SkyMiles Complaints

Cheating from how to redeem Skymile on flight 28 jan 16

Old Jan 14, 2010, 6:22 AM
endtimecomforter endtimecomforter is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010

My family booked four skymile tickets on the website using three different skymile accounts, with three confirmation numbers yesterday. After we reserved it and the website mentioned that it has 24 hours window for issuing the tickets. At that time, it is $110 for each ticket (with $100 redemption fee). The representative did not mention anything about it or said the redemption fee will change. By the time when I tried to finish the process next day - only several hours different (the redemption fee becomes $150 each ticket).

I was upset and called the representative again and they said there was nothing they can do about it. The computer can not change. You either want the ticket or they will automatically be cancelled at the end of the day. Nothing is clear for this kind of rules - several hours different - I need to pay $200 more for four tickets. Yet, when I was on the phone with representative yesterday, I asked them to finish the ticket process. Everytime, the representative told me that you don't want to do that because you will charge for $20.00 processing fee with a human each ticket. In other words, they say you will not want to spend $80.00 more. But then wait for several hours and I got charged for $200.00 more (but no one warns me at all).

Then, finally I submitted to pay for the extra-$200 redemption fee on top of $440.00 (redemption fee). After I paid for the first three tickets, then suddenly I found that my daughter ticket was cancelled for no reason. When I called the third representative, she said that my daugther ticket has cancelled one day ago because it expired. I questioned how come all the other tickets are still there and they are perfectly ok. Yet, my daughter's ticket was cancelled since they all reserved at the same time. She asked us to re-book the ticket online again. We said we could not find the exact flight for my daughter anymore and we asked her to help. She said once again, you don't want $20.00 more dollars for booking through a human-person. I insisted this time. The representative said she would do it, and finally put us on hold and then for over half an hour and then us off.

I called the four representative. Explained the whole thing again. She looked at the four tickets with all confirmations. This time, she did not argue with us. She put us on hold for another hour and said that she needed us to pay extra 7500 skymile for exactly the same seat we reserved yesterday (then, the website said the seat all sold-out, and then it is not our fault just because the computer cancelled my daughter's ticket). When I did not agree for this treatment, she said she went back to the supervisor again. this time, she got the ticket, everything exactly the same... (miraculously the flight did not have seat before... now it has a seat for my daughter). Then, I got charged extra $20.00 on top of $160.00 for the redemption fee.

This kind of craziness of booking tickets cost us 100,000 miles and then, stress, arguments within my wife and me. make a huge concern to my daughter and she is afraid she was left behind. And it costs me $220 more dollars for the redemption fee. At the end, spend me over 5-6 hours on the computer and talking to a human (everytime said it will cost you $20.00). It is so frustrated. I cannot believe a big company doing that to her customers

Old Jan 14, 2010, 9:20 AM

It's Delta... they are not interested in you as a customer..
Old Jan 14, 2010, 11:51 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

Jim I reported you to the mods for an unhelpful post. HA! just kiddin.

Seriously endtime, I think you make this out for more than it is. I've never known to redeem miles to be so fustrating, nor should it take 24 hours to redeem. You spend the miles, you pay the fee, you lock in your date and off you go. This is the key statement here, from your very own complaint:

Bingo!

It's a very true statement when dealing with miles. Either you want it or you don't, It doesn't have to be made clear, that's almost common to anyway who has flown all the miles you have flown. And the same statement applies if your buying a ticket straight out. If you reserve a flight for a set amount and you don't pay for it right away, you run the risk of the ticket cancelling and paying a higher fee as the price fluctuates throughout the day. Next time endtime, insure that that is the flight you actually want, that way you'll save yourself a lot of stress of dealing with Delta's (or any airlines) website and representatives, rather than waiting several hours to actually finish the process, then have to wait several more hours to fix the problem.

But I don't think Delta is blameless in all this, if it really took them that long to fix the problem, then someone is not doing their job properly; If you have the money and the miles then the problem should be very easy to fix.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:17 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

Some regular posters are probably familiar with my view that most US-based airline frequent flyer programs are worthless. Southwest’s “Rapid Rewards” is the only exception that comes to mind. To my surprise I found a prominent travel writer---Christopher Elliott---who may agree with me. In an article in which he talks about Delta’s allegedly liberal policy of reinstating expired miles Elliott concludes with the following…

…you shouldn’t count on your miles for anything…Paying with miles should be your plan “B” — just in case.

[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Jan 15, 2010, 2:22 AM

I agree with the concept that you should have a plan B but miles shouldn't be it. Getting a seat with miles is ridiculously hard. If it's plan B, what is plan A? Using money? If plan A doesn't work, certainly, plan B using miles won't get you a ticket that cash can't purchase either. Bad advice.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 8:46 AM

Collecting actual frequent flyer miles is utterly pointless. Perhaps there might be some point in collecting miles which convert to other schemes, such as the Priority Club run by Holiday Inn chain. That is an excellent, transparent and fairly operated reward scheme.

Frequent flyer miles are nothing more than a scam. Often the fees associated with using the miles are so high, that you can sometimes buy a ticket for less. The availability is so poor as to render them unusable for many people. Shop around for the lowest price is the best solution. Business people collect the miles, paid for by their employer. If the employers had any sense they would keep the miles and try to use them, but for those people there might be some benefit, but it is marginal at best. It certainly doesn't justify not shopping around for the best price.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 10:38 AM

If the employers had any sense they would keep the miles and try to use them
Impossible. The programs are set up so that the flyer is the only one to get the miles. It would be very difficult to transfer miles to an employer as I believe to use another's miles, it has to be made into a ticket straight away rather than depositing them into another account. Then there could be tax issues with a loss of miles, an employee may consider it a loss of the salary package. Oh...what a mess.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 11:47 AM

Some European countries tax miles as a "benefit in kind".. .not sure what the situation in US is. However, I am sure some companies with very large travel budgets could negotiate some kind of pooling of miles.. anyway, the point is, the schemes are crap, not worth the paper they are written on, as create a false sense of "loyalty" which is all one way. There is very little reward in them.

Customer Service Was told I could redeem tickets, now having problems. bridgmane Delta Air Lines Complaints 3 Jun 7, 2007 5:06 AM