COMPLAINT: Swiss Air Horrendous 2nd Bag Policy In Middle East--do Not Use Them Till You Check!!

Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:47 PM

Join Date: Apr 2010

I Travelled On Business By Swiss Air From Dubai To Muscat Oman On Swiss Air Flight Lx 242 On January 29. At The Counter , I Had 2nd Bag Of 20 Kg. The Staff Informed Me That Swiss Air Charges $ 80 Uae Dirhams / Kg ( Or Like $ 21 / Kg). I Protested Why So High & Was Told That Is " Swiss Air Polcy" & Choice Is To Go With The Bag Or Leave It. I Paid The $ 436 Dollars By Credit Card, As Could Not Leave It. Other Airlines Like Ba Charged Me much less ( 60-100 Dollars).

Since My Return, I Have Protested Vehemently To Swiss Air Usa--only Being Told Charges Are "correct Per Swiss Air Polcy"!! I Have Also Informed Swiss Air That Other Airlines ( Ba / Oman Air / Egypt Air Only Charged 60-110 Dollars For 2nd 20 Kg Bag), As I Travelled To 3 Countries.

So Far , No Luck With Swiss Air & They Say Case # 751282 Is Closed . Travellers Need To Stop Using Swiss Air Period- If They Keep Charging This Horrendous Amount For 2nd Bag.
Can Anyone Sugesst Where Else I Can Complain, get reimbursed??

Firoz

Old Apr 10, 2010, 4:08 PM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

i tried looking on the swiss air site and couldn't find anything about weight of the bag...it is alot i agree, but if thats their policy than thats the policy and i dont think you can get reimbursed but like i said...i couldn't find where on the site that it says that they charge you an arm and a leg per kg. here is what i found...

8.1 FREE BAGGAGE ALLOWANCE
You are entitled to carry a certain amount of Baggage free of charge, subject to our conditions and restrictions. These conditions and restrictions are available from us or our Authorised Agents upon request, and are also shown in your ticket.
8.2 EXCESS BAGGAGE
You will be required to pay an additional fee for the carriage of Baggage in excess of the free Baggage allowance. Our excess baggage rates are available from us upon request.
If you wish to transport over 100 kilos of excess baggage and/or bulky items (such as cycles or wheelchairs), you must notify us of such intention in advance. If you fail to do so, we reserve the right to refuse carriage of such excess baggage and/or bulky items. Any excess baggage which you wish to transport as air cargo must be handed in at least 24 hours before you check in for your flight.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 8:05 PM

Thnx Cortney: Below is the Swiss Air message to me, where they validate
$ 20.00 / KG, for 2nd bag . The weblink below has it too.
PASSENGERS BEWARE OF THIS HORRENDOUS POLICY!!

It appears there is some misunderstanding regarding the application of the piece and weight concept of baggage allowance. Your ticket from Dubai to Muscat was issued separately from your ticket from/to the United States. The piece concept can only be applied to baggage checked from North America to all countries, and to North America from countries that have approved the piece concept. For travel in Economy class, the piece concept allows each passenger to check two bags, with a weight of 23 kilos per bag. The weight concept, on the other hand, allows a total maximum weight for checked baggage of 20 kilos, and applies to all routings with an origination and destination outside the United States. Therefore, your ticket was based on the weight concept. You may wish to visit our website for complete baggage information, http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/services..._overview.aspx.

In accordance with SWISS’ zonal fee concept, baggage in excess of the checked baggage allowance (20 kilos) on fifth freedom flights (between third countries) is assessed at the equivalent of USD20.00, or AED80 per kilo. Since your baggage was in excess by 20 kilos, our agent was required to collect the applicable fee of AED1600, as stipulated by the baggage regulations. Regrettably, we cannot override the conditions of your ticket, and are unable to refund the excess baggage charge.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 9:34 PM

So there you have it... if you want to stop this, airlines like Swiss need to be punished. The only way to do it is to stop using them whilst they charge utterly excessive fees.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:19 PM

Join Date: Jul 2010

I had real problems with Swiss Air when I travelled with them. I found it so difficult to get a response from anybody. I only started to get responses when I sent numerous emails to the CEO Harry Hohmeister and the MD Reto Schmid. To email them you write their first name /a fullstop/ last name @swiss.com.

To be honest they didn't seem to care about me as a customer but it got some correspondence going and I knew they could read exactly how I felt about their service.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 4:00 AM

Join Date: Apr 2010

I had written to both CEO & MD & someone from Corp office said the decision is "final" & no reversal of fees. NEVER USE THEM , as this is EXPLOITATION & they dont care till they dont have customers!!
Old Aug 30, 2010, 10:47 PM

Join Date: Jul 2010

I agree, the last email I had from the MD Reto Schmid said that if I wasn't happy with their decision I should take them to court. So that is exactly what I am doing. I have contacted the European Commission and they have given me all the contact information I need. In the meantime I have been talking to journalists from the Wall Street Journal, Producers from a UK TV programme who have asked me to do an interview and listed numerous posts online.

The only way to make a difference is to spread the word about your experiences with SWISS Ailrines and the reaction to your complaints from the board of directors. People may then realise that they don't care about their customers once their money has been taken. Shame Harry Hohmeister and Reto Schmid by email.

[email protected]
[email protected]
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:50 PM

Join Date: Jul 2010

I am still being told that the decision from Swiss International Airlines is final and they will not reimburse expenses they promised me they would cover. The CEO harry Hohmeister should be ashamed of how he is treating his customers.

If anyone has experienced similar poor experiences with Swiss you can emailthe CEO at [email protected]
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:34 AM
martinjurb martinjurb is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

Here is my email to Swiss Air over the same issue. sent to day
I recently travelled business class to the Mideast with Thai and Swiss air. I had no trouble with my luggage with Thai but Swiss air was a great disappointment. I have advised my travel agent to warn others that the Swiss business class experience is inferior to other airlines especially in regards to luggage. Your luggage policy is confusing and we do not get enough warning of your excess luggage ripoff . One is lulled into a sense of fine treatment by the partner airline in this case Thai, and then subjected to your excessive luggage charges. Star alliance should be told that you are costing them customers because of your bad attitude to business class customers. There is one basic law of marketing that you need to relearn, the best customer you are ever going to have is the one you have now. Goodbye from a former customer.

Air Pacific - Fly for a horrendous experience Trvlr Other Airline Complaints 8 Jun 17, 2011 5:31 AM
Swiss Air Horrendous 2nd Bag Policy In Middle East--do Not Use Them Till You Check!! firoz Swiss Air Complaints 0 Apr 7, 2010 11:45 PM
(New) Continental Chief Waives Pay Till Airline Turns Profit PHXFlyer General Discussion 2 Jan 5, 2010 8:19 AM