COMPLAINT: Alitalia - customer service is horrible

Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:21 AM
Jose.Romero Jose.Romero is offline

Join Date: Mar 2008

On February 21st, 2008 my wife and I took flight on a trip of a lifetime to visit Egypt, Jordan, and Israel. This was my first experience with Alitalia Airlines and it began with Flight AZ637/AZ882. The flight was from Miami connecting in Milan and finally arriving at our destination in Cairo. Upon arrival to the airport I discovered my luggage had not made it to Cairo. Immediately I reported the incident to the Alitalia baggage service where they gave me an Alitalia Baggage Assistance envelope/document holder. There were no documents in this envelope with instructions on what I could do. Just the document holder with a File Number (AHLCAJAZ44519) written on it and a phone number where I could call for information.

I explained to the baggage service it was imperative for me to locate and get my baggage as soon as possible because in it was a very important medical device to treat my sleep apnea and that without it I would not be able to sleep at night and could possibly loose my life at worst.
On February 22nd in the evening I still had not heard from anybody concerning my baggage and it’s whereabouts. Not even a courtesy call to say Alitalia was tracking the bag. I decided to call the number given to me for information but no one ever answered. I got on the Internet on the hotel where I was staying to get a number in Miami. I called Miami and still no one answered the phone. I spoke about the situation to my tour operator and they took the information and repeatedly called until they finally got word that Alitalia was looking for the bag but had no information.

On February 23rd noon time I decided to leave my vacation/tour to head to the Cairo airport Alitalia Baggage service counter. I could not take it anymore since I had not slept in 3 days because of my sleep apnea, I needed my baggage and my medical device. The agent at the counter had informed me that they were still tracking the bag. I could not believe that 3 days later Alitalia still did not know where my baggage was. I had been wearing the same clothing for 3 days so I asked if there was any assistance to purchase clothing. The agent indicated I must show my passport to receive the assistance. Thank goodness I had given my tour operator a copy of my passport which had already been faxed to the agency. I proceeded to remind the agent that she had a copy of my passport. She then proceeded to say they did not have the correct change to give me the $50 assistance. My tour operator had to provide change to the agent so she could in turn give me the $50 assistance for clothing and toiletries. There was obviously no desire on her part to make things better, her mindset was on obstacles and not solutions.

It was not until February 25th, five days from the original flight that I received my baggage. Upon receiving it I discovered that my bag was mistagged with that of passenger Maor Benharoush on flight AZ805/AZ362 to Marseille.

After our vacation out of Israel on our return flight with Alitalia on March 4th, 2008 we arrived at the airport at 3:00 AM to catch our flight. Security screeing was pretty quick but then we stood at the Alitalia counter in line with others for an hour and a half. It was so unbearable several of us had to sit down on the floor of the airport while the ticketing agents spent approximately 15-20 minutes on average with each customer. It was truly torture in the
I have over 450,000 flight miles and have never experience such bad service. We tried our best to not allow this damage our vacation experience but it sure made it difficult. I want to believe this is not the usual service for Alitalia and would appeciate an opportunity to form a new opinion of your airline. My wife and I plan to vacation in Italy in the future and we would appreciate a flight voucher or discount voucher on behalf of your airline.

Old Aug 21, 2008, 2:06 PM
smalenberg smalenberg is offline

Join Date: Aug 2008

I can report a similar problem with Alitalia. Our baggage on our departure was delayed by 3 days when it did not make the connecting flight. Worse, on our return when unpacking the bag, I found that the internal support bracket for the retractable handle had been broken.

I attempted to file and claim and was forced to pay for a written repair appraisal. I send all the necessary information and did not receive a reply for nearly a month. When I did receive the reply, I was told that the claim was rejected because I had not filed a damage report at the airport. To determine that the bag was damaged, I would have had to unpack the entire case in the airport. It is completely unreasonable and the damage is excessive.

I attempted to call the service number to dispute this and after being on hold for 20 minutes, I was routed to a voicemail that was not accepting messages. Trying again 2 days later, I was on hold for 15 minutes before the phone rang then abruptly switched to a busy signal and disconnected me.

Alitalia is the worst airline I've ever dealt with and I encourage everyone to avoid them at all costs. This lack of customer assistance is certainly a factor in the continuing financial problems the airline has.
Old Feb 18, 2011, 11:37 AM

This is new... advertising!!
Old Feb 20, 2011, 1:29 AM
rita rita is offline

Join Date: Feb 2011

I don't know if I can fit it all in this space. I was going to write a book about it...it was supposed to be the best vacation of my life...first trip to Europe. It was a nightmare...the worst vacation of my life and I am still fighting with them over reimbursement.
Alitalia is the worst airline. They lost all of my luggage over a year ago and I am still fighting with them over the money they owe me ($1465) for what I spent to re-purchase my luggage, clothing, boots, shoes, toiletries, makeup, etc. They are a disgraceful bunch of mobsters in my opinion. There is NO customer “service” as they sarcastically smirk when you ask them anything.
http://wp.me/p1l3In-4 There is so much more to the story than is mentioned on that link….for example, after they lost everything and I was in the Milan airport with nothing except a small tote bag, and the clothes on my back…naturally I was upset…they were nasty to me and refused to talk to me until “I calmed down.” And, after I had to repurchase everything with my money- including luggage- since my trip was multiple cities across France and Italy- when they lost my luggage, they lost all of my clothing, my boots, (it was snowing!) my shoes, my makeup, my toiletries and my luggage and my daughter’s luggage. We could not TRAVEL until and unless I purchased everything all over again. They assured me that I would be reimbursed. But all of that is included in the link….however, the “icing on the cake” was when we were in the Florence airport waiting for our connecting flight to return home, and the Alitalia agent claimed that our luggage was now over the weight limit and she wanted me to pay for the extra baggage! So, imagine this now…..THEY LOST my luggage for the ENTIRE vacation. I only received it back in time to put it on the return flight so I had to rebuy everything, (I never even opened it in Italy!) so Yes, I imagine that I had some extra weight….. so now she was attempting to “charge” me for extra weight…..THIS was after they refused to let me even “speak” to them in Milan……you can imagine how upset I got. I refused to pay and tried to explain why…..But, she didn’t care….she insisted. So, I threw out the heaviest toiletries, boots, and clothes in the airport until I got down to the “acceptable” weight and now over ONE YEAR later, they are refusing to pay me what they owe me and they won’t even pay me what they OFFERED to pay me (AND I THREW OUT MOST OF THOSE CLOTHES AND BOOTS IN THE AIRPORT anyway....I don't even own them!)– or even acknowledge that they made a typo in the offer letter (per the link, they meant to offer $1225, but typed $225)!!! Actually “Alitalia sucks” is too kind. They are criminals, hoodlums, and I pray for the day that the company goes out of business.

Last edited by rita; Feb 20, 2011 at 1:31 AM.
Old May 7, 2011, 6:50 PM
rangefan rangefan is offline

Join Date: May 2011

Elizabeth Santella
Manager,
Elizabeth since nobody can talk like humans directly to your airline I will try to explain again. When my mother was admitted to the hospital things had to move fast. I called to change the flight ready to pay the fee but the woman was very nice and waived it on her own. The resevation was made for a early flight the very next day. I told them to call before boarding and none came but I toght that was a good sign. A hour later i was called collect [ the first of many to come. ] that his name was not on the flight they knew nothing. The flight was the same except for the day ITALY TO MIAMI THEN ON TO TAMPA. I called and the manager I talked to the day before was not there but I was promised a call back. None came. Now I knew as you would have what i was dealing with. I called a few times more and was finally connected with her. She explained that later on that evening someone higher than her disallowed the resavation due to them not charging the extra fee that I was ready to pay. They then cancelled the two resavations and heres the problem. NO ONE WAS TOLD. They had checked out of hotel and room was already given away due to some concert. they paid when they left so they did not have a credit card for another and rates doubled. I was very upset that one simple call was not made. Well more to come. OK I am still ready to pay but Now I am to0ld they can only come home with the same connection that they reserved even though there was plenty of room on the ITALY TO NY TO TAMPA. REMEMBER MY MOM IS STILL DYING and im trying to handle this too. The next problem was the next italy to miami to tampa flight was in two days OOOPPPS it has been cancelled. So days later with western union money tranfers long distace bills over a thousand dollars his girl breaking up with him he also got a ticket for screaming in the italy airport. It is wierd how people hang on to life until they say goodbye. My mom passed the night after he got home. This was because of one phone call that you did not make and one plane you would not let them take because of your computer. But as we learned you are not a people airline. no phone calls allowed. Can you tell me who could or would make up a story like this. And youi think its about a 200 dollar fee. Thats why you should talk to people. I am learning though the blogs and tweets what i can do to make this horrable thing you did to us known. I am learning and for now have the time and as you see from all the letters will not stop till as many people that will listern to my story. Maybe I will learn Italian, at least to write it. I know I will not hurt your airline but if I could spare anyone even one the misary and the bills it is worth it. I have hope that talking to a new person that you will understand its not about me paying e stupid fee. I had the visa in my hand. One phone call that would have been it but now i know that you do not get phones to use. WITH HOPE====STEPHEN LANG
Old May 7, 2011, 11:00 PM

Alitalia are notorious.. They went bankrupt and were rescued by the govenment. Sadly you are unlikely to ge anywhere with this sorry excuse fr an airline. They are almost as bad as Delta. Best to take an indirect flight via London or Frankfurt than risk flying Alitala direct.
Old May 9, 2011, 7:36 PM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

Alitalia is bad...they are up there on the worst with delta in close 2nd. my coworkers and i flew on alitalia from ord to rome. the flight wasn't even half full...about 60 people on a 767 that holds from 250-300. they put EVERYBODY in the back!! so we purposley waited to board last so we could see what seats were open. when i saw about 50 of 60 people in the very back and in center seats i turned around and told my crew to move up and find a row and sit down...its packed in the back...we ended up having our own rows which was nice. then i got up to go to the back galley to get a glass of water. i saw the flight attendants sitting in the jumpseats talking, they turned around and looked at me, i told them im sorry to interupt but may i please have a glass of water, the flight attendant told me, the cart is right there help yourself. now as a flight attendant myself when my passenger comes to the galley and asks for something i smile and say of course. it wasnt a great flight. then the lead came up to us and asked who we fly for (in a non-pleasent voice like we caused a problem), we told her and she was all nice after that. could care less to fly on them again. their seats suck too, just as bad as air indias and lufthansa airbus seats
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:26 PM

Location: High Wycombe

I've cut-and-pasted the 'official' complaint I'm about to send via email to Alitalia, but I've been appalled at their intransigence and rudeness. I decided the only way to deal with them was to embarrass them publicly by raising my complaint openly on their Facebook wall. After eight days of refusing to return my luggage, magically it appeared. No financial compensation, of course, and certainly no apology. Their loss, I'll continue to badmouth them to anyone who'll listen and they won't be getting my custom again.

------------------------COMPLAINT SENT TO ALITALIA-------------

I missed my originally booked connecting flight AZ2034 from Rome Fiumicino (on 26-06-11) by appx 10 minutes. I was found and paid for two later connecting flights to London Heathrow via Milan AZ2092/AZ7898 and was told my baggage would be sent directlyto London Heathrow, where I could collect it from the dedicated Baggage Retrieval desk. I duly caught the two later connecting flights and went to the Baggage Retrieval desk at Heathrow, as advised. My luggage wasn’t there. I was told to fill out a form, which I did. I handed it over and was not given a receipt. Two days later, when my luggage still hadn’t arrived, I rang Alitalia at Heathrow and was told categorically – first by an employee called Connie, then by her boss, a Mr Andrea Talocchi, that they had my luggage, that it had travelled with me on each of the connecting flights I’d taken. It had taken them almost twelve hours to notice my luggage was on the carousel. When I pointed out that the check in clerk at the Rome Alitalia desk had informed me my luggage would be sent directly, both Connie and Mr Talocchi said this was ‘impossible’, as ‘no airline is allowed by law to send luggage separately to the passenger’. Therefore, Mr Talocchi argued, I would have to return to Heathrow at my own expense to collect it. He refused to accept it had been lost. A few days later, a representative of Thomsons in High Wycombe (who had originally booked my Alitalia flights) said that every airline has to fly lost luggage separately to the passenger after it is reported lost, and that the advice I had been given by Connie and Mr Talocchi was nonsense. I waited eight days before – with no apology or explanation – my luggage was delivered to my home address late one night. By that time I had been advised to contact – and had, at my own expense – Alitalia’s Head Office in Rome & B.A.A. in London. I decided to press for compensation via Alitalia’s Facebook page, and was stonewalled at every stage. No apology, no offer of compensation. I now expect fair and proper remuneration for the distress caused me by holding on to my luggage for over a week, for refusing to take responsibility for the mishandling of my property, plus payment for the pressing/dry-cleaning of my suit. I attach photocopies of all the relevant documentation, including the luggage tag.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 3:59 PM
azstar azstar is offline

What you were told by Alitalia in London was nonsense. When your bags are delayed, every airline has to send it, by whatever means, without the passenger. I doubt you will get any reimbursement for "distress" or pressing and cleaning since you would have to do that anyway , but you should be compensated for items you had to purchase during the delay of your baggage.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 4:20 PM
frequentraveller frequentraveller is offline

Join Date: Jul 2011

I'm Italian-born but have lived in South Africa for many years. I travel regularly around the world with my partner and although I have travelled with many airlines that are seriously lacking in many aspects I have yet to find one that is so severely deficient in so many ways. I am ashamed that this is Italy's national airline and is in the front line in making that first impression to visitors of our beautiful country.

After losing our luggage at Xmas when travelling to Sicily and making it available four days later, I am still waiting for the reimbursement of the expenses incurred to buy a few toiletries and some clothes to tide us over until our cases were found. I have submitted our documents several times, by fax and by email. I have phoned. Family in Italy have phoned. No success.

Last week I returned from another trip after having attended a family wedding. Alitalia cancelled our flight at the time it was supposed to be taking off. They gave priority on other flights to passengers according to criteria known only to themselves. I subsequently missed my on-flights to Spain and South Africa and had to buy a new ticket on a different airline via another country. Alitalia washed their hands of responsibility, they said their "contract" with me was to get me to Rome, which they did. The fact that it was 2 hours too late and that I "chose to travel with another airline" was not their problem. They also lost my suitcase which I had to collect today, 7 days later, from my city's airport (they could not be bothered to have it delivered to my home). Also no courtesy calls to let me know where it was. I had to phone regularly to Rome for news on its progress.

The staff is mostly extremely rude and unhelpful which is a common complaint about both Alitalia air, ground and callcentre staff. Don't even try to get assistance from any information or ticketing counter staff at Italian airports (and this also counts for Italians working for foreign airlines at these airports). If you're not met with a grunted answer you have to get into a screaming fight with them. This doesn't get you anywhere either other than give you the satisfaction of having hopefully ruined their day just as they have ruined yours.

I choose not to fly with Alitalia in the future and I will make it my mission to discourage other people to do so as well.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:03 PM

Originally Posted by frequentraveller View Post

This is fascinating, and somehow incredibly consoling. I realised very quickly that Alitalia were going to stonewall and block any and every attempt by me to get them to return my luggage. So I decided to go public and broadcast my complaint via their Facebook page. I also invited others to contact me if they'd had similar tales of woe. I very quickly got a response from Alitalia's Facebook team, and - eventually - my suitcase. Separately, I emailed Margaret Dibben at The Observer, and, although I've not - to date - heard anything from her, I'm sure the threat of huge public embarrassment accelerated their decision to have done with me.

I'll keep people informed as to whether or not I receive a response or any kind of financial redress, but thank you for detailing your (far worse) tale of woe. It doesn't surprise me that you seem to be blacklisted now. What a pathetic way of going about things: very Berlusconi, one might say.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:06 PM

Originally Posted by azstar View Post
That's very reassuring. And fair comment about what I might be entitled to in the form of compensation. Alitalia really are incredibly stupid in their short term attitude. How many passengers are they prepared to lose to justify their meanness?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:08 PM
frequentraveller frequentraveller is offline

Originally Posted by bucksplit View Post
I doubt they will lose too many. Complaints about Alitalia's incompetence have been around for years. There are still hundreds of thousands of people travelling in Italy all year round and often there is no other choice but to fly with an Alitalia flight because of the inflexibility of the traveller's dates, times and budget.

I choose to broadcast my experiences with Alitalia for my own satisfaction and hopefully to save even a few people the frustration and misery I felt (and the shinsplints from running around Rome Fiumicino Airport in high heels.... )
Old Dec 18, 2011, 6:03 AM
gwen gwen is offline

Join Date: Dec 2011

I chose this airline as I was confident that this would have been the right airline to go on my travel. My flight destination was from Istanbul to Miami with a one stop in Rome, italy, which I was okay with. The on plane service was horrible. Flight attendants were never there to attend their on-plane customers. İnstead, they spend their entire time in the back on the plane, small talking. Once ın Rome, none of the Alitalia employees were there to help. I eventually made it to Miami. However, once hereö after my 2 week business trip, my flight back was scheduled from Miami 2 days ago on Friday. I was trying to do a web check-in, but the web service was not working. With my luggage all packed, I was en route to Miami International Airport and as İ checked my e-mail 3 hours before my scheduled flıght, İ received an e-mail from my agency telling me that the plane has been delayed for the next day on Saturday. So İ hastened back to the hotel İ was staying at and had to check back in. Thank god there were 2 more rooms available. However, thanks to Alitalia, it cost me a couple extra hundred dollars out of pocket to pay for all those expenses. The next day, İ hastened back to the airport to end up in a monstrous line that would have taken at least 5 hours to go through. A lady who works at the airport approached customers and told us that the flıght, once agaın, was delayed. Instead of apologizing, she kept rollıng her eyes and came back two hours later to tell the hundreds of people that they could go to the front to receive FREE COFFEE to make up for the delay. For christ’s sake, such an offer is nothing but humiliation and more than disrespectful. She then told us to wait in line and that all Alitalia customers will be receiving free food for the long delay! Hours later, I had to leave the airport again as the line was making no improvement in advancing. When İ came back to the airport a few hours later at 11 pm, for check-in, they told me that there was a problem with my connectıng flight from rome to istanbul. They told me at the airport that there was no connectıng flight from rome to italy (THAT IS HOW I BOOKED MY FLIGHT MIAMI-FLIGHT-ITALY<<<<<<<<<<<<1,500 DOLLAR TICKET) and proposed that I should find a hotel close by the rome airport and wait for a possible flight to İstanbul the next day. I began to panıc as I had a VERY IMPORTANT BUSINESS MEETING IN ISTANBUL on Monday, and when I told them about thıs ıssue, ınstead of finding a solution, they laughed at me, went to the back, made me wait for a good 30 minutes until their supervisor came to confront me. This was totally uncalled for. All in all, I am going to miss my Monday meeting and most likely lose my job as a consequence of Alitalias malfunctioning service! İ want to join the group and fight for all compensations. This was the most horrible experience I have ever had! SUCKS SUCKS SUCKS!!!!

Originally Posted by rita View Post

Old Jan 10, 2012, 12:39 AM
jenthebird jenthebird is offline

Join Date: Jan 2012

I booked my honeymoon with Alitalia and it was the worst mistake I've ever made. I ended up canceling and rebooking my connection flight because of their 3 hour flight delay. The worst part is that no one in Alitalia is willing to give me reason why it was delayed so I can’t claim my travel insurance to get money back that I lost because I had to rebook at the last minute. I called all the contact numbers on the site (which route your call to 1 call center) and even asked them in the Toronto and Rome airports. If you're thinking of flying with Al Italia, you're better trying other airlines even cheap ones like Ryan Air or Easy Jet give you much better service. For instance, if you press the button for assistance while you're on the flight, I can guarantee you that the light will stay on until you land- flight attendants will walk right by and pretend not to see when you ask for help. Try it if you don’t believe me. Alitalia is a waste of money and will leave you feeling bitter about your travel/vacation experience.

Check-in / Boarding horrible customer service Albert Lin American Airlines Complaints 5 Sep 30, 2008 10:45 PM
Customer Service AirTran - horrible customer service ericherring Customer Service 0 Aug 20, 2008 3:37 AM
In-flight Issue Horrible Service, AA 181, 7/23/08 willy9394 American Airlines Complaints 6 Aug 4, 2008 6:45 PM
Customer Service Horrible NWA Customer Service Experience Bill_B Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Aug 22, 2007 12:06 PM
Customer Service Lost luggage-horrible customer service! tbotzon American Airlines Complaints 0 Aug 16, 2007 11:00 PM