View Poll Results: What do you think?
Am i in the wrong? 0 0%
Should i be compensated? 0 0%
What should be done with Alitalia regarding such a poor quality of service? 0 0%
Will you be flying with them? 0 0%

COMPLAINT: Alitalia Baggage issue and customer relations fiasco

Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:06 AM
Kish Kish is offline

Join Date: Jul 2012

I flew with Alitalia on the 26th March 2012 where mine and my girlfriend's luggage was delayed. We were in Rome for 4 days and received one bag a day later and the other 2 days later.

We were forced into buying clothing, toiletries, etc. and we were specifically told by a number of Alitalia representatives (over the phone in the hotel) that we would be refunded the full amount for the loss incurred. We did not go out there to shop and this was the last thing we wanted to do but we had no option but to. In a last attempt to find out where our luggage was, we once again asked if we could purchase clothing and be refunded. Again, the answer was yes. We proceeded to buy clothing and essentials as we did not want any more of our holiday ruined.

After returning to the UK, and via email only, we were told that we would only get 50% of our entitled money. I was absolutely devastated as I trusted the representatives. Fortunately for us, we hadn't gone shopping near the seven steps where the nicest shops were (the clothing my girlfriend buys back home) as we only wanted temporary clothing and toiletries (makeup, etc).

After many, many emails and even one telephone conversation, we were still told that only 50% would be refunded. I was fuming but there was nothing I could do. Over the telephone, the lady I spoke to couldn't understand me properly and communications were terrible. I cannot understand for the life of me why Alitalia does not have a customer relations number for us to contact them on. Each email reply would take 10 to12 days and it's just not good enough. I spoke to a member (not sure who) of the Alitalia team and asked if they could provide a number for me (as someone did call me once) and they couldn't do this for me.

In fact, one lady swore at me and said I'm wasting my time. I was even more angry now and just didn't know how Alitalia trained there staff. I couldn't believe it. I have, to date, not received half of the money they had told me they would "kindly" refund. This is still in the process and, in fact, I have just received a confirmation email saying it will be transferred "wahay".

I am in general just disgusted with the lack of communication, lack of assistance and disrespect I have been shown with this fiasco. The honesty I placed in a member of the Alitalia team was tarnished when I returned home. I would like my other half refunded also, if not more compensation, for the nuisance and time it has taken to date.

I will for sure (no matter how cheap) not be flying with Alitalia again. In fact i would happily pay hundreds more to avoid them.

Old Jul 28, 2012, 10:06 PM

The Montreal Convention covers lost and delayed baggage rules. This convention was incorporated into EU law (Rule 889/2002) and you are entitled to compensation for lost and delayed baggage. The maximum you can claim is approximately 960 which is equivalent to 1,000 Special Drawing Rights, which is a special international currency for airline claims. You can convert SDRs to your home currency using this calculator:

The problem is this. You do not state how much you claimed. It cannot under any circumstances be more than 1,000 SDR. However, there is no specified amount for delayed baggage, it is subject to negotiation between the customer and the airline. If you are unhappy with their offer and think your claim is reasonable, you can take them to small claims. This is easy to do in the UK, you can do it online via the Court Service website. You can contact them here:

Alitalia must respond to this claim, or you will receive a default judgment. The costs are minimal in this procedure and you will have the pleasure of impounding one of their planes if they refuse to pay.

When it comes down to it, you must be reasonable. If you purchased only necessary items, you can expect the court to be reasonable. If your girlfriend only wears Armani and you purchased 200 worth of underwear, you are unlikely to find the court sympathetic.
Old Jul 29, 2012, 10:51 AM
Kish Kish is offline

Join Date: Jul 2012

Well i can safely say that we did not buy 200 armani underwear.

In fact our total expenditure was 497. This may sound a lot but that includes makeup, underclothing, a t-shirt, shirt and trousers for myself. Underclothing for my girlfriend, makeup, two tops, leggings and a pair of shoes.

These were modest shops down the road we stayed (via nazionale) and the cheapest stuff we could manage.

We didn't go there for shopping and that was the last thing we wanted to waste our time doing as Rome is a wonderful city with lots to see, unfortunately we didnt have enough time.

Rome is an expensive city and as you can imagine it wasnt cheap.

My wardrobe does consist of designer clothing but tbh i just couldnt be bothered and wanted fresh clothing.

Thank you for your reply.

In-flight Issue Customer Relations ignoring complaint TucsonEagleEye British Airways Complaints 3 Sep 27, 2015 10:27 AM
Reservations Aa customer relations - based in cape town, sa - call charges apply! teocali American Airlines Complaints 0 Jun 11, 2012 1:57 PM
Berlin baggage issue and Delta's miserable customer service jlg22_2000 Air Berlin Complaints 2 Dec 23, 2010 12:46 AM
Customer Service No response from Customer Relations rjyeomans American Airlines Complaints 4 Nov 10, 2010 9:55 PM