COMPLAINT: KLM - ignorant , stupid or just plain rude ? kl1020 dec 12 15:55

Old Feb 12, 2009, 8:56 AM

flying to amsterdam , flight time of 15:55 given a boarding time of 15:20 ,now i have a (common ? ) phobia of flying and don't particularly like to sit for too long on a runway, went to gate at 15:30 to be told my luggage was already offloaded and i then had to recollect it in arrivals pay an extra 192 and check in again .Heres a copy of my 4th email to klm which have all been basically ignored.

My boarding time was 15:20
i got there at 15:30
my bag was already off the plane
how is that possible ?
It's obvious that all of the other passengers got there well before the allocated time of 15:20 but as i have a phobia of planes i don't like to sit in a plane on a runway for an hour dwelling on the prospect of falling out of the sky.
considering the time taken to locate and remove baggage i can't understand how this decision was made and implemented inside a window of 10 minutes from boarding time ( surely people aren't expected to teleport onto then plane otherwise klm would be out of business.)
I 'm not going to drop this even if i have to take independent legal action.
I was treated wholly unfairly and dismissed by your gate staff with such a nonchalant attitude i was amazed. The fact she thought it was funny could in a less reasonable person have provoked a violent reaction.

This email has been cc'd to my solicitor.
I'm not going drop it your company was out of order i am going to do anything i can to cause disrepute and publicity for your company if this isn't resolved.

As a web programmer i can't wait to start WWW.WhoElseHatesKlm.com
Please treat me fairly and admit your staff's mistakes and refund and compensate me for this continuing pathetic attempt to ignore a situation wholy created by your staff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Feb 12, 2009, 9:46 AM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

I will say that if the times you posted are accurate then it was too early too have your luggage pulled. 25 minutes before departure, at least for the airline I worked for, on an international flight is too soon. I could see where they could have prepared by getting the tag numbers of your luggage and where they were located on the plane in case you no-showed but pulling them that early is wrong.

Good luck on the refund.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 10:45 AM

on the return flight from schipol they were still calling passengers 10 mins before departure time .
Old Feb 12, 2009, 12:54 PM

You have little or no chance with KLM. I had to threaten smalls claims court for a denied boarding compensation claim that they didn't actually dispute, but took over 6 months to settle. They have the fall back that 15:20 was the latest time for you to arrive and board and you were late. Airlines only forgive themselves for mistakes and errors. Passengers mistakes are a revenue opportunity to be exploited to the maximum.
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:44 PM

wow , i feel so annoyed , can't believe they are belligerent enough to have already removed my luggage with 20 minutes to go to the flight , when i 'm checked in and waiting.
sickening
flown with them maybe 10-15 times but never again and the global ad agency i work for i will do my darndest to make sure they don't use klm either
Old Feb 12, 2009, 1:53 PM

well small claims it is then.
i thinks presumptuous when boarding time is stated at starting at 15:20 when you have three hundred people to board arriving at 15:30 is completely acceptable. more to the point when was the decision taken to remove my luggage as it was off the plane when i arrive at 15:30-15:35
Old Feb 13, 2009, 12:25 AM

Go on their website, it might help you at small claims. Do you have anything to validate your timings? The website states that the flight will close 10 minutes before the flight at Schipol, but varies by other airports. I assume you were at a UK airport, as the charge was in 's. If so, look up what their flight closing time is for that airport, print it off and take it with you. It is always worth a shot, because they sometimes don't bother to turn up and you get a judgement by default. You can file your claim online, very cheaply.

Follow this link. http://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk/ If you file via this method, it will be processed largely online, but you will eventually get a court date. It is a lot less hassle than doing it through the local courts.

Good luck. I honestly find some of the locosts better for the hop to AMS.. Easyjet or BMIBaby... avoid Ryanair though... NIGHTMARE!
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:02 AM

David - they would make the decision to remove your bags right at the cutoff time. I know it was only 10 minutes, but that is a lot of time when you are dealing with an international flight. There's a lot more that has to be done than with a domestic. Also you stated that you WENT TO THE GATE at the gate at 15:30. Why did you not go up earlier and tell the gate crew that you wanted to wait a little closer to departure time? They still may have had you board, but you didn't even try that. So from their point of view, you were a no show when it was time to get ready.

There are certain security regulations in place the must be carried out after all passengers are on board, hence the earlier cutoff times. And before anyone starts with the "9/11 as and excuse" b--l sh-t, international flights have always had some degree of extra handling, and earlier cutoff times.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 1:37 PM

so if boarding time is 15:20 when would expect cut off time to be ?
surely there must be more of a window then 10 minutes ?
Old Feb 13, 2009, 4:15 PM

I'm sorry - I missed that. You would not have a boarding time of 25 minutes ahead of time. You either have something typed wrong or you misunderstood something. KLM starts boarding 1 hour prior. That time of 15:20 had to be the cutoff time.
Old Feb 13, 2009, 5:44 PM

Where were you leaving out of? Last time I left out of Heathrow, we had to be in the gate area 30 minutes before departure in order to have cleared their secondary security clearance at the gate. After checking in at ticket counter we cleared security and then had to go through another check-in at gate and security check
Old Feb 14, 2009, 12:19 AM

I my last job, I travelling from BHX to AMS regularly on the KLM Fokker 100's. I can tell you in all of that time, I absolutely never started boarding 1 hour before departure. The incoming plane was often not even scheduled to arrive 1 hour before departure. I think Jetliner you may be thinking of Trans-atlantic boarding, but inter European flights do not board 1 hour before departure, and in the Schengen areas it is often considerably less.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 8:14 PM

Yes I was thinking of this from the trans-Atlantic end. I have since looked that flight up, and assuming it's the same, it's a London-Amsterdam flight. Probably was back in Dec. being that he mentioned paying pounds.

If they had already of-loaded his bag, he was late.