COMPLAINT: Alitalia - And Its Horrible Customer Service, If It Really Exists!

Old Mar 9, 2009, 1:29 PM

Join Date: Mar 2009

I traveled with my kids from Boston to Cairo, Egypt, on Alitalia airlines for two weeks during the Christmas holidays. In Cairo airport, we went to pick up our five bags from the belt but unfortunately after waiting for more than an hour, we found that none of our five bags arrived. Many other families were unfortunate as well. We had to spend two more hours in Cairo airport to file a claim for the lost bags.
The next day we got a call from a taxi driver saying that our bags arrived and he will be delivering the bags to us. Unfortunately only four out of the five bags were delivered. This is when my nightmares began. The lost bag had our camcorder, family video recordings, kidsí clothing and many gifts. I kept trying to call Alitaliaís customer service thatís located in Cairo airport for many hours everyday to get an update but the phones were never answered. The only way I was able to reach them is to drive to the airport to ask them in their offices. I almost wasted my vacation trying to get someone to answer the phone.
Two days before returning to Boston, I spent four hours documenting every detail about the lost bag, its contents, the purchase date, the value, etc. I tried to fax it using the fax number I was given in my claim forms but it never worked. After researching the internet I found some fax number that I was successfully able to use.
I was sure Iíd be able to talk to the customer service once I got back to Boston since I thought Alitalia should be required to follow higher standards in US than Egypt but I was mistaken. I kept trying to call their office in NY but it was no different than the situation in Egypt. Again I kept searching for another way to contact them and I was able to find an email address on the web. I sent them an email asking them for an update; they replied they will continue to search for my bag and that my bag is not considered lost until after one hundred days from the travel date.
Since I bought travel insurance for this trip, the insurance company asked me to get a report from Alitalia that I have not received my bag yet. I asked Alitalia to send me this report but they never replied me.
Now itís almost three months since we lost this bag and we didnít get reimbursed by the airlines for any of the emergency purchases we did in Cairo. Also why should we wait for more than 100 days to get reimbursed for the lost bag?! Why doesnít Alitalia send me the report I need so that I can send it to my insurance company and get some reimbursement?! The big question is why are they allowed to operate in US with their non-existent customer service and merciless treatment for the travelers?!

Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:32 PM
Silent Bob Silent Bob is offline

Location: NY NY

I think you forgot to ask the biggest question: why did you pack valuables in your check in bag? When it comes to international travel, I try to limit what I keep in my check in bags as I've learned that from airport agents, TSA, custom agents, anyone who can get a hand on my bag while I am not in sight, can and will go through it and take what they please. But an entire bag? Yes that's possible. You should also put more pressure on Alitalia, if the bag is that important, by also going to their offices in Boston (Also to get the letter you need for your travel insurance), tracking who you talk to and what time and reporting to the department of transportation. But if its been more than 100 days and still no bag? it may be gone for good.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 4:52 PM

Join Date: Mar 2009

Thanks for the reply. I have three kids to manage and many other things that we carry on while traveling, so I had to load the bags. By the way, when we traveled in 2007 using Alitalia too, none of our five bags arrived with us as well. They arrived after a week. So I told myself, this is impossible to happen again since it's too rare
Do you think their office in Boston will give me the report I need? The office that handles lost baggage is located in NY. I was thinking to go to the small court, is this a good idea?
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:20 PM
Leatherboy2006 Leatherboy2006 is offline

Join Date: Nov 2007

Seems like you should look into taking another carrier next time you go to Egypt. I have had good luck with Luthasna via Frankurt. British Airways goes there via LHR and Air France goes there. Egypt-Air has non-stops out of JFK and has actually been getting some pretty good reviews.
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:25 PM

Join Date: Mar 2009

I'm done with Alitalia for sure. I am trying Lufthansa this year. I hear that British Airways has the biggest number of incidents for lost bags, not sure if it's true or not.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:47 AM

You are right, British Airways has a terrible record for luggage in LHR over the last year. They were related to problems during their move to a new terminal at LHR, which they claim have now been solved. Air France also offer connections via CDG, but CDG is not the best place to connect. I would try Lufthansa and see how you get on, BA second and AF third. Alitalia are a lost cause, and are in the process of merging with AirOne and will eventually be owned by either Air France or Lufthansa. For now they are a basket case and to be avoided at all costs.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 7:32 PM

Join Date: Mar 2009

The travel insurance company (I bought travel insurance) is asking me to get a letter from Alitalia confirming that I haven't received the bag yet.

I sent many emails to Alitalia and got zero replies.
I called their office in Boston, they told me they will send me a copy of the claim two weeks ago, I received nothing.
I called the Boston office again, and a lady there kept telling me that she sent it, I asked her if she sent herself or asked some one else to do it, she said she did it herself, then told me she will call me back.
They are definitely not trying to help.

What can I do?
I got nothing from Alitalia and they are not even helping me to get some compensation from the insurance company.

What can I do?

Any ideas
Old Mar 17, 2009, 10:44 PM

Write to them telling them you will sue unless they respond within 72 hours. Then phone them and tell them to email a copy of the letter that they are sending you whilst you wait on the phone. But don't hold your breath... Alitalia are the pits. They are not managed, they are controlled by unions who are out of control.
Old Mar 17, 2009, 11:15 PM
PHXFlyer PHXFlyer is offline

You might get a better response by contacting Alitalia's New York City offices. Here is the contact information I found on their website:

For baggage inquiries relating to luggage lost within the past 5 days, call 800-905-9992. After 5 days, if you are a permanent resident of the USA or Mexico, call 212-903-3575.
Good luck!
Old Mar 23, 2009, 7:54 PM
inthenameof inthenameof is offline

Join Date: Mar 2009

Alitalia is the absolute worst airlines I have ever, ever used. Most people say try another...sometimes you can't it is part of skyteam and with the flights you want you have to use them. However, I will try to reroute my flights and use other airlines. I am so tired of my CONFIRMED flights being changed. The rude people that work for alitalia and absolutely NO idea what CS stands for! They ast as if they are doing you a favor. Lost luggage, horrible and dirty seats and bathrooms. They are so rude when you call them if you are lucky enough to actually have the time to sit wait for 30 minutes or more and get them. Then they hung up on you. Yet, we are paying their wages and they think they are kind of the airline. Arrogent, rude, condesending and all of the other negative adjectives available would describe this airlines. Never, never again.
Old Apr 16, 2009, 10:39 PM

Join Date: Mar 2009

It's been four months and I got nothing from Alitalia.
I'm going to the small claims court. Today I got the forms and wondering who I should list as the defendant. I'm going to list their office in Boston but I need to state the defendant proper name. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Originally Posted by Leatherboy2006 View Post
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:09 AM

I guess if you are suing in Boston, you should put down their Boston office address:

Alitalia Airlines, Logan Airport Office
Street: 20 Logan Arpt, Boston, MA 02108-
Phone: (617) 567-6161

The official name of the company is: Compagnia Aerea Italiana S.p.A.

Surely Alitalia would do?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 12:27 AM

Thanks for the reply.
So I don't I need to write an actual name of a person/s that represents the company?
Old Apr 17, 2009, 7:53 AM

I don't think so..ask the court for guidance, they are usually pretty helpful.
Old Apr 18, 2009, 7:09 PM
52swiss 52swiss is offline

Join Date: Apr 2009

you are so correct..this is the worst airline we ever used..never asgain service sucks and flights are never on time so you miss connection....no help on counter..wish i could sue them for my lost 4 days i was stuck in tel aviv without my suitcase..castumer service is soooooo rude and no phone help what so ever
dont use them if you want to enjoy your vacation

Alitalia - customer service is horrible Jose.Romero Alitalia Complaints 14 Jan 10, 2012 12:39 AM
Check-in / Boarding horrible customer service Albert Lin American Airlines Complaints 5 Sep 30, 2008 10:45 PM
Customer Service AirTran - horrible customer service ericherring Customer Service 0 Aug 20, 2008 3:37 AM
Customer Service Horrible NWA Customer Service Experience Bill_B Delta Air Lines Complaints 0 Aug 22, 2007 12:06 PM
Customer Service Lost luggage-horrible customer service! tbotzon American Airlines Complaints 0 Aug 16, 2007 11:00 PM