General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

When is it okay for an airline to release your seat?

Old Oct 18, 2009, 10:10 AM

It amuses me too. For example, if the plane holds 200 people and 150 are booked and 145 made it and 1 group of 5 people traveling together miss it, that tells me that 145 people are observant and the group of 5 was probably ordering another round at the bar on the vouchers they were given. Again, passengers need to listen up, use common sense and not be wandering blind and deaf around the airport.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 5:53 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

[quote=The_Judge;12371] probably ordering another round at the bar on the vouchers they were given. quote]

Well, next time I'm traveling I'll be sure to inquire about my "bar vouchers". Probably the airlines need a genius to tell them that if they want passengers to stay around at the gate during a delay, they should give out vouchers redeemable only at a concession near to that gate.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:14 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

[quote=AirlinesMustPay;12374]
Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post

Usually delays that change and have departure times suddenly move up are due to weather and/or ATC holds/stops. In that case the airline wouldn't be giving out vouchers anyway. Almost all of the mechanical delays I've experienced have stuck with the posted rescheduled departure time or have been pushed out to an even later time. Mechanics seem to know their jobs well and give good estimates for repair times based on the issue, availability of parts, etc. If they finish early it is usually by just a few minutes and not by an hour.

Additionally when there's a mechanical delay the captain re-schedules the takeoff slot with ATC based on the mechanics time estimate so it's different from a weather delay where ATC is calling the shots and can tell the captain he needs to push back in X minutes or lose his slot to another airplane.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 6:39 PM

Location: NY NY

What if you're at a gate where there are no concessions nearby? What if you're at a gate with a Mcdonalds, but you only eat kosher? What about people with strict diets? What if you're only concession is a bar, really wouldn't wanna bring children and babies, would you? What if you're near a BBQ place and you're a strict Vegetarian? See why you can't be specific?

It always amuses me that gate agents often use the "everyone else" heard the announcement as if they are suggesting that the person was lying. If they heard the announcement, do you think they deliberately missed the flight; decided to ignore it or had cooked up some dastardly scheme to make Delta look bad?
It amuses everyone Jim, but it wasn't funny when it happened to me. However I didn't push blame on anyone because I was on the phone, forgot the time and thinking "well they did say estimate time was such and such", so I went back at that time and wouldn't ya know? Gone! No one is saying that people miss their flight on purpose, but it happens and just like we expect the airlines to keep us posted on delays, why is it difficult for us to check back at the gate for the updates? I made the mistake once, hasn't happened again.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 7:06 PM

Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post

Bob, what if, what if, what if ... ? For some, for every solution there is a problem. That's why I say I should be the genius the airlines hire to sort out these problems.

The airline issues vouchers for the nearest concession, and for those passengers who have strict dietary requirements, they usually walk with their own food and snacks anyway, or they can be warned that if they need to go further to get food, they must head back immediately to the gate area.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 3:33 AM

Location: NY NY

No, trust me you have not solved the problem, because if if this idea went through you'd be a laughing stock and opening yourself to more problems over something that can be so simple. You say the airlines should give vouchers for the nearest concessions is a joke, totally laughable. Again re-read what I wrote. And the what if's matter because these are questions that will come up if you tried to implement such an idea. You can't just come up with an idea and NOT wonder "what if".

Here is what I mean: a week ago, I took a flight on Continental that left out of gate 115, if you know newark it's waaaaaaaay in and down a level. You know the "nearest" concession at the time is a pizza shop and a coffee place. For most that's reasonable, right? So now let's implement your idea. We give vouchers for the coffee house and/or pizza shop. But much further away is a Ruby's burger place, why can't I get a voucher there? up and to the left of that is La petit Bistro (I love that place) why can't I get a voucher there? These places are not that close yet not that far that I can't get something and go right back. These are the "what if's" you will avoid if you just give a voucher for wherever and not be specific, yet also let the passengers know to be back within a certain time for updates or boarding because of the slot.

And it's true that most people with Strict dietery needs MIGHT carry all their foods, again "what if" (there it is again) they didn't or forget to bring food. Or because its a delay what if they eat all their provisions...... that "specific" voucher will anger a lot of people.

Airline genuis.... If you can't think outside the box... then genius you are not.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:19 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

i guess we could also point out that if airlinesmustpay was a genious than the $500 vouchars he would be talking about would be more expensive than the tickets themselves (i remember him sayin that in some posts) thats just bad business and you wouldnt be working for anyone with a decision like that

also he refers to a law "Lisi" which was created in the 1960's and since then there have been many updated and new laws which are more relevant with todays policies and it seems that people may need to know what applies in what situations

how about this? instead of the airlines giving out vouchars for food, why dont they come around with a cart of bagels, sandwiches and chips, and if you want something than you get it (no cost) if not than that is your choice, and that way it keeps people from wondering around after vouchars would be given (in your examples) and if the take off is moved up than they can get boarded and get underway faster
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:29 AM

Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post

Well Bob, you yourself said you didn't even care for the $8 voucher. I thought you were one of the self-sufficient Americans who didn't need to be taken care of. It seems that deep down you are a wimp/whiner/complainer/griper like the rest of us, and are begging for a voucher for Ruby's and La Petit Bistro.

Someone suggested that the 5 were using the vouchers to have a last drink at the bar. Whether that was the case or not, the airline doesn't want people wandering far in a situation like this. So between the pizza shop and coffee house, you must be able to get slices of pizza or sandwiches and coffee or soda for $8 each. If you love the bistro, or if you are looking for kosher food, that's just fine. I understand that because I myself love the smell of Cuban pot roast and the latin music at La Carreta in Miami International. But now that I have been told to get back immediately, if I decided to go there, I may have to get it "take out" and return to eat it at the boarding area.

If I was the airline representative, people wanting to go further than the pizza shop and coffee house will be doing that at their own expense and at their own risk, and I will warn them to hurry back, because now that I've told you to be back here, there are no vouchers to give out if you are late (I might even charge you a change of date fee if you miss this flight).

Last edited by AirlinesMustPay; Oct 19, 2009 at 5:34 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:36 AM

Location: NY NY

First, yes i did say I don't need the airlines $8 voucher and stand by that. What you did was try and take something I said about your "genius" statement and turn it back on me, which equals "Fail". The statement you mis-quoted was in response to your quote about the "what if's" and the response you should expect if you only offer a voucher to a specific place rather than just anywhere. In my statement there's nothing that says I was talking about myself. Please, if your gonna quote me, quote me while staying in the context of my statement rather than going off and talking about something irrelevant. Now let me show you how's it's done "properly" (pay attention now):

Your quote:

My response: Two things wrong with that statement: First, you will again anger a lot of folk who may not want to eat at the places you say they should. And why should they eat where you tell them too? Why not give the option to eat where they want AND get back in time in case they can take off earlier?

Second, if the delay is about 2 hours, the airlines will say you can go away but stay close or come back in ten minutes or so for updates, which means no food vouchers, which means you will pay out of your own pocket for meals. Sat through many of those. So what voucher are you talkin about? Another meal voucher? Or is it that $500 travel certificate you've been tryin to sell? If it's weather, the airlines won't give it, especially that much. (though it would be an awfully kind suggestion). If it's mechanical, maybe, possibly they'd give. But then again you're sayin "If you were the airline representative". Now I'd honestly pay money to see you as the rep, I'm sure it would be a very good show and even make my delay worthwhile.

See how it's done?

Oh and there is a third - so you're saying if you were the rep you would threaten to charge people on an already delayed flight should they miss it because they were getting something to eat? (I sense a "what if?") But what if they went to eat at the places you gave them vouchers for? what if it's a long line (assuming there were a lot of vouchers given out)? You're gonna tell the passenger "tough, I told you so." hehehehehe yea I'd definitely pay money to see that.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 4:33 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

I can just hear the screaming protests, the various food vendors will bring to the desk of the Airport management, when they find out that they will be getting no business from various airline vouchers, because their place of business isn't close enough to some gate to get the voucher business.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 5:05 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

So who cares about food vendors' complaints? Let the Food vendors open a website called FoodvendorsComplaints.org and you good gentlemen can be regular posters on that site. Maybe you can persuade Kate Hanni to lobby for a Food Vendors' Bill of Rights.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:02 PM

Location: NY NY

Obviously you should care "mr. if I were an airline rep". wait, wait let me properly quote you as to show that I'm not insulting you:

And again you're still taking things out of context. No one is complaining about food vendors, this is all in response to your:

What Gromit, mars and myself has stated have remained on point, while you sir (or madam, let's not be biased) merely try to dance around it, coming up with such statements that are way off.

You need to work on "following" the discussion.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 6:38 PM

Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post
No one is complaining about food vendors

What Gromit, mars and myself has stated have remained on point.
Gromit was the one who raised the question of food vendors complaints.
I know that you Bob were voicing the complaints of passengers (and how ironic)

I'm pretty certain that no passengers would be complaining. Because airlines nowadays rarely give out food vouchers for 2 and 3 hour delays.

As an airline rep, I'm giving out $8 food vouchers at the start of the delay with instructions not to go further than the nearest food vendor and to return to the boarding area. Why would they complain? They are going to love me just for getting the vouchers at all. So when the aircraft needs to leave, I make a few boarding announcements, then take off. If 5 passengers reach late after I've warned them that the flight can take off any time, they have themselves to blame. When I say no vouchers for them, I meant the $500 vouchers for being left behind. But I'm saving the airline these because having alerted eveyone of the possibility of the flight being brought forward, everyone will be back at the gate in time, and in any event the airline won't be liable. That's why both airline and passengers will love me. That's including you because you will bring your delicious bistro meal back to the gate to have it there. You don't have to worry about being left behind, because you're right there. If I suddenly say the flight's ready for boarding, you wrap up your meal and finish it on the plane.
Old Oct 19, 2009, 11:25 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

You better care about what the food vendors say, because they will take it to airport management, who in turn will take it to the various Airline Station managers, telling them that they will not discriminate, nor endorse any one airport vendor over another.

Or have you never heard of things like EEO and Minority business laws? A lot of food vendor shops I've seen are staffed by minorities or owned by such. For any airline to say their vouchers can only be used at ABC burgers (because they happen to be the closest), and not DEF Taqueria will create seven different kind of legal hell for an airline.

Last edited by Gromit801; Oct 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:11 AM

Good god people. This has turned into a ridiculous thread. Is it so hard to listen to announcements? I was an agent/supervisor for over 20 years for NWA. When there was a weather delay or really any delay, full terminal-wide announcements were made. I've worked in numerous cities including MSP, HNL and DEN so even in the larger airports terminal announcements were obviously required so all passengers could hear them. I don't know where making vouchers good for vendors only in that gate area came from. Very cost prohibitive to prints vouchers dedicated for each airport and then even more detailed to include a specific area. Airline responsibility is to tell passengers a time and to make announcements. Passengers, believe it or not, have a responsibility to listen to those announcements. This really isn't that difficult.

Last edited by The_Judge; Oct 20, 2009 at 2:13 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 2:48 AM

Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post

The OP on this post said that 5 persons got left behind even though announcements were made. So obviously your announcements system doesn't work on its own. You even suggested that the 5 may have been ordering a last round of drinks.

So that is why some airline people need to be fired, and people like me be hired to do some of the thinking to ensure that passengers don't wander far away. This voucher system is so good, even Bob started begging for his. Unfortunately I had to put my foot down on this one, because the airline can't afford to pay for his bistro meal.

How can the cost of printing the vouchers' be prohibitive? As an airline rep, I would make it my business to keep the names of the closest food vendors near to each gate and make prearrangements with all vendors. So once I hear that there is a 3 hour delay at say Gate 31, I go to my computer and pull up the template with vouchers. All I do is insert the date and the names of the vendors near to Gate 31, and the flight number and print 200 vouchers or how many are needed. On my computer and printer it costs 2 cents per page to print. About 10 vouchers will fit per page. That's all of 40 cents for the entire 200 vouchers and it takes 5 minutes. When the flight leaves I go to the two vendors near the gate, collect all the spent vouchers to arrange for payment to them.

Come on Judge, you didn't really need a genius like me to work out that the entire cost of printing vouchers for that flight was just 40 cents, did you?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

airlinesmustpay, are you selfcentered? you seem to think that if you were in charge than everything would be A ok, remember power goes to the head, and things like this isnt like a quick easy fix or a snap of the fingers, yes maybe it sounds like a good plan but guess what many times things do not go according to plans, if it is an ATC delay than they can leave at any second and with people going away with your vouchars than they miss their slot and than have to wait even longer (and may demand another vouchar) and than you have to use economics (and your version is just completely off) there is research that goes into this to see if it is even worthwhile (happens in every business, no one will waste money unless they HAVE to) than they would have to get the names of every restaurant/concession stand at EVERY airport they fly to near each gates.....ya see it all adds up.....these vouchars cost the airline more than 2c's per page since by your calculations it would really be $1600.20 (200vouchars at $8 +40c to print the vouchars) just for that one plane at one airport........lets say its weather related, you really think that only 1 plane will be effected? nope and than it happens on more than one occasion unless there is only 1 delay a lifetime.........do the math its alot more expensive than you are thinking

maybe it is a nice gesture, but its not economical and if you did that than guess who wont have a job at the end of the day
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

let me add the $2,500 to your idea of vouchars to the 5 people who missed the flight

remember the vouchars must have value otherwise they would not be accepted by the people providing the food, they would make no money in that

you gotta look at the whole thing not just a quick scenerio that isnt thought out, otherwise everyone would be running to fedexkinkos to photocopy money and other things worth value and than find out that they just wasted 40c for the copies since they are not usable and have a valid code on them
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:00 AM

AMP.....man, where were you when I needed good agents for delays?? Sounds easy, doesn't it?

So the next day, you're assigned to a different unit in the airport. Nowhere near where you were yesterday. You gonna go negotiate a contract with those vendors too? (never mind remembering you have no authority to do so). Your plans sound great but the big picture won't allow it. Stick to law issues where you say your education is and I'll stick to my Singha beers and shelling out the occasional comment.

Last edited by The_Judge; Oct 20, 2009 at 5:03 AM.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:29 AM

Location: NY NY

Sadly this is an attempt at humor and it's just... sad.

Mars, this guy has a habit of overlooking post and focusing on items that he deems pertinent, which is usually miles off from the discussion at hand.

But I think everyone can agree, we should all fly AMP's airline; think of all the worthless travel voucher's we'd get. I say worthless because if he ran things, he'd be fast to go out of business giving away the house in food, travel, possibly hotel vouchers..... yea let's rack em up!
Old Oct 20, 2009, 3:30 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

Bob, you were begging for a voucher for La petit Bistro. This is what you said:

Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post

Why dont you good airline people get it? Your methods are not working! Of course it is true that announcements should be made and passengers should listen.

But that is not sufficient. The OP, a Delta employee said that five people were left behind. We are talking about a situation where Delta had to find five free seats on the next flight for them. Obviously these flights are full because he talked about standby passengers on the first flight. So by not being able to manage the situation, you are depriving the airline of revenue for the 5 seats that they had to use on the next flight.

When there is a delay we all know that agents are hard to find. Maybe they are somewhere inside relaxing, drinking coffee, but they should be within sight to answer questions, reminding passengers to stay near the gate. When passengers see a deserted gate, they are more likely to wander away.

My method will save the airline having to compensate complaining passengers who got left behind. That's $500 saved per passenger. Since I warned them to stay near the gate (I'm not seeing Judge or any airline employee say that they do that) and handed out vouchers, I'm not going to be putting them free just like that on any other flight, And Bob, about the cost of the $8, didn't you say that Continental already does that at Newark? So about the $1,600 cost, you say it's already being done. But it is done without any forethought, because like Judge said, once it is a voucher for use anywhere, people will use it to sit in a bar and miss their flights.

I don't understand why Judge thinks I have to negotiate a new contract if I am shifted to another area. On behalf of the airline, I have already negotiated with all the Food Vendors and keep on computer a list of all vendors near each gate. Regardless of who is at which gate, the agent will go to the computer and print the vouchers valid only for those vendors for that date. The agent collects the used vouchers immediately after the flight leaves.

This thread shows me that part of the problems of airlines are caused by agents not being able to think of simple solutions to assist passengers. All this "Sorry Sir" and "Sorry Madam" with their heads high in the air, comes from not understanding their role in what should be a customer oriented industry. When they see that their jobs are to get things done efficiently, they might begin to look for solutions to simple problems like these.

Now if I was the airline manager (I've been promoted), I would call the agent responsible, and ask if he specifically told all passengers that they should remain at the gate (I will also ask the passengers), and if he can't convince me that he did, I will give each passenger a $500 voucher and deduct this from the agent's salary.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 4:52 PM

Location: NY NY

Sad, just sad. I said if you are gonna quote me, quote me in the context of the discussion, there wasno begging by me or anyone, read the entire statement. All of which were in response to your giving vouchers to concessions near the gate.

The airlines methods may not work perfectly, but they work in the sense as to not create total chaos or total loss of business, which is what your methods seem to show Airline.

The last time they offered meal vouchers, it was for a delay more than 3 hours. I believe most airlines follow that rule already. And i don't believe they would use it to sit in a bar and we've all agreed that gate agents should inform passengers, during a delay when to come back for updates. (at least i think we agree on that?)

Soooooooo you would fine the agent, because he did not tell the passengers to stay near the gate? Not only that, but he has to convince you that he (or she) did? Yea your solutions suck and you sir are a joke times 20. But I will say that, I definitely would love to fly your airline, especially out of the NY/NJ area. given the amount of delays here I would score a voucher every time. Not only that, but I can get my fellow passengers to state that the agent did not announce for us to stay near the gate. 1 person can't be convincing but a mob can, and by your methods, we'd all get 500 vouchers.

You sir are not only FAIL, but as the kids say, you are EPIC FAIL. But please start that airline company soon, ok?
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:07 PM
Gromit801 Gromit801 is offline

Back to announcements not being heard.

As my folks always said, "You were given two ears, two eyes, and one mouth, so the almighty decided that listening and watching was more important than talking."

At at the airport, I watch the clock, and LISTEN. Even when I'm with someone, I don't chat much so I don't miss anything. Plenty of time to chat once on board.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 5:22 PM

Originally Posted by Silent Bob View Post

Bob, you've gone from begging for vouchers to trickery. Now that I know we are dealing with a trickster, it's a good time to tell you that some airlines record all their announcements. And with me as manager, we'll be sure to record all our announcements. If there was any doubt, I'll resolve it in favour of the passenger. So the agent had better stay at the gate and every ten minutes remind all passengers to stay near the gate for further boarding instructions.

Judge, a former airline supervisor, thought they were using vouchers for a last round at the bar. I believe him that this is sometimes done.

With me in charge you'll get no $500 vouchers, because when you get left behind because you were on your phone or in the bistro, you'll have yourself to blame because my agents will have been warning you to stay around at the gate. You'll have to pay for the change if you want to go on another flight, and if you're not careful, I might even call airport security for you and your mob. Instead of a hotel voucher, you might be spending the night courtesy the state of New York in a cell in the police station (but I can't guarantee that you'll like the accommodations there) and next morning appear in a Court to answer the charge of making a fraudulent claim.
Old Oct 20, 2009, 6:25 PM

Send a message via AIM to mars6423

since you keep going on about a $500 vouchar.......
say you brought a ticket for $350 that means the vouchar is worth more than the actual ticket, again terrible business plan, that would mean that if they all paid the same price for the ticket (a. i know thats not likely just hypothetical, b. the 5 people) that means the airline just shelled out $750 (150x5=750) of a loss (1750 total cost of 5 tickets, 2500 worth in vouchars so that also shows a loss of 750 to the airline) yeah thats not going to happen in any scenerio, they would give you a credit for your next flight not a vouchar.

You dont seem to grasp the economics or business sense, and i would agree with Bob and fly with you for maybe 2 times because your solutions will lead to a out of business airline, your solutions DO NOT work on any level, and if you worked for an airline than they would keep you far away from any decisions that lead to money being spent or economics, or for that matter business decisions.

logically the math is simple and all you will see is red all over the earnings and expense worksheet, with no way to make up that money the way you would run business