COMPLAINT: Delta at JFK

Old Oct 8, 2013, 7:14 PM

Join Date: Oct 2013

My mother lives in Japan and purchased a round trip business class ticket to visit my family who lives in Syracuse NY. She purchased business class because it offers a bed and, she has heart problems at 78. I left Syracuse at 7am to drive her back to JFK and we arrived at 1:30pm because of heavy traffic in the NYC area. I knew roughly how long it would take because I picked her up. Her flight was leaving at 2:10pm. We asked a customer agent for assistance with the check-in kiosk, he literally chewed us out for being late. I explained that we got held up in traffic, he said if you left earlier you would have been here on time. Then referred us to row 2, who referred us to Dawn in re-booking. All of this taking us until 2pm. I feel that Delta agents should have made special considerations and taken her to the flight instead of wasting time referring us from place to place.

Dawn in rebooking also tells us we are too late and they can either put her on a flight tomorrow to Tokyo or fly her to Detroit and so she can spend the night and then fly her to Tokyo the next day and she would have to pay $1003 for economy one-way to Japan. We ask for alternative options. She said that was all and could not check with other airlines for a flight that same day.

We walked down to China Airlines they had a flight leaving at 4pm to Osaka but knew there was a flight at 6pm directly to Tokyo at terminal 7 via All Nippon Airways and were able to obtain a seat for the same day. Hats off to them.

My complaint about Delta is their Customer Service and that it is inferior They could get her on the plane if they wanted, we were there 40 mins before departure and could have an agent run us through. This is NYC and traffic happens so this should be SOP. The agents do not want to hear any explanations and the $2000 my mother paid for the return business class ticket is lost with no partial refund, voucher, etc. What a scam, Delta is the worst airline

Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:03 PM
azstar azstar is offline

If it's a regular business class fare, it should be refundable.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 10:05 PM

Location: Berlin, Germany

I am shocked, shocked to find out that Delta doesn't make special provisions for artards who think they can arrive at JFK 40 minutes before an international departure and still make the flight.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Renault View Post
You always start your comments with "I am shocked" are you an ******** or do you just work for an airline?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:07 AM

Location: Berlin, Germany

I am shocked, shocked that the artard doesn't get it.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:35 AM

Join Date: Oct 2013

Oh I get it. Captain Renault is a hired blogger by Delta .

He thinks customer service is something that customers use as a tool against corporations when it is the customer's fault. No, excellent customer service should be displayed by all employees especially under adverse conditions. This is what makes good companies better. The customer is always right
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:46 AM

Location: Berlin, Germany

I am shocked, shocked that the artard cannot spell GOOGLE.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 9:57 AM
Burgers Burgers is offline

Join Date: May 2013

I"m always amused by those that think they know business best with the nonsense about "customer always right and good customer service wins customers blah blah blah."
I'm no expert but I am one of the world's largest single owners of a multinational restaurant..... started from scratch..... I know a thing or two.
If customer service was so important, Ryanair, Allegiant, Spirit, etc wouldn't exist, yet they are the fastest growing airlines. Nordstrom's is dying, Costco and Wal-Mart are very healthy. See a trend?
Airline passengers aren't unique and like in many industries customers are commodities and there are plenty to go around...
International flight 2 hours isn't unreasonable and is recommended - NY traffic and slow JFK, what's not to understand.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 12:26 PM

Join Date: Oct 2013

Another paid blogger, I see there was no point in joining this site.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 8:30 PM
Burgers Burgers is offline

Join Date: May 2013

Those that disagree with the OP are paid bloggers.... so perhaps the OP is a paid malinger. If joining the site was to find others to commiserate in your perceived injustice rather than viewing other opinions yes you probably joined the wrong site. What a world we'd live in if we were all like minded....
Here are the issues I see.
Widebody aircraft are sending people down the jetbridge about 45 minutes prior to flight. At 40 minutes you haven't cleared security let alone be at the gate. Security at JFK is a horror show at best, beyond (non existent) teleportation to the gate you wouldn't have made it.
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:17 PM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by czaz21 View Post

A.) Yes I am an airline employee and proud of it.
B.) It is NOT WITH Delta Air Lines
C.) You are not out any additional expenses, YOU CHOSE TO CUT TOO CLOSE to the departure time of your mom's flight. You chose to come late.
Delta does not owe you a thing. Once of the biggest reasons international flights close out 1 hour before departure, is that ALL AIRLINES flying from and to the United States to overseas and Caribbean destinations, is that APIS MUST AND IS REQUIRED TO be submitted to all Customs and Boarder control Offices 1 hour before. I denied a party of 3 this morning that showed up at my ticket counter 55 minutes before departure for a 9:00AM departure to San Jose, Costa Rica.
You and your mom gambled on the time needed to get to the airport for an international flight and you lost.
Old Oct 10, 2013, 3:36 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Originally Posted by A320FAN View Post
A.)
Incorrect. The following information is from APIS website:

Transmission of passenger manifests in
batch form by an interactive method no
later than 30 minutes prior to the
securing of the aircraft doors (APIS 30)
Old Oct 10, 2013, 8:17 PM

oooooops....looks like another airline employee lie. Nothing new to see here.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 2:16 PM

"security", the "tsa", the "government makes us do it"...standard airline lies for crap service.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Delta favors Delta over their customers arriba Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Aug 2, 2010 1:43 AM
Baggage Problems "Delta CEO can't reach Delta,Halifax" DL6163 traveler.ron Delta Air Lines Complaints 5 Dec 15, 2008 5:07 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Delta FAILS! Do not fly Delta teyring Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Jul 23, 2008 1:02 PM