COMPLAINT: Malaysia Airlines

Old Dec 2, 2007, 10:01 AM
sandy sandy is offline

Join Date: Dec 2007

I flew to Cambodia on a return ticket in mid September. After 2 weeks of being there, I received the sad news that my father had passed away quite suddenly. I went into Malaysian to arrange a flight back and was told that there weren't any flights til late Oct. I explained that I had to be back for my Dad's funeral on Monday and a seat became available on the coming Saturday. I was told I had to pay a further $422 US for the flight due to the late notice and that they didn't accept credit cards. I went in the next day and notice two locals paying for their tickets with a credit card. I had the cash anyway, so didn't think too much of it. My flight was booked and payed for. My partner and I went to Saigon for 3 days to organise his visa, arriving back in Phnom Penh on Friday night. I packed a bag and checked my ticket and realized the employee had booked me on a flight that left that morning. So I had missed it. She never mentioned anything to me about a flight on Friday, never went through any of the details of my flight with me and was taking private calls on her mobile when she should have been looking after me and doing her job properly!!! I rang Malaysian from my mobile as there aren't any public phones in Phnom Penh and it was late so I couldn't go to an internet cafe. They hung up on me 3 times and the 3rd time was after 1 hour. Needless to say those phone calls cost me $360 AUD. My Mum eventually got me on a flight with Jetstar and Qantas who were unbelievably compassionate and looked after everything. So I'm in Melbourne now and I've sent many letters to Malaysia Airlines outlining my complaint and trying to get reimbursed. I'm out of pocket nearly $2000 because of that woman and all this happened at the saddest point in my life so far. She was unprofessional to the highest degree,not even wearing shoes while at work. I just can't believe this has happened. I will NEVER fly Malaysia Airlines again.

Old Oct 7, 2009, 3:39 AM
Nils Carlson Nils Carlson is offline

Join Date: Oct 2009

This airline is for sure not Singapor Airlines or Quantas. File a complaint with airconsumer.dot.gov/problems.htm and consumeraffairs.com/travel/airlines
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:06 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by Nils Carlson View Post
The reservation was for a flight that originated in Cambodia and terminated in Australia on a non-US airline. Why on Earth would you thing that the United States Department of Transportation would or could do anything about this?
Old Oct 7, 2009, 6:16 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

To the OP...first please accept my condolences for the loss of your father and not to lay blame entirely on you which it is clearly not and due to the error of the booking agent, but...why did you not check the ticket before leaving the ticket office/counter? When you make a deposit or withdrawal at the bank do you not check to see if the proper amount was credited to your account or count the cash before you step away from the teller? Same goes for this sort of transaction. If I had to pay $422 USD extra for a change of ticket I'd make sure it was right and not wait to find out until the day before my intended departure.

Again, the error was the booking agent's but and I understand you were under a great deal of stress and grief. However you should check to make sure your booking is in order immediately after making the booking. That goes for internet transactions as well. Don't wait until a day or two later to read the confirmation e-mail. Errors occur. Most are the fault of the person doing the booking but sometimes the airlines make mistakes as well and the sooner it is caught, as in immediately, the sooner it can be corrected. If you call in a day or two later and claim "I didn't read the e-mail" how is the agent to know if your plans just didn't change in the interim and you are now just trying to scam a change without paying the fees?