COMPLAINT: I leaving before I arrive, DUH

Old Feb 9, 2013, 3:38 AM

Join Date: Feb 2013

Thank-you United, for canceling my flight tomorrow (SAT) 10 am, and then rebooking me - with no notice by text, phone or email - for a flight on MON at 4:14 pm from ROC to CHI while keeping me on the original return flight (CHI to ROC) for MON at 11:45 am. Who does that? When I asked, I was told this was "the system." As if that settles things. Well, the system is not working, United. Fix it.

Old Feb 9, 2013, 7:18 AM

Well said.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:09 AM

Storm disrupts northeast travel in North America

By Christine Boynton | February 8, 2013

According to flight tracker service FlightStats, by 12:00 p.m. ET Friday afternoon New York LaGuardia canceled approximately 722 flights, counting both arrivals and departures, followed by Newark (715), Boston Logan (592) New York JFK (572), Pearson International (401), Chicago O’Hare (260), and Philadelphia (217).

“A major winter storm, with blizzard conditions, is forecast to impact the Northeast Friday night into early Saturday, as a developing nor'easter moves up the Atlantic coast,” the US National Weather Service said in a statement on its website. “Total snowfall accumulations of 1-2 feet are possible, with locally higher amounts. In addition, gusty winds will create blizzard conditions, especially along the coast, making travel extremely hazardous, if not impossible.”

United Airlines on its website advised customers of possible disruptions at 32 airports up and down the coast from Philadelphia, Penn. to Quebec City. Delta Air Lines said flight delays were expected at 23 airports in New York, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, Vermont, Connecticut, New Hampshire, Canada, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Maine and said it “encourages customers to consider moving up, postponing or re-routing their travel to avoid possible inconvenience from expected flight delays.”

According to the FlightStats website Friday cancellations were led by ExpressJet with 371 canceled flights followed by United Airlines (340), Delta Air Lines (255), JetBlue Airways (251), Cape Air (218), Pinnacle Airlines (186) and American Airlines (159). It reported over 1,000 flights had already been canceled in North America for Saturday.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 9:36 AM

Did the point of the OP go completely over your head???? Quit trying to justify something and listen to what the customer is saying.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 12:56 PM

Join Date: Feb 2013

I am fully aware of the flight stats situation. We did not get the northeaster here in western NY. It was considered a "moderate" snow. People went to work. Schools were in session. Clunky driving at evening rush hour but otherwise ok. Little wind. And as of dinner time my flight was still on. It was coming from Dulles which also was not affected. I found out about the cancellation through a call from my daughter around 9 pm and then confirmed it by going to the United website. By then it was too late to do anything. And they had me returning before I even leave.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 2:16 PM

from United Airlines: http://www.united.com/web/en-US/apps...perations.aspx

Today's Operations

Weather Summary

As of 7:45 a.m. Central, Sat., Feb. 9, 2013
Click to EnlargeSee More MapsNortheast - A crippling winter storm and blizzard will linger across eastern New England today. Parts of New England, especially Connecticut, Massachusetts, southern New Hampshire and eastern Maine, could see 2 to 3 feet of total snow accumulation. Travel disruptions are likely and could last for days. Widespread power outages are likely. Blizzard conditions and heavy snow will hold on for Boston through late morning. Heavy snow has ended in New York City with just lingering snow showers. Wind chills will hover between -5 and 5 degrees around Boston through the day. All snow will be over for New England by the evening time frame. There will be considerable blowing and drifting of snow across New England today. Today will be windy and cold across most of the region with highs in the teens and 20s.

Midwest - Much of the region will be dry today, but showers and thunderstorms will start to develop late day for the central and southern Plains. The Plains will turn quite windy today. Winter Storm ORKO will begin to spread snow quickly eastward from the Rockies Saturday night and will affect western Nebraska, South Dakota, North Dakota and northern Minnesota. Blizzard conditions are possible from western Nebraska to the eastern Dakotas and western Minnesota late Saturday night into Sunday. Today's highs will range from the 20s and 30s in the Great Lakes and northern Plains to the 40s and 50s in Kansas.

South - Much of the region will enjoy a dry and mild Saturday. Showers and T-storms are likely to develop across parts of the southern plains and Texas late today into tonight. Some thunderstorms may turn severe tonight across parts of Texas, including the Austin and Dallas areas. An isolated tornado is possible in parts of Texas tonight. Much of the South will see highs from the mid-50s to the 60s. Much of Florida and southern Texas will see highs in the 70s. Severe T-storms may break out over a large part of Texas Saturday night. Severe storms shift into the Lower Mississippi Valley on Sunday with widespread rain for the Southeast next week.

West - The next storm to impact the country will produce snow over a good portion of the Intermountain West today. Windy conditions today across the Rockies and the Front Range. Higher elevations from the mountains of Utah, western Colorado and southern Wyoming could see over a foot of snow. Light snow accumulations expected in the Great basin (Salt Lake City). Today's highs will be in the 40s across western Washington and Oregon. Also, showers and mountain snow showers today over parts of Arizona and New Mexico. High temperatures today will be in the cool 50s across the Desert Southwest.

Operations Summary

As of 7:45 a.m. Central, Sat., Feb. 9, 2013
Cities/Regions that may be affected by delays:

Albany, NY - no operations from 12:00a.m -6:00p.m. (ET)

Boston, MA - no operations from 9:59p.m.-6:00p.m. (ET)

Buffalo, NY - no operations from 10:07p.m.-6:00p.m. (ET)

Harrisburg, PA - no operations from 02:25a.m.-10:00a.m. (ET)

Hartford, CT - no operations from 11:06p.m-6:00p.m. (ET)

Newark, NJ - no operations from 04:40a.m.-1:30p.m. (ET)

New York (JFK) - no operations from 02:24a.m.-12:00p.m. (ET)

New York (LGA) - no operations from 9:52p.m.-11:59a.m. (ET)

Philadelphia, PA - no operations from 9:53p.m.-09:59a.m. (ET)

Portland, ME - no operations from 02:22a.m.-6:00p.m. (ET)

Providence, RI - no operations from 10:07p.m.-6:00p.m. (ET)

Rochester, NY - no operations from 10:04p.m.-6:00p.m. (ET)

Syracuse, NY - no operations from 10:03p.m.-6:00p.m. (ET)

Toronto, ON - no operations from 02:24a.m.-6:00p.m. (ET)

Albany, NY - snow-airport ops

Providence, RI - snow-airport ops

Rochester, NY - snow-airport ops

Syracuse, NY - snow-airport

Toronto, ON - snow-atc operations

Note: United Airlines will do everything practical to ensure we provide the most accurate flight status information at all times. However, situations change quickly and many factors affect our scheduled operations. Please understand that a flight listed as "Delayed" may, depending on the circumstances, depart "On Time". We suggest you always check-in for the original scheduled departure time of your flight
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:51 PM

Join Date: Feb 2013

Someone - representative of United?? - is completely missing the point. Weather is weather, and as a Rochester, NY native I know that. AND, yes, indeedy, I checked the flight status starting THU and going through FRI afternoon.

Focusing on flight status does nothing to solve the real issues, which are that:

1. I, the customer, was not notified as I should have been.
My profile requested a text message - to date, I have received nothing, no text, no phone call, no email that my flight was even cancelled.

BUT again - as of late afternoon FRI 2/9 my flight was still scheduled. I did check - remember, I live in Rochester, NY in the snow belt. I check.

2. United did rebook me - good job, United.
BUT I have a problem with leaving for Chicago AFTER my scheduled return from Chicago. AND the 2 agents and 1 supervisor that I talked to about this said that this is "the system." As if that explains it.

If this is the system that UNITED and its customers are relying on for weather- and emergency-related rebookings - then it is seriously flawed.

This systems complaint needs to reach the top management and IT people. It needs to be addressed. Facebook postings suggest that mine is not the only complaint UNITED has received regarding these issues.

Bottom-line. You cannot fix the weather, BUT you sure as heck can take all necessary steps to ensure that all "systems" and operations are providing the best- and appropriate - service for customers. What good is a system that makes stupid mistakes? What good is a company without satisfied customers?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 4:59 PM

As I said.......a320 is not getting the point but instead if focusing on justifying the cancellations. Ho hum, this site is stale.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 5:50 PM

Originally Posted by ascjudi View Post

1. I, the customer, was not notified as I should have been.

2. United did rebook me - good job, United.

No, I am not an employee of United. I do have many friends at United though. I am employeed about abother airline. You obviously think your the only one who should have had special a special arrangement made for just your self.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 1:18 AM
Ombudsman Ombudsman is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

Obviously the "system" was designed to rebook the affected flight segment(s) to the next available flight to the same city regardless of other flights in the itinerary. I'm sure if you were to look at your e-ticket it was not reissued as a trip in the opposite direction. United's priority was to reserve a seat for you on the next available flight and leave the "clean-up" work of rebooking other segments and reissuing the ticket for later.

Would you rather they just cancel your flight and not re-book you until you contact them? By then the seats on that Monday flight might have all been snapped up by other travelers. You are complaining about nothing.
Contributing editor to one of the largest travel blogs on the internet.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 2:35 PM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

Ombudsman is right. they rebooked your first segment on the next available flight to get you out. CALL united and tell them the situation, im sure they will help you with changing your return flight. done. why complain?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 11:45 AM
AADFW AADFW is offline

Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
Ho hum, this site is stale.
I gotta admit, I absolutely HATED PHXFlyer and loved when he got banned, but while he was active he did bring enough disruption to this website to make it more interesting.

Check-in / Boarding Leaving Luggage and Flight Sched Fiasco skyhiker Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Jun 2, 2009 6:14 AM
Check-in / Boarding Plane departs early leaving passenger behind djmorris901 American Airlines Complaints 6 Apr 11, 2009 10:09 PM