COMPLAINT: stolen items from checked in bag

Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:29 PM
deltaflyernomore deltaflyernomore is offline

In December of this year I took a trip to Texas on Delta Airlines. When I checked in at Atlanta, GA airport, my check in bag was free. No problem.. When I arrived in Texas my bag had been checked, my shaving kit which was clear, had been opened, and left open, spilling some contents in bag. This was irritating, but was tolerable. When I returned to Atlanta from Texas, I opened my bag at my car to get out my GPS, which was in the bag the first time, I noticed my bag had been ransacked, and no GPS was found. I also had my cell phone chargers, for the car and home, in a bag inside suitcase, but noticed the pocket they were in had been ripped loose from the suitcase, and the chargers were gone. While in Texas I bought a DVD and some perfume for my granddaughter for Christmas , not expensive, and put these in between some clothes. These items were also missing. When I called Delta and complained, they told me these items were not covered. They said their liability for these items was covered in an article or page on their website. They told me they could do nothing for me. When I pushed the lady, Mary Good, of the baggage service center, to speak with a supervisor, she stated she was the head person. After a while she did give me a fax number for the Corporate customer baggage care, she stated I could fax my complaint to them but it probably would do no good. I understand the Homeland security issue, but why can't the airlines search your bag in your pressence, so you could maybe lock it up when they are done searching it. Also if they had any questions about an item they could ask you then. Someone needs to be held accountable for their employees robbing items from our luggage. Why should we have to carry another bag or bags on our backs or as a small suitcase to secure these items. As it was the first flight the checked in bag was free, the return flight, the one the items got stolen, I had to pay $15.00. I feel the airlines should not be released from liability for stolen itmes from a checked in bag that was in their custody..... I will be sending them a fax about this issue, but I think more of us should complain until the airlines are held accountable for the safety of our luggage as well as us.....

Old Dec 6, 2008, 11:45 PM
deltaflyernomore deltaflyernomore is offline

Sorry, I needed to explain Delta may not be the blame, but the bag was checked in through them, and ultimately should be held accountable for their passenger's items.... TSA has been contacted also, but as yet the person I need to speak with has not contacted me. Will respond after their conversation.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 12:30 AM

Location: NY NY

Wait you want the airline to check your luggage??? Not for nothin, but it's bad enough I have to wait on a long line just to check in sometimes, you add to that the time it would take for an airline agent to check a bag????? Nooooooooooooooooo waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! TSA is where your major issue should be, start there. And never pack important items, including electronics, in your check baggage.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:00 PM
Corbel Corbel is offline

i will never understand why people put valuables in their checked luggage. the airline WON'T cover it, and delta really isn't to blame here. TSA goes through your luggage. and as far as your statement, why cant they check your bag in front of you so you can lock it back up...do you know how long that would take and the line and mess it would cause. this would cause people to miss their flights.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 3:19 PM
deltaflyernomore deltaflyernomore is offline

If you got there early enough you wouldn't miss your flight. Yes TSA is who my main complaint is with... But if you take your car to a repair shop and they have several mechanics, isn't the shop the one who is responsible for making sure you're vehicle gets done right... This is the same thing. Delta should make sure their passenger's items get to the plane. As fore putting valuables in you're luggage, maybe it was by accident, that happens. Should that give them the right to steal your items???????
Old Dec 8, 2008, 4:13 PM
abutterfinger25 abutterfinger25 is offline
US Department of Transportation Employee

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Washington Metro Area

Carriers state in the contract of carriage that they are not responsible for certain items left in your bag. Taking your analogy regarding the automotice repair shop, most of them say that they accept no liability for items left in the car while it is in their possession.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 3:20 PM
Corbel Corbel is offline

Originally Posted by abutterfinger25 View Post
exactly. a few years ago my parents had put in a brand new cd player in their car. they had to take the car to get it fixed. while it was outside someone broke in and stole the cd player. the repair shop said there was nothing they could do since they were not liable for lost or stolen items
Old Dec 30, 2008, 6:27 AM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline

Join Date: May 2008

OK, but flynomore, you kind of answered your own question here....when you take your car to the mechanic, do you leave valuables on the front seat?

You are handing your bag over to strangers. Yes, there should be a level of trust, but these things do happen. And it happens on every airline. I've seen my share of people getting busted for pilferage (even at other cities and other airlines) and I can tell you that they all have one thing in common, and that is that it's a crime of opportunity. In other words, none of the thieves came to work for an airline with the intent to become a thief. But with all the places that bags have to go through, the opportunities are there. We don't have control over many of the airport facilities, so cameras and the like are not always an option. The cameras that are there, are controlled by the airport, and generally they are only concerned with keeping terrorists out.
Old Apr 15, 2009, 6:50 PM
deltaflyernomore deltaflyernomore is offline

Just to follow up.... TSA stated "we have determined that there are no legally sustainable grounds upon which a finding of liability can be based on the part of the TSA." When I called them to question them, they stated they are under constant survelliance and that the airline is in control of bag more than they are.
Also, the items were in the suitcase because our cary on bag was full of clean clothes and other items that we purchased while in Texas!!! Why then can't we put items in our suitcase and expect them to be there when we arrive at our destination?
Old Apr 15, 2009, 11:27 PM

One of the most shocking things that the airline employees do is rush to blame the victim of the crime. Let's have another analogy shall we. If you are swimming in your garden pool and someone comes in to your house through the front door and steals your TV, would you simply say "I won't report it because it was my own fault for not locking the front door". The thief is to blame, not the victim of the crime. You can then advise the victim to take more care, but the responsibility lies with the thief. The airlines and TSA have a significant theft problem, but instead of addressing it, they blame the victim. This perpetuates the problem. If the airline took claims more seriously, they might be able to identify shift patterns when the stealing is taking place and eventually find the culprits. Instead, they put all their efforts into blaming the victim and finding ways to avoid their liability.

Everyone wants to walk away from liability. If a GPS is left in the car, often insurance will not cover it. But if the passenger takes it with them and is forced to hand it over (for example when gate checking due to lack of space) and it is stolen, it is also not covered. In other words, in this scenario the passenger could not win. It is ridiculous and offensive the way airline employees blame the victim of the crime and do virtually nothing to identify the thieves who work for them.

However, one other point. Airlines also have it in their power to address the problem of passengers over-inflating their claims. If a bag is lost and the customer is asked to provide an inventory of the contents, the airline has a powerful tool. When the bag is recovered (as most bags are) they should compare the claim to the reality. Where the customer has clearly tried to defraud the airline, they should prosecute. A few well publicised cases might deter dishonest customers also.

The blame lies with the THIEVES. Whether they work for the airline, TSA or passengers seeking to defraud the airline. Lets keep the blame where it belongs and stop blaming the VICTIM.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 8:42 PM

Location: NY NY

Wow Jim, you kinda took Delta's statement and just blew it all up. I mean he only stated that TSA takes no responsibility, that doesn't necessarily throw the ball in the airline's court, because TSA still has more "direct" access, meaning they are the one's who state we should not lock our bags and they are the ones who go through our bags (And anyone who's gotten one of those TSA tickets in their case know this). I'm not saying the airlines are sin-free, but if I was missing something important from my checked bag, they would be suspect number 1. But your analogy of leaving your door open is poor; if you leave your door open and your tv is stolen, you report it to the police, what is the FIRST question they'll ask you? "Well, why did you leave your door open?" Even though your door is open, it doesn't give the thief the right to go in your house and touch your stuff, but if you do and this is the outcome, you can only blame yourself for not taking "Personal responsibility" and locking the door in the first place, which is what it all comes down to. (Oh and you will be made fun of, I've hung out with some port authority and local officers and they have some stories). The airlines tell you upfront to not pack valuables, which literally means "if you don't want your good stuff taken, keep it close to you." TSA only states not to lock your bags. And if you do lock it, it has to have a TSA lock, which they have the key for! both have access to the bag, and both are equally responsible, so if a case is to be brought up it has to be against both, not one or the other.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 11:58 PM

Bob, I find this attitude perplexing and frankly offensive. you can only blame yourself...? Really? I can only blame myself... I cannot understand this point of view. Would it be ok with you if the thief took just a little bit of the blame?

This kind of shifting of the moral responsibility for the actions of criminals is causing deep social problems. If a person drives drunk, sue the bar who sold him the drink. The drunk is the victim of the bar, not the perpetrator. If the thief steals opportunitistically, blame the victim for not taking better care of their belongings. Why is it ok for an airline to put in it's terms and conditions do not place anything valuable in your bag? It is practically an admission that they are knowingly employing thieves and are unwilling to do anything about it. Incidently, I made no distinction between the thieving TSA employees and the thieving airline ones. My point is this: when theft occurs, a crime has been committed. When a crime is reported, at least you should expect some even cursory investigation should be initiated. Apparently, in the US, stealing people's belongings whilst in the care of the airline are exempt from the law. In this case, if the thief works for the TSA or airline they are exempt and the victim is to blame. That is a sorry state of affairs.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 2:58 AM

Believe it or not, Jim, in the good old USA, yes, the bar can be held accountable if the drunk driver is in an accident and causes damage. Especially bodily damage to another. The police will actively pursue this issue and slap the bar with sanctions, probably in the way of fines.

I am not saying the driver is let free. He/she is still liable for his actions.
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:00 AM

Location: NY NY

I stand by my statement, you can only blame yourself. Why blame someone else for your (not you persay) actions? The thief is to blame for taking your stuff, the bar is to blame for letting you walk away drunk, but who left the door open? who drank until they became **** drunk? A great defense lawyer will gladly take such a case and with $$$ in their eyes, will point the finger away from you, but a smart judge will use common sense and go "Come on!". That's what's wrong with our country today, that no one wants to accept personal responsibility, and its even more disgusting how people persue such matters that fall on their own lap (i.e. the woman who spilled hot coffee on her lap. Sure let's blame Mcdonalds for doing what they promise and deliver us hot coffee, what mook puts it on their lap? Nevermind....) But going back to the airline biz, though you did not make a distinction between the airline and TSA, my point is you SHOULD have, because either/ or are to blame. You can google countless stories of both companies having employees who dip in customers bags. The point is you cannot blame one and not the other, in fact the finger should be pointed at both since they (the airline and TSA) both will point the finger at each other, and say "They did it, it couldn't possibly be us".
Old Apr 17, 2009, 8:16 AM

I am confused by your last post Bob..are we agreeing or disagreeing? I made the point that it was either/or... not sure what your point is in relation to this. Both have thieves working for them. My original post said

I would have thought that was pointing the finger at both!!

On the issue of the litigiousness of the US and frivolous lawsuits, I think it is the kind of moral relativism you are suggesting that leads to this. The woman who has her purse stolen should not be castigated for leaving it on the floor at her feet whilst dining. The passenger who is robbed by an employee of the airline he has entrusted his belongings to, should not be castigated for putting "valuable" items in the bag. Personal responsibility is about making the dishonest pay and take responsibility for their actions. The honest should not be forced to live in a fortress society, with bars on the windows, constantly looking over their shoulder fearful that the slightest slip up will be exploited by thieves and then they will be blamed. By failing to unequivocably blame the perpetrator, and partly blaming the victim, we create a society which is hostile and in which people feel constantly stressed trying to make sure that no-one will exploit the slightest weakness. Sadly, the UK are moving the same way.
Old Jul 20, 2009, 11:16 PM
justme justme is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ATL

There are two simple facts here: One, TSA are the people that open your bag and ruffle thru your stuff. And two, airline employees don't have time to leisurely rifle thru bags and pick out stuff they want. Once the airplane gets parked in the gate, on a full flight, you have well over 500 bags to unload, sort, and transfer, sort, load and stack along with potentially thousands of pounds of mail, or cargo to load and unload all in a matter of less than an hour. Not to mention all the other things that must also be done in that time. Hook up the power and air so you don't complain about it being to hot on the plane, do walk arounds to make sure the airplane is in good enuf condition to fly, do the weight and balance calculations to make sure the airplane will safely take off and land, the list goes on. I will not say that airline employees never are the ones guilty of the theft, but I would be willing to stake large amounts of money that the vast majority of the time it is not. Airlines do not have any say about who the TSA employs or how they inspect your bags, so the next time your stuff has been searched and destroyed, look to the TSA first and don't automatically blame the airline.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Sep 23, 2009, 12:18 AM

Can;t we just agree that they are all thieves and liars?

Baggage Problems stolen items from luggage genius Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 7 Jan 27, 2012 4:57 AM
Baggage Problems items stolen on August 13 2008 ichiro Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 6 Aug 21, 2008 3:20 AM
Baggage Problems Stolen Items darden Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Oct 9, 2007 5:48 PM
Baggage Problems Stolen items from luggage Peter Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Oct 9, 2007 5:45 PM
Baggage Problems Fragile items checked in, arrived broken. lilbuzzbuzz Southwest Airlines Complaints 0 Apr 26, 2007 12:15 PM