COMPLAINT: Problem with voucher--is this normal?

Old Jan 24, 2013, 3:16 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

My husband and I are having a problem. He got a voucher for a flight he had to cancel due to my military orders changing. We have a voucher number. We went to book 2 round trip flights, using this voucher, and the agent quoted us the discounted price from using it. Come to find out on our credit card bill, we were charged the full amount!!! we're outraged. He called customer service, and the rep said we have to contact them AFTER our flights in order to get the refund. I'm sorry, but this doesn't sound promising. Is there any guarantee we'll get reimbursed? Anyone ever heard of them doing this? We better not have paid $700 RT for 2 flights to Florida.

Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:02 PM

Join Date: Nov 2011

I am assuming the following: (1) This is a POSTED (not pending) charge on your credit card, (2) You are using funds from a previously cancelled electronic ticket in your husbandís name, and (3) The new ticket is for your husband ONLY.

If the above is true, I believe that you have been misinformed by the Delta agent.

When an agent tells you to contact Delta AFTER your trip, that generally means that they expect the situation to be handled by the Customer Relations department. Who are they? These are the folks that (in most cases) provide discretionary compensation AS A GESTURE OF GOOD WILL. Most importantly, that means that the agent most likely did not think that you were entitled to use that voucher as per their policy, and was HOPING that the Customer Relations department would help you out as a gesture of good will.

I strongly suggest that you immediately read the policy on using that credit. If you are truly entitled to it, you MUST resolve this BEFORE you fly with the RESERVATIONS DEPARTMENT. Once you fly, they have provided the service, and you are not entitled to anything. Good luck and let me know how it goes.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 7:21 PM

Call the airline back. If you were quoted a price, that quote is in the history of the reservation. After you have confirmed that the agent agrees you were quoted that, ask for a supervisor and demand that your credit card be refunded the difference between what you were charged and what you were quoted.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:46 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

My husband already paid the credit card bill. My friend had suggested we call the credit card company and have them refute the price, but since he already paid it, she isn't sure we can do that still.

Last edited by Rachael84; Jan 24, 2013 at 9:49 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:53 PM

Doesn't matter if he paid or not as far as the airline crediting the card. You will then just have a more credit, so to speak.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 9:56 PM

Join Date: Nov 2011

Yes-- go with what The Judge says. As a former airline employee, he knows best, so don't give up.

As I say, There are lots of conditions to using the value of a previous ticket. For example, his previous ticket must have been cancelled BEFORE departure, or else it becomes valueless. It's an airline -- they will make it as difficult as possible to use the credit!

Assuming you met those conditions, you absolutely deserve to have to rectified. Don't give up just because you already paid the credit card bill. You deserve to get your money back!

Last edited by Matt_FLL; Jan 24, 2013 at 9:59 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:02 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

I think someone messed up somewhere. He got an e-mail with MY confirmation, but not his. He got 2 confirmation numbers, though. Said in the e-mail with my confirmation, it said the full price of 1 ticket without the voucher. The total price he was quoted over the phone WAS with the voucher, but he has nothing in writing that says the price the agent gave us. But the credit card bill is $250 extra (the full price). We better get our money back. I just hope he's going to really pursue them about this. He's too nice and laid back on the phone and let's them walk all over him.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:06 PM

Join Date: Nov 2011

After it’s all over… I hope you keep the husband, and get rid of the voucher. Not vice versa! Good luck Rachael.

Last edited by Matt_FLL; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:10 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

Just not thrilled over the fact we'd be spending $750 RT on 2 tickets from NYC to Ft.Myers. Never flying Delta again.

Last edited by Rachael84; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:14 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:23 PM
The FAA The FAA is offline

Join Date: Nov 2012

Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I assume by refute, you mean dispute. It does not matter that you have paid the balance, you can dispute any charge to your credit card that you wish. I have, for example, successfully disputed charges for merchandise that was ordered but never received after paying the relevant balance. US law requires that the bank accept and investigate any dispute filed within 60 days of the charge's posting date. Situations that involve charges that are older than 60 days will be at the discretion of the bank. You can always call up your bank and discuss your options. If you file the dispute, the bank will then investigate the charge and either decide in your favor or Delta's. Be careful disputing a charge stemming from an open ticket, Delta may just cancel the reservation when they are made aware of the dispute.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:24 PM

Join Date: Jan 2013

Turns out the agent that booked our new reservation "forgot" to put the voucher into the system. The new agent saw the credit card charge vs. what was in their computer. So they said we'll get it refunded to the card in 10-12 business days. By now that's a week from now. Let's hope so...

Reservations A.A. Travel Voucher Problem brentcox American Airlines Complaints 5 Sep 21, 2013 8:52 PM
Check-in / Boarding Trying to use a voucher asanagirl Check-in / Boarding 8 Jul 6, 2009 4:05 PM
Is the 520$ surcharge normal?? Simon007 Aeroplan Complaints 2 Jan 16, 2009 4:41 AM
Baggage Problems Delays, indifference, lost luggage, the normal routine... Robert Essertier American Airlines Complaints 2 Oct 14, 2008 4:50 AM