Old Aug 4, 2011, 1:36 PM
hocke hocke is offline

Join Date: Aug 2011
Default Delta's International Travel Surcharge

Just found something interesting on Delta's website. Thought I'd found a very inexpensive flight to Bangkok, $1103 round trip. Almost $200 less than other airlines for the same time. But then I noticed that the fine print below the price showed an after taxes and charges price of $1660. It seems that Delta is charging an "international travel surcharge" fee of $450 for the flight. This strikes me as a very sneaky way of increasing the price and hiding it in an area that implies that the fee in government imposed. Not sure how many travelers would be fooled by this tactic but as I said, seems underhanded and sneaky to me.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:12 PM
A320FAN A320FAN is offline

Join Date: Jan 2011

Originally Posted by hocke View Post

Ummmm...........Those are taxes and PFCs that are collected and turned into the respective governments. Some countries are higher then others.
You can find a cheap fare to the Dominican Republic for example, and the taxes and other government fees imposed by the government turned into hundreds of dollars. There is alo that fuel surcharge as well to transport you from oint A to point B as well.
Old Aug 4, 2011, 7:28 PM
hocke hocke is offline

Join Date: Aug 2011

Below is copied directly from the Delta website. This is a carrier imposed charge, not a government imposed charge. I checked with other carriers for the same travel dates and none had taxes and other charges that were higher than $80 or so.

International Surcharges
Carrier-imposed surcharges pursuant to applicable international tariff filings International YQ/YR up to
$260*
each way
Old Nov 4, 2011, 6:45 PM
NWAtix NWAtix is offline

Join Date: Nov 2011
Exclamation DL Intl Svc Chg

It really is a Delta fee, can you believe it? Thank goodness I'm not on the phones for them anymore, imagine trying to explain that little bombshell? "Yes, the fare is $100, but with taxes and fees and a whopping surcharge it totals out to $850." (shudder)

Warning! Japan Airlines international travel from BNA to BKK levi0515 Other Airline Complaints 18 Mar 11, 2010 2:16 AM