COMPLAINT: HELP! Malaysia Airlines is screwing me over

Old Aug 13, 2013, 8:56 PM

Join Date: Aug 2013

I have a rare medical condition requiring Oxygen during air travel. I have only been overseas only once before and that time i travelled with Emirates. I just made ONE phone call to Emirates and they promptly organized me Oxygen free of cost and sent out medical forms.

This time I decided to travel with Malaysia Airlines because they have cheaper tickets from Melbourne to Istanbul. But first I wanted to make sure they had Oxygen available before I purchased tickets so I rang Malaysia Airlines and EVERY the staff member I spoke to was CLUELESS, none of them could not answer any of my questions about oxygen or their policy and procedure for those with medical conditions.

I continued to ring Malaysia Airlines, pressing every phone option to every department I could find and asking them about oxygen but they gave me the run around. After 2 days of trying to get information I finally decided to request to talk to a supervisor, however the female ticket staff came back saying she would present my questions to the supervisor so I asked her "Is oxygen available for people with medical problems and will it cost me anything?" she then came back informing me that the supervisor had told her it was free and available.

Because of my health problems and having so much bad luck in my life I never leave anything up to chance so I asked her details just incase any contradicting problems arose later but all she provided me was her first name "Oska". So i went ahead and purchased the tickets.

Next day I rang malaysian airlines again a dozen times more trying to find out the steps involved to ordering oxygen for flight, but this time one of the consultants informed me I would have to pay $400 US for Oxygen. I was not convinced because the other consultant has asked the supervisor who said it was free. So i sent malaysia airlines an email asking about whether oxygen did in fact cost money but the email reply said "we have oxygen but please contact your malaysia airlines office by phone" So i contacted them by phone and the staff said "please send Malaysia airlines an email" So after another dozen emails and phone calls AND 14 days later I finally got confirmation that I do infact have to pay for Oxygen.

My travel date was 4 weeks away and they wasted 14 of my days in limbo trying to obtain the correct information from them. They have greatly inconvenienced me. I have so much to do for preparation, medical forms, doctors visits clearing me for travel, organizing so much and instead I have wasted everyday contacting Malaysian airlines trying to get the correct information from CLUELESS INCOMPETENT STAFF!

Last time I traveled with Emirates, I only had to make just ONE phone call and EVERYTHING was organized. I now regret ever having uttered the words Malaysia Airlines.

I finally received a phone call from someone at Malaysian airlines, but he was very cold and failked to give me his name or any details. I explained to him that I spoke to someone named Oska at their call centre and he tells me he doesn't know anyone named Oska and he is skeptically said he could track down the call. He balmed the travel agent saying they should have informed me of their Oxygen cost and then he hung up without telling me if i will hear back from him or what he intended to do.

Next day I contacted my travel agent and I find out the same guy had called them and they had decided to make me pay for Oxygen despite explaining to them that I was given incorrect information that oxygen was free and based on that wrong information I purchased my tickets. Had they provided me with correct information I would have never opted for Malaysia airlines and their $400 oxygen and their14 days of ringing staff and losing my sanity and precious time in the process.

All I want now is a refund so i can go and re-purchase my tickets from Emirates and their superior customer service and free Oxygen and try and forget about the last 14 days of madness from Malaysian airlines. However malaysian airlines don't want to co-operate and if i do cancel my ticket they are going to charge me fees and if i stay they are going to charge me for Oxygen.

But I am person of principle and highly regard justice and fairness and there is no way in hell I am about to pay for Oxygen because of their supervisors mistake causing me to purchase tickets based on the wrong information..

I need help, what do i do guys?

Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:17 PM

Oxygen

Should there be a need for supplemental oxygen during your travel as advised by your doctor, you are required to make the necessary booking at least five working days before your intended date of travel.

Malaysia Airlines provides two kinds of oxygen flow onboard: two litres/minute (which can last 180 minutes) and seven litres/minute (which lasts 90 minutes). Currently we are able to provide continuous oxygen flow only for domestic travel; on international sectors, oxygen can only be provided on a standby basis and is subject to availability.

Kindly download the MEDIF application form (PDF) and ask your physician to fill it up and submit it to your nearest Malaysia Airlines ticketing office or travel agent. Malaysia Airlines charges for oxygen supplied on international flights.

If you have such medical equipment or oxygen requirements, we strongly advise that you contact 1 300 88 3000 (within Malaysia), +603 7843 3000 (outside Malaysia) or your nearest Malaysia Airlines ticketing office before booking your flight. This is to ensure that you have a safe and comfortable journey with us.

This information is quite easy to find on their website..it took me about 5 minutes to find it... and if you had called this number, I am sure you could have got the information you required. It is very frustrating how ignorant so many employees are of their employers policies, but you have to, I am afraid, assume they are dishonest.. if you had a good experience with Emirates, I think perhaps you should have stuck with them.
Old Aug 13, 2013, 10:40 PM
azstar azstar is offline

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
you have to, I am afraid, assume they are dishonest..

I don't believe most front-line airline people are dishonest. I think they are, as you said, clueless. Many are lazy and will say anything to get rid of you rather than actually look up the correct information (which is available to all airline personnel, somewhere in their systems).
Old Aug 14, 2013, 4:35 AM

Originally Posted by jimworcs View Post
I am not an experienced flier. Like I said I have only ever flown ONCE in the last 20 years and that time I RANG emirates and everything including Oxygen was organized by PHONE.

So based on that previous experience I assumed ringing them was the correct method, rather then searching through the internet.

I gave that number you provided a call and guess what....It turned out to be the EXACT SAME AUTOMATED PHONE RECORDING that I have called many times over and over. It was a waste of credit calling Malaysia as I was confronted with the same message telling me...: "press1 for enrcih members, press 2 for ticket office, press 3 for business class etc etc..."

Obviously that's why the message you posted concludes saying "or your nearest Malaysia Airlines ticketing office" because it's the exact same phone recording I've been calling through a local number. But I do appreciate your help but as you can see even their website is misleading and unhelpful.

So what do I do now?
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:28 AM

Join Date: Aug 2013

UPDATE:

I just received email from Malaysia Airlines saying:

"We have received authority to refund your tickets with any cancellation fee , which I have advised your travel agent this morning.

Kindly contact your travel agent advise what you need to do with your booking and refund etc."

Guys I don't understand what it actually means, is he saying I will get a full refund including refund for any cancellation fee, or is he saying full refund but I have to pay cancellation fee?

I contacted my travel agent but they are busy with a client and I'm waiting for a call back.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 5:12 PM

Join Date: Aug 2013

More bad news. It turns out that I have to pay $500 for the cancellation and booking fees, so it's worse than the Oxygen cost.

I feel like I am in such a mess at the moment and I am losing sleep over it
Old Aug 15, 2013, 7:28 PM

Tek,
I think you are stressed by this. Why not keep the booking, pay the oxygen fee and never fly with them again?
Old Oct 9, 2013, 10:17 AM
sof sof is offline

Join Date: Oct 2013

Hi,

Legally you should not have to pay extra for oxygen. As you booked the tickets in Australia, (I am assuming), it comes under Australian Law.
As you were told (before you booked your ticket) that oxygen would be free, that is part of your contract. It is clear you would never

Regardless of what you have decided to do, you should:
a.) be able to get the full price back (damages) (with no cancelation fee) due to fraud/deceit or due to their breach of your contract. or
b.) be able to get the oxygen for free, as you were told.

I would go see a lawyer or the ombudsman if I were you (if you are tight with money - the ombudsman would be the best way to go).

It is really their fault as it is obvious you would only have booked your ticket if the oxygen was there and free. You have tried to find out how to get it but have been constantly denied by their end due to bad customer service.

Hope I could help, if you need precedent/authority for what I have said I will look it up.

Good luck!
Old Aug 20, 2014, 3:50 PM
GiGeeTee GiGeeTee is offline

Join Date: Aug 2014

Tek,
Yep. This is what I would recommend.

Malaysia airlines being nasty rezwanakbd Other Airline Complaints 1 Jul 19, 2012 8:37 AM
Malaysia Airlines - What a nightmare!!!!! BoshofB2 Other Airline Complaints 0 Dec 3, 2010 7:32 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Ticket cancelled ! Screwing up our Christmas ! Laffy American Airlines Complaints 4 Dec 23, 2009 5:25 AM
ATA: Screwing a Volunteer Bump lankforj Other Airline Complaints 0 Jan 18, 2008 5:14 PM