COMPLAINT: Worst Airline ever

Old Jul 5, 2013, 4:46 AM
apgrocks apgrocks is offline

Join Date: Jul 2013

We just got home in US after visiting my parents in India. We booked for a return flight though ETIHAD. The flight plan was for July 3rd, 2013, from TRV to AUH (EY 273), AUH to ORD (EY 151) and ORD to HSV (AA 3325) which is where our home is.

Myself and my family (all together 3 passengers) , reached TRV at 1 AM on July 3rd and was told that flight EY 273 is delayed. Initially they told me, it was delayed 1 hour and later they told me it was delayed about three hours. I raised my concern about missing connection flight EY 151 from AUH because of the delay. I requested them to put us in some other flight and some other airline so that we could reach US without delay. They didn't do anything and kept on assuring me that my connection flight EY 151 will be held for us. After about 4 hours of sitting at the gate at TRV and another 30 minutes in the aircraft, we took off from TRV and reached AUH at 9.30 AM.

I checked through my cell phone flight tracking and found that my connection flight EY 151, which was scheduled at 9.45 AM, is delayed more than one hour. However the ETIHAD agent at the flight transfer desk at AUH would not let us proceed to the gate 34. He kept on saying the gate is closed. I told him we have the boarding passes for EY 151 and as per the online flight tracker (from my cell phone), the flight is delayed 1 hour and fifteen minutes. We also told him about the assurances of the ETIHAD agent at TRV that flight EY 151 will be held for us. In spite of our pleas, he would not let us proceed to the gate. Then he proceeded to book us a new route to reach US .

He booked us a new route which is AUH to KWI (EY 307), KWI to IAD (UA 981) and IAD to HSV (UA 5755). He also retagged our checked in baggages ( 3 pieces) through the new route and gave us new baggage tags and took the old ones from us. In the stressful situation, I didn't notice that the new connection flight from IAD to HSV is only 60 minutes from the arrival time at IAD.

Because the EY 307 to KWI is only at 8.30 PM in the evening (10 hours wait at AUH), he put us in Airport hotel. That also only after arguing with him for hotel accommodation. We spent about 10 hours in a horrible airport hotel room at AUH with very stiff beds and proceeded to the gate to board EY 307. Again the flight was delayed about 2 hours and we sat at the gate. Finally we reached KWI on EY 307 and proceeded to the gate for UA 981. The UA agent checked our boarding passes and we told him that we have three checked in baggage. We boarded flight UA 981 without much hassle and reached IAD at 6.30 AM on July 4th.
At IAD, we cleared immigration and reached baggage claim area to claim our baggage. We waited and waited until all the bags from UA 981 were checked and found that our bags didn't came with flight UA 981. The UA agent told us to proceed to the gate for the connection flight UA 5755 and to report to the UA agent at HSV which is our final destination regarding the delayed/missing baggage. After all these delays at the baggage claim, discussion regarding lost baggage with the agent and running though terminals at IAD, we reached gate for UA 5755 at 7.40 AM , only to find that the gate is closed for the flight which is scheduled for departure at 7.45 AM.

We contacted customer service of UA and were told that our only option for travelling on July 4th, 2013 to HSV, is to get to DCA airport by taxi and fly with US airways flight US 3281. We took the option and reached DCA and flew out of DCA and reached HSV at 12.30 PM on July 4th, 2013. We proceeded to the UA agent desk at HSV regarding the delayed/missing baggage from flight UA 981. After checking and calling several persons at UA, the agent gave us file number for delayed/missing baggage and told us, they will try to deliver the baggage in five days.
In summary, a two stop, 28 hour flight from TRV to HSV (TRV to AUH, AUH to ORD, ORD to HSV), on ETIHAD airways became a stressful, 5 stop (TRV to AUH, AUH to KWI, KWI to IAD, IAD to DCA and DCA to HSV), three airline, 45 hours flight, ending with our checked baggage still delayed/missing.

This happened because of the
1. Delays of ETIHAD flights TRV and at AUH
2. Lack of communication between ETIHAD agents at TRV and AUH.
3. A very un-cooperative, ETIHAD agent at flight transfer desk at AUH, who prevented us from proceeding to the gate even after we told him that we have boarding passes and that the flight EY 151 is delayed and that agent at TRV assured us that flight EY 151 will be held for us at AUH.
4.The ETIHAD agent at AUH booked us on new route without considering the short time gap between connection flights at IAD.
5.Extremely poor baggage handling of ETIHAD and United Airways.

God willing, we, as a family will never again fly ETIHAD.

Air Europa - the worst airline ever mcfuentes Other Airline Complaints 13 Nov 19, 2014 10:07 AM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Worst Global Airline ShanghaiRich Air Canada Complaints 0 Nov 14, 2012 1:32 AM
In-flight Issue Truly the worst airline Ive ever flown on fyregurl1975 Spirit Airlines Complaints 0 Sep 18, 2011 4:54 AM
Baggage Problems Spirit The Worst Airline!! sandra jimenez Spirit Airlines Complaints 0 Jul 6, 2011 4:53 PM
Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked Worst Airline! No Compensation simpsolm Flights Canceled / Delayed / Overbooked 11 Feb 15, 2011 7:39 PM