COMPLAINT: QANTAS Repeatedly Using False Advertising

Old Jul 20, 2010, 6:33 PM

Qantas is continually and continuously using false advertising for airfares. Every travel site for the last two months has advertising links to the Qantas home page which advertises airfares which are never available at the advertised cost when you try to book dates by calling Qantas or by purchasing from their website. The lowest cost travel you can get have been $100 to $200 higher than the advertised fares.

I tried to complain by asking for a supervisor and have twice just been left on hold for ten or more minutes. The person(s) at the Qantas call center asserted that these seats get sold out quickly and believe they don’t have to change their advertisements.

I’ve tried to book from LAX to Brisbane or Sydney on numerous days in June for the existing special (saying I was flexible with dates and just wanted the advertised fares) they were advertising and was unable to find the advertised fares. That special ended June 30. So July 1 when they started a new advertising campaign at increased price, I tried again to find the airfare and none were available. That means the “special fare” sold out within hours of the start of the “special” fares being advertised.

QANTAS also hits you with an unadvertised credit card fee right at the end of the booking. ALL online bookings have to be paid by credit card – this fee should be included in the total airfare cost they advertise.

Their ad is also on sites such as Kayak, Trip Advisor, Booking Buddy, etc etc. The Internet allows ads to be changed immediately. Qantas is not acting in good faith and repeatedly does this. I’ve encountered this problem many times before when they run their “specials.”
They need to be prosecuted
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:10 PM

I agree that this practise, which is widespread, needs regulation. Unfortunately, in the US, all air carriers are exempt from the normal regulation of this, via the state Attorney's Generals offices. It is ridiculous that an airline could offer say 100 seats at a very low fare, and then run advertising for a month implying that these are still available. It is misleading and deceptive and I cannot understand why they are allowed to get away with this. Ryanair do the same thing in Europe and seem to be beyond the law.
Old Jul 20, 2010, 10:17 PM

I'd guess it's a lot less than 100 seats. If you're correct, they'd only have to have 3 seats set aside and still get away with it. I hope others will join me in contacting US Aviation Consumer & Protection, Advance (Australian xpats group) and Southern Cross Group (another expat Aussie group) as well as DOT and the Australian Embassy or Consulate in their area.
Anyone out there interested in a class action?