In-flight Issue
COMPLAINT: flight 196 july 8

Old Jul 12, 2012, 6:47 PM

my husband and i were on flight 196 from vegas to jfk. person sitting at window was oversized and took up 1/2 of my husbands middle seat. we were forced to squeeze together. we were told nothing could be done becuase it would be discrimination. Why should we be the victims !!!! We could not put our armrests or tables down and i was forced to sit half in the aisle sticking out. Not only was it not safe , but i got bumped every time someone walked by. Not fair !! we paid hard earned money for the 2 seats and did not get use of them. I want to be reimbursed for my flight.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:34 PM

I am a big guy myself and I agree with you. This calls for regulation. Southwest have a perfectly fair system, where the obese person can by two tickets. If the flight is not full, they are reimbursed. An alternative would be to allow passengers to buy two seats, but the second seat is sold without any added taxes. (Airlines pay tax per passenger) and at a base cost. This would encourage larger people to pay the fee for their own comfort. The current system of buying two full priced seats leads to this problem.

Either way, you are entitled to enjoy your amenity in comfort. It is not discirmination to ask the larger person to buy a second seat if they need it, or bump them onto a less full fight. It is outrageous to force you to travel in such discomfort.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 11:06 PM
Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

southwest does have a fair system, then you always hear on the news of a lawsuit because southwest discriminates. i was squeezed in the center seat from cleveland to ord, flight was full so i know nothing could be done. i just sat there and counted down the minutes