In-flight Issues Did you experience any problems during an Continental Airlines flight?

Old Oct 28, 2009, 12:38 AM
Unhappy flier Unhappy flier is offline

Join Date: Oct 2009
Default Condescending flight attendant

I was flying from Cleveland, OH to Milwaukee, WI Sunday 10/25/09 around 9PM EST. The airline was looking for a volunteer to give up their seat and be compensated with a flight Monday morning. The flight attendant (could have been named Margaret but I really don't remember) made a joke that maybe the flight attendant would take that offer up. I took this as a joke but after her attitude throughout the flight I wish she had left the plane. After she made her safety presentation (which I'm sure gets tedious for them) she walked the length of the plane. I couldn't hear the whole conversation behind me between the FA and female nor was it my business. But I surmise the female didn't comply with instructions. The FA got back on the intercom and made a statement that people weren't listening or were listening like her children. That isn't the worse thing but I don't expect or want to be treated in a condescending manner. (And if I were her child, I'd run away) Politely address that with the person(s) not adhering instead of making such comments. Then she started beverage service and stated it was a short flight so she wouldn't list back the beverage selections. I was in the back of the plane travelling with a 13 year old child. He originally didn't want anything to drink. When she got to my row she asked and he wanted to know the selections. She told him she wouldn't list them back. I find that very rude. Yes, he should have listened but he's 13. If she can't have the decency to show some customer service skills and help a 13 year old boy out, then get a different job. Her whole attitude throughout the flight was of condescension towards everyone on the flight. I did email a complaint to Continental Airlines and have yet to recieve a response. Suffice it to say I will no longer travel with them.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:25 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

I think you're making a mountain out of a molehill on this one because the kind of FA you just described, exsist on most airlines. I can assure you. I was on a UniTED flight where the FA didn't even go over the drink menu, simply "would you like something to drink". I usually say coffee or tea anyway.

For the future, the drinks are always the same anyway: Soda, Juice, Milk, Coffee, or Tea. Now if you wanna have fun, just run down a list of items you know they don't have like Snapple, Arizona Ice Tea, Mr. Pib. Maybe then they'll spout out that list and everyone can be happy.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 3:54 AM

They are also in the in-flight magazine.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 5:09 AM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default Burnt-out FA???

Under the heading of "Evil Things A Flight Attendant Can Do," I would rate this at the low end of the scale. If the FA was a high school teacher, and was acting like that, she would get the worst end of it from the kids. Indeed I wouldn't be suprised if some customers were dishing the FA within her earshot. This story confirms the correctness of my "FA survival" strategy: (1) Carry-on your own food and (non-alcoholic) drink assuming, of course, that it is available on the airside of security. (2) Close one's eyes when the FA comes near your seat, thus avoiding all cabin service. So far I haven't encountered an FA or gate agent who, because of my "catering," wanted to deny me boarding.
[B][I][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow]We HATE to fly--and it shows![/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=navy][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT][/COLOR][/I][/B]
Old Oct 28, 2009, 8:39 AM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

Originally Posted by The_Judge View Post
They are also in the in-flight magazine.
Thank you. Can your 13 year old read? If so the beverage menu is right there in front of you.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:14 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

seriously? your not going to fly with them again because of this? oh boy. yes the flight attendant could have said the items over, it would kill her. but the selections are listed in the magazine. as a flight attendant when i announce what we have then i do service and im asked over and over what we have to drink, i dont mind saying the items again, it just gets annoying. most airlines have the same things coke or pepsi, diet coke diet pepsi ect.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:14 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

sorry, that statement up there should say it wouldnt have killed her lol
Old Oct 28, 2009, 4:02 PM
AirlinesMustPay AirlinesMustPay is offline
Account Closed

Join Date: Sep 2009

This shouldn't be a major issue but it doesn't make sense to suggest that it is there in the flight magazine. First of all how would she or the child know that its there in the magazine, and even if they know, it is not in any prominent part of the magazine. If she had to wait until the child pulls out the magazine and looks for the page she may be there for 10 minutes while they look for it.

It takes about 10 seconds to say coke, diet coke, orange juice, apple juice, tea, coffee, 15 if you have to speak slowly if you have any Drunken Masters to speak to especially if they are deliberately keeping their eyes closed. Flights like these usually use 50 seater aircraft, but lets say it was even 100 passengers. When she says the selection at least 5 people will hear her. So for 100 passengers, she has to repeat it 20 times. 20 times by 10 seconds is 200 seconds or 205 for the one Drunken Master. That is under 4 minutes. So repeating the selections takes her an extra 4 minutes.

What a big saving of time?
Old Oct 29, 2009, 3:41 AM

Sorry, didn't mean to suggest to use the magazine then. There I go, trying to think again.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 7:10 AM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

I'd say if the drunken masters eyes were closed, deliberately, they (the FA) wouldn't need to repeat the list. That would be plain stupid to repeat it to someone who may or may not be sleeping... then again, look who I'm talkin too. Also if they say over the PA "this is what we have", how hard is it to say "this is what I want", when they get to you? The kid is 13, not 5, Why would he need someone to repeat it? Soda, coffe, juice, tea. Not very difficult.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:48 PM
AirlinesMustPay AirlinesMustPay is offline
Account Closed

Join Date: Sep 2009

In this case the Drunken Master was closing his eyes just to avoid being discovered as drunk. The stewardess obviously smells the alcohol and thinks maybe a cup coffee will take the alcohol off his breath. So she will have to ensure that she gets an answer from him and try to get him to have a drink. This is why she will take an extra few seconds with him.

But more importantly I calculated that for 100 passengers it takes under 4 minutes to repeat the selections, even dealing with the drunk passenger. So what is the difficulty?
Old Nov 2, 2009, 5:20 AM
Unhappy flier Unhappy flier is offline

Join Date: Oct 2009

I didn't mean to imply this was a big deal. But a lack of customer service and just basic common courtesy on the FA part. I have flown before and have never been treated as such. This alone wouldn't prevent me from flying their airline. However, getting no response back at all just might. Perhaps some find it okay or not a deal at all because that is what they expect. I don't and shouldn't have to tolerate it.
Old Nov 2, 2009, 6:03 AM
mars6423 mars6423 is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: New Jersey/Singapore
Send a message via AIM to mars6423

you will probably get a response............dont hope for it to be soon though, and it will most likely be an "automated" response

sorry for your incon. we apologize and will look into the matter (most likely a front and wont really do it) we understand you may not be satisfied with our service, so here is a $50 vouchar thank you please fly with us again

personally i wouldnt care much about the vouchar unless it was for a good amount, not bothered with the restrictions since whenever i need to fly the vouchars dont seem to work with it, or it is a hastle to get it sorted out (if you book over the phone than the vouchar is basically cut in 1/2 with the telephone booking fee)......i would rather have the understanding that it would be looked at and that FA's will not be so rude (i dont expect them to be on my beckon call for me, nor do i expect them to get something immediately after i ask or push the button, but i do epect that if i ask for a drink like water or diet coke that i recieve it in a acceptable amount of time-i wont ask if they are handing out meals as i can just wait and they are busy) i would much prefer an attitude that you can see that they are frustrated but hold it to themselves rather than letting out bursts of rude behavior.....i say reward the ones who can control their frustrations with some sort of bonus and keep morale high

we can all agree that FA's have very stressful jobs and that they do need to be given some slack, and that there are some outliners that are very rude, and than again there are those passengers who act like the FA's are there to cater their every need, FA's are not butlers remember.....they have to deal with all sorts of people thats why i give them a benefit of a doubt

but give the airline time to respond, they never are too quick at doing so, i dont know why but they are slow goings
Old Nov 3, 2009, 1:10 PM

we can all agree that FA's have very stressful jobs
We can't all agree on this I am afraid. Pilots maybe, military people, some doctors and nurses, social workers working on child abuse, CIA agents trying to track down terrorists, etc etc... have very stressful jobs.

Flight attendants do not require particularly high skills or qualifications. In the very very rare instances in which they are required to exercise their public safety role (ie, in an accident) they are in no different position to train conductors in a similar situation, or other people responsible for public safety.

There is nothing special about the status of FA's, nor anything especially stressful. Stress is a normal part of life, and there are millions of people who have to fulfill duties which are equally or more stressful than FA's. Is there any way that we can explode this particular myth please?
Old Nov 3, 2009, 2:20 PM

Join Date: Sep 2009

sorry Jim but im disagreeing with you. as a flight attendant, most people have NO idea what we go through before paxs even board the a/c and during the training to get our jobs. most still think we are there to only serve coke and peanuts (if your lucky you get the "snack"). why dont you work a 20 hour day being up for 20+hours. i just got off a trip that was nothing but stress due to delays writing report after report and talking to my manager back at base (that is never fun). thankfully we fly paxs who never complain. if you dont know what goes on behind the scenes i suggest you say that our job is not stressful
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:03 PM

Ok, well I didn't say it was not stressful, I simply said it was not very stressful and was not exceptional. There are many jobs with very long hours, some of which are life and death. Many jobs require reports and record keeping and have demanding managers.

In regards to the training, I am well aware that you need to do some training to prepare for your duties, much of which involves ensuring public safety. I could list hundreds of jobs which require as much or more training. I am well aware of your duties and have some (limited) inside information about your duties. Prior to 9/11 when such things were allowed, I regularly travelling with a Captain friend of mine in the jump seat and so was onboard for a whole days flying, six sectors. I was there for the turnarounds and pre-flight briefing, etc.

Just to be clear: I am not saying it is an easy job. I am saying that there is nothing exceptional about the stress or demands that don't apply to many other vocations.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 5:25 PM
Butch Cassidy Slept Here Butch Cassidy Slept Here is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Nearest Airports: COD, BIL, WRL
Default Stress and Social workers vs. flight attendants

Jim: After getting my degree in Social Work--(BS--SW) I worked in child protection ("child abuse") for a time. I would give the "stress award" to the flight attendants. For some of my colleagues the source of stress was getting caught-up in the emotionality (or horrific nature) of a given case. However, if one could avoid that there was little stress, but a tremendous amount of fatigue and intense concentration. In the state where I worked there were clear procedures, or "hoops" to be jumped-through, which had to be done. If one could jump through all the hoops your boss would be satisfied. Based on what I've seen on this board flight attendants have "policies du jour" to be followed. And sometimes, it seems, those policies become known after the fact. Thus, regardless of what occupation you work in, if you have a boss who, on a daily basis, pulls "rabbits out of a hat" then, yes, you will get stressed.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:35 PM

Well Butch, I think we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I do think though that your response rather makes my point...

Doesn't quite compare to unco-operative passengers refusing to change seats, put their luggage away or saying "bye bye plane" after a long exhausting day... does it?

Customer Service FLIGHT ATTENDANT RAGE Brenda Price American Airlines Complaints 4 Jun 7, 2011 1:20 AM
In-flight Issue Rude Flight Attendant doogiekd Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 20 Mar 31, 2011 6:41 PM
In-flight Issue Rude flight attendant riduculed me Maria Fernandes Southwest Airlines Complaints 1 Mar 31, 2011 4:27 AM
In-flight Issue Discriminated by flight attendant among other issues bun Southwest Airlines Complaints 3 Aug 10, 2010 3:28 PM
In-flight Issue US Airways: Harassment by Flight Attendant [email protected] In-flight Issues 3 Jan 22, 2008 5:36 AM