Reservations
COMPLAINT: upgrade ripoff

Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:19 AM
Fashionperson Fashionperson is offline

Join Date: Jan 2013

I was told that if I bought an upgradable ticket (at more than double the cost of a regular coach ticket), that I could then use my miles to upgrade to business class. I bought the ticket and then I was only able to upgrade on the first segment outbound and on the return flight but not the 2nd segment. I could have purchased a regular coach ticket and then paid for economy comfort seats and my ticket would have been $800 less. I have not received any type of reasonable explanation as to why I am not able to upgrade the 2nd part of my trip. This is a total ripoff and I will NEVER fly Delta again!!

Old Jan 31, 2013, 7:57 PM
Matt_FLL Matt_FLL is offline

Join Date: Nov 2011

I totally understand that you are disappointed, and I’m sorry to hear that you paid a higher fare and could not upgrade. Keep in mind, there are some business travelers and wealthy people who are willing to pay thousands of dollars for first or business class on that route. The airline is smart; they will set aside a certain number of seats for those people, only. You cannot book one of those seats using miles. Sound annoying? Yes, in theory, but those passengers are subsidizing your seat, which is why your seat CAN be so cheap (cheap, as in, using miles).

The demand for a mileage upgrade will always exceed the available number of those capacity-controlled “upgradable” seats. So basically, it would become a first come/first serve situation—which many people found unfair. After all, should someone with an economy ticket who paid a fraction of your economy ticket be able to upgrade his or her seat using the SAME number of miles, just because they booked first? Many frequent flyers find that to be unfair, so the airlines responded. In Delta’s case, you cannot upgrade using miles if you booked one of the cheapest fares (booked in an L, U, T, or E fare). All other tickets are eligible. Problem solved… kind of—because the demand is still quite strong, and I still find it hard to book an upgradeable seat. Perhaps they should make it even more restrictive!

And I think you’ll agree with me here based on your complaint. It sounds that you’ve purchased a more expensive economy ticket, even though a more deeply discounted one was available… in hopes of getting a mileage upgrade. However, you still weren’t upgraded because the demand of those “upgradable” seats exceeded the supply. So perhaps Delta and other carriers ought to make us buy even more expensive economy tickets in order to upgrade. At the end of the day, airlines hardly turn a profit (hence the recent bankruptcies—even Delta!), so in order to just break even, they’ve got to put limits on the amount of available upgradeable seats. Good luck next time… just for reading this, you deserve a free upgrade
Old Feb 1, 2013, 4:47 PM

Delta are deeply unfashionable anyway darling, what were you doing flying them in the first place.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 5:11 AM
Fashionperson Fashionperson is offline

Join Date: Jan 2013

Hi Jimworcs-
Flying to Tanzania and going through Amsterdam. This is the most direct route but might have to re-think and go a different way if I go back there again.

Reservations Lufthansa ripoff instead of helping! pere Lufthansa Complaints 2 Oct 5, 2012 10:40 AM
Rapid Rewards RIPOFF!!! margar430 Rapid Rewards Complaints 0 Feb 3, 2012 6:25 AM
American Airlines Ripoff stephenashleysneddon American Airlines Complaints 2 Mar 24, 2011 12:29 AM
Jetstar excess baggage ripoff yublocka Other Airline Complaints 1 Jan 17, 2011 3:01 AM
Baggage Problems Bagage Size Ripoff noodles76 Baggage Problems 8 Apr 10, 2009 2:11 AM