Old Jul 31, 2009, 12:56 PM

Thumbs down Baggage check-in - Almost missed the flight

Although my e-ticket was reserved through Delta, and confirmed as Delta, yesterday I was apparently booked on a Northwest flight. Arrived at Miami more than 2 hours before my flight to Miami and used the kiosk to check in. Little did I know that a process which is easily handled at every other airport (by every other airline) is apparently quite difficult for Delta. At the kiosk I learned I was on a NW flight (who knew) and needed to get into a que with my boarding pass to check my bag. The line was at least 60 people deep-but how long could this take, after all we were just getting oor bags tagged????? The answer-hours!
The line did not have a dedicated agent(s) instead we were actually in line to be taken after the international passengers were checked in, which means one person in our line was taken care of about every 3-4 minutes. At some point when I had been in line 1 hour and 15 minutes, one of the folks in line got the attention of a "walk around" agent explaing that the flight to Memphis was scheduled to take off in 45 minutes and we all had to still make it thorugh security-after checking our bags. This agent told every one on the Memphis flight to form a new line-you can imagine the safety issues of 25 folks with their luggage trying to move from one line to another and we were finally checked in (I felt a little guilty moving ahead of all the other folks in the first line-but I had a flight to catch).
When I asked the customer service agent what logical reason we were in line this way-she told me "because you are checking bags" and walked away. For this I paid $15 and wasted so much time and more than a little stress.
I made my flight with about 5 minutes to spare-but will never book the 4:00 Delta flight from Miami to Memphis and informed my office that my Airline of last choice is now Delta.
Old Aug 1, 2009, 5:50 PM
rudybjr rudybjr is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

Delta and Northwest are now the same airline. If you would have looked at your confirmation it would have said DL FLT 124111 (operated by Northwest).... Don't blame Delta for you not paying attention. Get there earlier if you know its going to be busy.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 1:58 AM

Join Date: Jul 2009

As a Delta employee (are you from Miami), you may have not been able to read my entire comment. In any case your response seems typical.
Old Aug 2, 2009, 5:21 AM
justme justme is offline
Delta Air Lines Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Location: ATL

rudy's right... anyone who payed any attention to their ticket would have seen that it said "operated by NW." The kiosk would have told you also. Not to mention if you've read any news in the last year about airlines, you should know NW and DL merged into one airline. Also, sounds like the check-in agents did you all a favor and pulled you out of line and put you ahead of everyone else, maybe you should be thanking them for getting you checked in on time to make your flight.
I think Bigfoot is blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer's fault. Bigfoot is blurry, and that's extra scary to me. There's a large, out-of-focus monster roaming the countryside. Run, he's fuzzy, get out of here.
- Mitch Hedberg
Old Aug 2, 2009, 11:33 PM

Join Date: Jul 2009

FYI-looking at my eticket right now and no where is NWA mentioned in any way (as employees, you may want to check your facts).

In any case, I vote with my $$. Although Delta is now the largest carrier (and least customer friendly) I do have other choices. In the future Delta will be my last choice.
Old Aug 3, 2009, 2:29 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default Sometimes it takes a DOT fine

I recall hearing of DOT fines being handed-out, within the past two months, for failure to identify flights as code share and the operator of the flight. Don't know who the "lucky" recipiant was.
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Aug 3, 2009, 7:20 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy Slept Here View Post

It was United. And it was because their call center agents (most of whom are in India) failed to disclose to a DOT rep. posing as a "telephone shopper" that certain flights were codeshare. Had nothing to do with website or e-mail confirmations on which codeshare information is clearly stated.

To the OP. You were traveling from Miami to Memphis. You chose "memphis mom" as yourscreen name so I'm assuming you live in the Memphis area. Memphis has been a long-time Northwest hub. If you had to take a guess as to which airline, Delta or Northwest, would likely operate a flight to a Northwest hub which would you choose? Come on, a little common sense please?

Check-in / Boarding Baggage Check Wait knowakow Delta Air Lines Complaints 2 Sep 25, 2007 8:31 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight delayed, missed connection, was not compensated sammy Delta Air Lines Complaints 3 Sep 3, 2007 8:48 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Flight missed nothappyjen Southwest Airlines Complaints 0 Apr 26, 2007 12:32 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Canceled flight, missed connection, terminal changes (2x) bandparent American Airlines Complaints 1 Feb 5, 2007 12:03 AM