COMPLAINT: Layover time has been doubled!

Old Oct 25, 2016, 8:07 PM
Bluey71 Bluey71 is offline

Join Date: Oct 2016

Hi there,
I am in need of any suggestions people may have. I booked a flight for my 76 yr old mum and sister in May 2016 as we have a family celebration in December they are to fly on Dec 4th. I used a "travel agent" Cheap O Air....yes I am starting to regret my choice! Anyway I decided to book with Turkish air as they had the shortest layover on an already long flight from South Africa to Toronto, Canada. I was very happy both inbound and outbound flights were between 4 and 5 hours.
About a month ago I get a message from the travel agent that the flight schedule has changed and it's now going to be a 9h 25min layover in Turkey...crap but okay - it could be worse but we will stick with the flight it's complicated to cancel etc.

Only to receive another message a month after that saying the return flight is now 10 hr 10 min. And they wanted me to confirm this, I said this was not acceptable and that we would like a lounge pass for both legs. After much backwards and forwards we hear that it is policy with Turkish Air to give a hotel room if your flight layover is more that 10 hr....but the hotel is not onsite so you would need a visa....c'mon! Which is only a solution on one leg anyway...then taxi's etc. Surely a lounge pass is a cheaper option?
So Cheap O Air couldn't....wouldn't help....so I go ahead and email Turkish Air Complaints Dept. They say absolutely they cannot give me a lounge pass but the hotel room still stands. They would be willing to cancel or re-book on another flight....guess what fresh out they have no options. There aren't any other options!

So I decide to go to twitter just say...doubled layover no customer service.
Long chat backwards and forwards basically saying nope we cannot help you and when I asked that the issue be escalated suddenly the communication has stopped!

I am frustrated I understand flights change and I believe there was no daylight savings so it changed flights an hour. But to double the layover and you just have to accept it is bad service in my opninion. I don't think I am being unreasonable - they could surely offer a lounge pass. The bottom line is if I cancel they will resell the ticket for far more and they actually don't care.

So any suggestions of how to proceed will be wonderful and I hope I am not being unrealistic in my complaint.

Thank you for taking the time to read my complaint!

customer services, turkish airlines

Customer Service Service not provided for short layover time Asoke Kumar Sarkar Qatar Airways Complaints 0 Sep 20, 2016 5:25 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Switched to overnight layover flight ogiebjl Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Aug 1, 2012 11:09 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked United delay doubled the cost of my trip Murphy United Airlines Complaints 24 Sep 21, 2011 10:46 AM
In-flight Issue Layover Let Down Krystalraquel Southwest Airlines Complaints 9 Oct 10, 2009 9:55 PM