SkyMiles Complaints

$100 charge to cancel a reservation !

Old Jun 14, 2009, 9:10 PM
billwill billwill is offline

Join Date: Jun 2009

I had booked a First Class round-trip from Greensboro, NC to Dallas/Ft.Worth, Texas using my SkyMiles. I've been traveling heavily since the late 60s and have been a Delta Flying Colonel since the early 80s and have encouraged all of my world-traveling employees to fly Delta whenever they have a chance. Until now, Delta has been my favorite airline. Due to a health issue (skin cancer that needed treatment), I had to cancel the trip a week before the first flight. I called SkyMiles and they canceled the trip, saying they had returned the miles to my account. THEN they ask "What credit card would you like to use for the charge?" CHARGE? They charged me $100 (ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS) to cancel the trip and return the miles to my account! Needless to say, Delta is no longer my favorite airline. I have a good choice of airlines at GSO and will be considering every one besides Delta. This is one hell of a way to treat a loyal, 40-year customer.

Old Jun 15, 2009, 12:39 AM
mars6423 mars6423 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey/Singapore
Send a message via AIM to mars6423

there is always a cancelation fee no matter the airline you are on...it doesnt matter how long you have flown with the same airline, there will be a cancleation fee
Old Jun 15, 2009, 4:42 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Wow. You must be really ****** since you posted this complaint in three places!

Just so you know even top-tier elites on Delta only get to make free changes to award tickets twice in a calendar year. After that they pay the fee like everyone else does.

Did you book this online? If so it clearly states that there is a fee for itinerary changes or re-deposit of miles .
Old Jun 15, 2009, 6:48 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

Man after 40 years your willing to give up on Delta after one incident? Or is this the straw that broke the camel's back? I've flown United for years, and yea they've done me in once or twice, but they are still my airline of choice. If you're a 40 year flyer, these fees shouldn't be anything new. Yea you're given some level of apprectiation, and maybe even here or there they'll let you make a change without a fee. But even we frequent flyers have to pay sometime. Trust me, if you fly United or Continental you'll get more of the same.
Old Jun 15, 2009, 3:26 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

I flew Delta around 1969. That Delta died sometime after deregulation. Like most of its "legacy" competitors, the Delta of today is only marginally removed from Spirit Air. I never came close to "Flying Colonel" status. However that program, such as it was, had a lot of honesty: You traveled X amount of miles in X amount of time and you got a plaque, and maybe some other trinkets. If you stopped flying the next day Delta didn't try to take-back their plaque, as they (and the other airlines) do today with credited miles. When you've had enough of the frequent flier ("FF") shell game transfer as many miles as you can to a "frequent stay" hotel program. That way you can salvage something from your miles. Then--swear-off the FF game. It's the same all over. How many hundred-dollar bills do you want to give away?
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Aug 27, 2009, 8:56 PM
DL_ Employee_Pax_Smpthizr DL_ Employee_Pax_Smpthizr is offline

Join Date: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by billwill View Post
I had booked a First Class round-trip from Greensboro, NC to Dallas/Ft.Worth, Texas using my SkyMiles. Due to a health issue (skin cancer that needed treatment), I had to cancel the trip a week before the first flight. They charged me $100 to return the miles to my account!
I sympathize with you. If it had been a revenue ticket we can refund the ticket in medical situations. However, Skymiles reservations do not make this exception. We may have been able to waive the reissue fee if you wanted to just change the reservation, but I would have to double to check on that. However, redeposit fees are only waived in the following circumstances:

* Discontinued Delta or other airline service.

* Travel advisory/warning is issued.

* Flight delay/cancellation or schedule change.

* Bereavement situation occurs of passenger or family member.

* Platinum Medallion requests to use one of their reservation waivers (2 per year).

* Diamond Level will be have unlimited waivers starting next year.

I hope your health is better now.

Last edited by DL_ Employee_Pax_Smpthizr; Aug 27, 2009 at 8:58 PM.
Old Aug 27, 2009, 9:19 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL

Why is a thread, in excess of two months old, being "resurrected?"

Have any new government regulations, concerning frequent flyer programs, come-out within the past two months? Has there been any news items, within the past two months, relevant to the OP?

Or is this just an issue the Delta Media Relations Dept. has concerns about?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 1:02 AM

At Delta we would like to reassure our passengers that we "sympathize" with our customers.. now which credit card do you want me to charge the $100 fee to sir? Did we mention that there is an extra charge for a "sympathetic" agent. It is $50 per sympathetic agent call. If you choose not to have a sympathetic agent, we are happy to transfer your call to India. This has a customer focussed automated menu, guaranteed not to have the option you are looking for until you have been on the phone for more than 40 minutes. We will then be pleased to put you through to Sanjay in Mumbai, who sadly is unable to speak English, but will do his best to help. Thank you for choosing Delta... we know you don't have a choice.

Visa, Mastercard or American Express?
Old Aug 28, 2009, 6:44 AM
DL_ Employee_Pax_Smpthizr DL_ Employee_Pax_Smpthizr is offline

Join Date: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
we are happy to transfer your call to India.
Actually incase you're unaware, Delta discontinued the majority of it's outsourcing to India at the begining of this year. This was widely publicized. India now handles some Internet Support issues and Promotions Desk.

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
Funny, I've never heard of someone taking 40 minutes to select some menu options. Maybe you should ask a friend to help you next time. But if this is still difficult for you just hit the pound key a few times and it will put you through to a rep.
Old Mar 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
roybnyc roybnyc is offline

Join Date: Mar 2011

Tried to change my skymiles flight to a multi-city and that would cost me $150, unless, of course, I was diamond status. Come on. I was always able to change my AA miles with ease and not all of these fees. What about the poor man trying to get around the world for family events or is that only for those with money? When do things turn around and become cheaper? I have moved to Atlanta from NYC and I will try very hard never to use Delta again.
Old Jun 7, 2011, 6:30 PM
Hank Man Hank Man is offline

Join Date: Aug 2010

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
LOL Claiming that every airline "does it" reminds me of a teenager justifying a poor decision to a parent. It's just another form of revenue for the airline just as cutting out meals, charging for bags, etc. etc. Delta doesn't care; they just want your money.

Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Cancel of flight to Cancun mdisano JetBlue Airways Complaints 8 Jul 8, 2009 12:20 PM
Reservations Ticket Cancel?! skram American Airlines Complaints 1 Jun 9, 2009 7:04 AM
Reservations Reservation Changes, Delta UGH goldfastback Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Jan 19, 2009 7:12 AM
Reservations Reservation disappeared Allison Westberg Reservations 0 Jul 16, 2008 6:45 PM
Customer Service On hold for 2 hours, need to cancel flight. huskerbob1 Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Sep 8, 2007 7:29 PM