Old Jul 8, 2012, 3:27 PM
4kingjoke 4kingjoke is offline

Join Date: Jul 2012
Default Changing a passenger name - BA mistake

Last week I booked a return flight from Manchester to JFK for July 13th for my sister on my BA member account.

I specifically entered my sisters information into the fields as she was the passenger and I was paying for it, and booked it through my membership account. I sent the confirmation to my sisters email and did not expect any discrepancies.

Today, my sister printed up the tickets, and to everyone's surprise my name was down as the passenger. I called customer service to correct this error, and after waiting twenty minutes on hold and came into a nasty shock.
I spoke to Denise Campbell, who immediately told me there's nothing they could do. She told me that it was my error because I didn't click on a third party box, and I would lose my booking. I was shocked to hear a British Airways staff with such an obtuse attitude. All I asked was to change the name on the Eticket, why are you taking my money?
I asked to speak to a supervisor and Denise told me he would say exactly the same thing she was telling me, so it would be a waste. She again put me on hold to come back with a compromise. She explained that if I booked a new reservation that was the same, I would be given a refund on my original booking. That's what I was asking for in the first place, so I don't know why I had to be told I would lose all my money.
I was sent to reservations (20 minute hold) and booked a new flight. The agent told me it would cost £630, over £40 pound more than my original booking. I went online and noticed the same flight for £606 pound, the agent told me to book it online, so I did.
When I was put back to Denise, I was informed I did not follow all her silly rules? I was informed to place the booking for the reservations desk, not online (what is the difference) and I used a different debit card because my original one was in USD, and because it was different I wasn't allowed to keep the booking. What is the difference and why the games?
I was put back to a new agent to book the EXACT flight that I booked originally, apart from the passenger name (that's different!) I was informed it would cost £630, which would cost me over $1000 on my USD card.

I was so furious to be made to follow these stupid rules that had no meaning or justification. I was unable to speak to the supervisor (Peter Greig) and ask for an explanation as there was no room to help me fix, what I see, as BA's system error.

I have traveled with BA several times in the last year and I wanted my sister to fly BA because of its superb experience. I'm afraid to say, this customer service experience from BA was a nightmare. I would expect that from Delta or Spirit airlines, but NOT British Airways.

I know this was a BA error because when I was booking the flight again online, my sisters details were already saved in the passenger information. There must have been a change when I entered my membership number (obviously I wanted the points).

I am expecting to fly back to the US this month, but after the behaviour from your customer relations team I am reluctant. I am out of pocket £50 for booking the same flight, and because I was not allowed to use a different payment method, that cost me over $30.

Almost 2 hours dealing with these buffoons, jumping through hoops and playing their silly games. Never again!
Old Jul 8, 2012, 7:01 PM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by 4kingjoke View Post

When you book a flight for someone else using your Frequent Flyer account, the reservation will on come back on your name as the computer reservation system reads it as someone trying to circumvent a system to claim points/mileage for their frequent flyer number without having stepped foot on an aircraft and do the actual trip itself. Also if you read the terms and conditions carefully without rushing through them you may see that the type of ticket you were purchasing for your sister may not have permitted a name change.
Old Jul 26, 2013, 8:35 AM

Join Date: Jul 2013
Thumbs down BA thrid party tick box

Exactly the same happened to me. I booked my grandson on a BA flight from Marrakech to Gatwick. I entered his passenger advance information but when I came to print the itinerary, just before departure, the booking came up in my name. I telephoned immediately but BA refused to correct the mistake saying that I had incorrectly ticked no in the third party box when paying. Very few people fully understand what this box is. Anyway, my grandson had to miss the flight as I would have had to cancel the booking and make a new reservation at todays prices, some £250 more! He is going Ryanair on Monday and I will never use BA again or advise anyone to do so. This is not the first problem the community has had here in Marrakech and compared to the service that Easyjet provide including a straightforward booking system - BA need to look at their customer service and stop being so arrogant!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:28 AM

Join Date: May 2013

Ok so heres some tips and things you should know.

First correct way to book:Theres an option to put in the passenger information ie the passengers name details. Directly below this there is a question: whos paying? Click in the box next to it and it says the person paying is not travelling.

Second:

Any booking you make you should always check the confirmation email. There is a 24 hour cooling off period as well as a policy for correcting mistakes with name etc if it was booked online. However BA cannot change the actual credit card holder details at all.

Thirdly:
If you are outside 24 hours all tickets regardless of cabin or fare are non transferable. Full name changes dont in my experience happen except in extremely rare circumstances. A manager may have been able to permit what you were talking about because it can be justified in terms of ok we refunded the original but we have made some extra money.

Fourth:
To actually earn avios points you have to
be the traveller. I suspett that you trying to get around this caused the problem.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 8:44 AM

Join Date: Jul 2013

Thank you for your helpful advice. I am not interested in points and don't even collect them. I have booked this way before without any problems and just assumed all was OK - probably my fault for not checking the eticket properly. I was just annoyed with customer service as it seemed obvious that I was not trying to resell the ticket as my grandson' name was there from the start and I do not collect or use avios points. It is a pity that there was not more flexibility to amend my mistake. Clearly it was a box ticking mistake.

Interestingly I am President of the British Business Group in Marrakech and now discover that this has been a problem for others. I have always promoted BA as our flagship airline but now discover that even business travellers are using EasyJet as being more reliable and helpful. What a shame!

I also run a holiday booking service here in Marrakech (as well as a donkey rescue centre!) and will pass on your advice to potential travellers although I am still very upset!
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:03 AM

Join Date: May 2013

Hi i do certainly understand your annoyance. I actually work for BA in a call centre and this is something i come against quite often unfortunately. Its never nice having to tell someone that the person they want to travel isnt named on the ticket! Ive posted because i want people to really be aware of how to book correctly or if they make a mistake i want them to contact BA when we are able to help them!

*edit* please be aware that the cooling off and correction policies apply to bookings made direct with BA over the phone or online. Travel agency bookings are different!

Last edited by anonymouscomments; Jul 27, 2013 at 9:06 AM. Reason: Mistake
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:15 AM

Join Date: Jul 2013

I don't know whether you are posting on behalf of BA or for purely altruistic reasons but, whatever, BA need more people like you on the end of a phone.

I am a pretty fiery individual and you have calmed me down. I will be sure to mention that when I write to BA officially.

If you look at our website you will see that every penny counts and rebooking at a cost of £250 equals 2 weeks hay!

www.marrakechmules.com

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sultana 1.jpg (69.9 KB, 1 views)
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:39 AM

Join Date: May 2013

I would like to make it very clear that iam not posting on behalf of BA and therefore anything expressed is really my own opinion. I do think that BA should do something to highlight the fact that there are these options. I know they are on the website and in other places but clearly people still arent very aware. Id much rather people know about these common sense helpful aspects of BA policy instead of simply the side that is BA saying unfortunately outside of 24 hours we simply cant change a name.

Id actually appreciate if you didnt refer specifically to my name on here or even talking to someone on here. While i feel ive not misrepresented BA in any way id rather not be questioned about this at work. Otherwise feel free to say you spoke to a BA call centre agent some time ago and didnt remember their name.
Old Jul 27, 2013, 9:47 AM

Join Date: Jul 2013

Don't worry I won't mention you at all but will post the outcome on here. Again Many Thanks and as they say "have a good day"

Best wishes

Susan
Tags...
ba british airways

Check-in / Boarding Etihad airways - my biggest mistake wakmak Etihad Airways Complaints 13 Dec 30, 2013 6:37 PM
Reservations Dog in Cargo, RSV Big Mistake dastardlydeed Delta Air Lines Complaints 1 Jun 17, 2011 5:45 PM
Check-in / Boarding Paying for a mistake... tranquillo83 Check-in / Boarding 6 Jun 5, 2011 1:00 PM
Reservations Double Billing @ an $1800 mistake dohara Reservations 0 Feb 19, 2010 3:48 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked One mistake after another Allison Westberg Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 1 Dec 21, 2008 3:48 PM