SkyMiles Complaints

Delta Skymile - Screwed non-US Account Holders

Old Feb 15, 2012, 8:30 PM
lilquigs lilquigs is offline

Join Date: Feb 2012

1st week of Feb 2012, I was browsing Delta's Skymiles page to redeem my miles for a 1night stay at a hotel. Logged in a few days later and can no longer hotel options. Only air and magazine subrscriptions. I email their customer service dept and was informed that as of Feb10, they've changed their policy. Non-US Skymiles acct holders no longer have access to hotel and car rental redemption. I was annoyed because 1- there was no notification of such changed 2 - I was about to purchase additional miles so I can stay maybe 2nts as oppose to and I would've been hooped! I went back to the newsletters I get from them every month and there was no notification of such change. This is the first response I got.

Thank you for your e-mail to Delta Air Lines inquiring about SkyMiles
Marketplace to book an hotel reservation. We apologize for any kind of
inconvenience caused to you.

Effective February 10, 2012, SkyMiles Marketplace will become an
exclusive benefit for all U.S. based Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers
from American Express. We realize that SkyMiles Marketplace is a popular

way for many of members to use their miles; however, we have decided to
limit redemptions to our co-brand card holders only going forward. As
analternative, you can visit delta.com/usemiles to explore other ways you
may use your miles. We appreciate your interest in Delta Air Lines.

So this is what I sent back

Thank you for your prompt reply. This is certainly an inconvenience. I
was about to purchase more miles in addition to my existing ones in
hopes of booking a hotel. Good thing I didn't as I would've been very
disappointed. I understand that you have to make changes and
limitations but did you make your non-US based clientele aware of this
ahead of time so we could've been given options on what we would like to
do with our miles? Like I previously mentioned, I was browsing online a
few days ago in hopes of booking a hotel and no where was a
notification of such change.

Whether Marketplace is powered by another company or not, it is unfortunate that you didn't even give your clients the respect of notifying them before you changed your policy. What's the point of sending monthly newsletters via email if you leave that important part out. You simply cannot pass the blame to American Express when YOUR customers are carrying/collecting DELTA SKYMILES....its not called American Express Skymiles. Extremely poor customer service! It definitely goes to show how you value your customers.

Your alternative suggestion is not satisfactory. The remaining option
does not work for my needs as I have no use for magazine subscriptions
and frequent air travel is booked by my work. As this change is recent,
I am hoping that there is something you can do about this situation that
would enable me to still redeem my miles for a hotel.

Delta's customer service supervisor got back to me with this email.

Thank you for your e-mail. We regret any misunderstanding that may have occurred concerning our procedures.

We have again reviewed the matter; unfortunately there is nothing we can add to what has already been stated in our previous correspondence.
Respectfully, we must decline your request. Please know that any
further communications would be repetitive and likely would not prove to
be productive. As such, we will not be responding to this matter again.

Please accept our apology for the unfavorable impression you received in
this instance. We appreciate your selection of Delta and will always
consider it a privilege to be of service.

Thanks Delta!!

Old Feb 16, 2012, 12:52 AM

We have again reviewed the matter; unfortunately there is nothing we can add to what has already been stated in our previous correspondence and frankly we don't give a ****. You can't do anything about it and we pay off politicians to keep it this way.

Respectfully, we must decline your request. Please know that any further communications would be repetitive and likely would not prove to be productive. As such, we will not be responding to this matter again. Please accept our apology for the unfavorable impression you received. This was inevitable in this instance, as we don't appreciate your business and will always screw you at any opportunity.
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:30 AM
lilquigs lilquigs is offline

Join Date: Feb 2012

That's pretty much the non-PC version of what they're trying to say! And that's the Customer Service Supervisor, what a joke! What is the purpose of sending newsletters and failing to disclose a big change you're about to make. Sneaky a-holes they are!!!
Old Feb 16, 2012, 1:31 AM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

funny you posted this. I was also looking into booking a hotel with my delta miles, since i never fly them (unless my company puts me on them), i used them for hotels all the time. i was really disappointed. like you...no notification of this at all. they can kiss it where the sun doesn't shine. even if my company puts me on delta for travel, i wont give them my number any more...their pointless to me
Old Feb 16, 2012, 2:29 AM
Ombudsman Ombudsman is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

It's the nature of almost any "loyalty program" be it airline, hotel, or take-away pizza. Terms and conditions subject to change at any time and usually without much or any notice.

I too use United miles for hotel stays occasionally as sometimes I will find a decent hotel for a good deal miles-wise and save spending cash for a stay there. My gut tells me when the program is finally merged with Continental One Pass that the hotel option will go away as well since Continental has never offered mileage redemption for hotels.
Contributing editor to one of the largest travel blogs on the internet.
Old Feb 21, 2012, 12:43 PM
cmon cmon is offline

Join Date: Feb 2012

Just sharing here my recent xperience with their customer service:

------------------------------------------
Thank you for replying. The Sky Miles credit card is for the US market. I believe you need to be resident in the US.

Kind Regards,

DELTA AIR LINES

To: DeltaAirInfo Subject: R
E: Skymiles credit card

Per my conversation with one of your customer service representative, it seems I am not eligible to apply for Delta Skymiles credit card and I think this is absurd. Please confirm if this is true.

------------------------------------------
Thank you for your inquiry.

We kindly ask you to contact Sky Miles on 1800 144 917 (option 2) for assistance with your application.

Kind Regards,

DELTA AIR LINES

To: DeltaAirInfo Subject:
RE: Skymiles credit card

Am I eligible to apply for the Delta Skymiles credit card if my country of residence is Australia? (checked the online terms and conditions, it requires SSS no. which is only applicable for US citizens/residents). If so, please provide info on how to apply.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:17 AM
ncini ncini is offline

Join Date: Mar 2012

I have the same issue and am due to be in the US in July.

Does anyone know how I can use my miles? I can't even give them to a friend without paying more than the points are worth!

I have spoken with Delta and Delta Vacations and neither of them will help, in fact they both refuse to help.

I am on hold with them right now for the fourth time this week.

Does anyone know anything I can do?

I guess I will just have to forget they exist

Check-in / Boarding How Continental Treats Their Loyalty Credit Card Holders pokepsw Check-in / Boarding 0 Dec 27, 2011 7:27 PM
British Airways Misleading its gold card holders Tony Executive Club / Premier Complaints 0 Aug 21, 2011 10:17 PM
Delta's New Twitter Account justme General Discussion 0 Jun 22, 2010 11:12 PM
Cheating from how to redeem Skymile on flight 28 jan 16 endtimecomforter SkyMiles Complaints 7 Jan 15, 2010 11:47 AM
Delta closes account but sells it back verichron Other Airline Complaints 4 Mar 6, 2009 1:41 AM