrive until a full 24 hours after her planned arrival so she missed a homecoming party her family had planned for her on her first day of arrival.

Today, Delta finally responded to my complaint with something along the lines of “sorry for your check-in inconvenience—we will be sending you a Delta Choice Gift worth $75 in the mail shortly.”

Feels like such a slap in the face for all that my grandmother has gone through. I’m so upset…don’t know how I should proceed next. If anyone has ideas or advice, please let me know.
Thanks.

Old Feb 3, 2013, 2:18 PM
rgpnz rgpnz is offline

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Dear jujuma,

First as an employee of an airline, please let me tell you that I found your post rather distressing, and I would like to apologize for the trouble that befell your grandmother. I find it disgraceful that not only were the staff incompetent in their duties but failed to correct the mistake in a timely fashion and then had the audacity to send you a $75 voucher and I can understand how you felt that that was a slap in the face. While I cannot recommend making any further attempts to try and resolve this issue with Delta for obvious reasons, I would bring this matter to the attention of the DOT and the FAA for that matter. I am sure that the DOT and FAA wont look kindly on Delta for this screw up and if you choose to, you may make a claim in small claims court to refund the cost of the entire ticket which is the least that can be done for you. As I am outside the US, I obviously cannot make any guarantees on the success of any litigation but I did want to share what I am sure other people such as jimworcs, who is very knowledgeable will say or have said in similar posts. I hope things work out for you.

All the Best!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 3:16 PM
lostinlondon lostinlondon is offline

Join Date: Jul 2011

Originally Posted by rgpnz View Post
Dear jujuma,

All the Best!
There has to be an explanation for the mix-up. Maybe both passengers bear the same name? Happens more frequently that one would think and that would explain why the 1st person was able not only to check-in but also to pass security and immigration before going through a last check upon boarding without being challenged. Whilst DL may have been negligent, TSA and border control also failed to notice something was not as it should...
Maybe the carrier will up their goodwill gesture but why would they offer a refund of a ticket which, ultimately, was used ????
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:49 PM

I agree that the compensation offer was inadequate for the distress and inconvenience caused. I do not think litigation will succeed, as ultimately your grandmother did travel. I would copy your complaint to the DOT and FAA.

The error may well have been due to similar names. However, Delta was more negligent that either the TSA or border control, because the error was pointed out to them before the flight departed. The family did not notifiy the TSA or border control. It was seriously negligent of Delta to transport the passenger after being notified, and I would let the FAA and DOT know this.

negligent; security;

Baggage Problems Etihad:Theft of valuables;Claims docs sent multiple times, Bgclaims NOT ready to ackn NAVEENKUMARAK Etihad Airways Complaints 0 Oct 23, 2012 1:04 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked United Airline did not make effort and take proper procedure to inform customers abou jzhang29 Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 0 Sep 28, 2012 7:50 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Stranded in Chicago whilst grandmother dying in Nashville NoMoreAA American Airlines Complaints 2 Nov 14, 2007 10:06 PM
Check-in / Boarding Took woman off plane for INVALID REASON Barbquilts Southwest Airlines Complaints 0 Apr 26, 2007 12:28 PM