General Discussion

For General Airline matters.

refund or not

Old Sep 11, 2013, 5:30 PM

This is for Jim.At the moment i will not name the airline as it is still in dispute?I had a flight booked for my wife and i on 2nd SEPT13.On the 28th AUG i was rushed into hospital with a suspected heart attack!The hospital discharged me at 2pm on the 2nd SEPT.Our flight was for 2300.On the SAT my son rang the airline to inform them i have to cancel the flight,they said the person who booked it has to cancel it,of course i was in hospital!On the 2nd at 3pm ish i tried to call the airline but engaged every time.So i sent a e mail to inform them i could not fly later at 2300 as i have just been discharged from hospital.I told them i am not looking for a refund,approx 200e but a transfer to another date.I also pointed out that apart from the current problem i am waiting for a call to go into hospital for a operation,and i feel the new flight would be in the new year.I sent that email on the 2nd SEPT and i sent another reminder today.Jim, what do you think will be there reply?A transfer or nothing???????
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Sep 11, 2013, 7:05 PM

Unless you bought a flexible ticket, your chances for getting anything but the taxes refunded is minimal.

You either need to insure yourself by a travel insurance or via the insurances some airlines offer for a fee.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:40 AM

This very much depends on the carrier... Some will allow you to transfer in these circumstances, but the majority will not. It sounds like an EU carrier? If they are loco, you have very little chance. Typically, your choices in this circumstance are as follows:

1. Check if your bank or credit card company carries insurance to cover these types of circumstances. (Mine does, but many people are unaware).

2. If you can amend the ticket online for a fee, do so... Even if you are not sure of the new travel dates, amend it o a future dare to keep it valid. Evn the loco's allow this on non-refundable tickets, but the fee can be quite steep.

3. Don't try to resolve it by phone with the CSR. They generally don't have the authority to waive the rules. Write and enclose proof... (a copy of your hospital discharge summary for example).

Good luck.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 7:22 AM

Good Morning,I am pleased to tell you that they,the airlines,are not all bad.With reference to our lost flight because i was discharged the same day from hospital,VUELING AIRWAYS,a Spanish airline,has allowed us to rebook our flight at NO CHARGE.At first they said i must rebook within 6 months after the cancelled flight,but i advised them that i had already booked a hotel beyond the 6 months they then extended the 6 months by another 3 months.BRILLIANT result,they are,at least human.Not like AIR BERLIN,who i am STILL fighting,and always will.The 288.28e they stole,i do not expect a refund,like VUELING,just allow us to book another flight,FOC.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:18 AM

Vueling has been bought by IAG,which makes it a wholly owned subsidiary of the BA/Iberia tie up. They are One World carriers,as is Air Berlin. Don't know if that is a good thing or not!!! However, there is a link. Barbara Cassani, who originally set up GO for BA, also helped turn around Vueling and s on the board of Air Berlin. Maybe you should write to her!!

Last edited by jimworcs; Sep 20, 2013 at 1:21 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 6:41 AM

Hi Jim,this Barbara person who is on the board at Air Berlin,do you know how i can get in touch with her.Because the CEO is still ignoring me and they still owe me 288.28e??????
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:44 AM

I don't, but is it always worth trying [email protected] or [email protected]
Old Sep 20, 2013, 9:59 AM

Just received an email from someone saying that Barbara Cassini no longer involved at Air Berlin. I think she will know, so probably a waste of time attempting to contact her.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:03 AM

[QUOTE=jimworcs;29913]This very much depends on the carrier... Some will allow you to transfer in these circumstances, but the majority will not. It sounds like an EU carrier? If they are loco, you have very little chance. Typically, your choices in this circumstance are as follows:

1. Check if your bank or credit card company carries insurance to cover these types of circumstances. (Mine does, but many people are unaware).

2. If you can amend the ticket online for a fee, do so... Even if you are not sure of the new travel dates, amend it o a future dare to keep it valid. Evn the loco's allow this on non-refundable tickets, but the fee can be quite steep.

3. Don't try to resolve it by phone with the CSR. They generally don't have the authority to waive the rules. Write and enclose proof... (a copy of your hospital discharge summary for example).

Good luck.[/QUOTE]
Old Jan 10, 2014, 9:12 AM

Dear Jimworcs,You may recall i had to cancel a flight with Vueling due to health problems.I am pleased to report that they gave us the opportunity to rebook a flight within 3 months,they then extended that to 6 months!!!!!We going FREE of charge to Mallorca in May14.Well done Vueling Airlines,Spain,i have found a "fair play"airline.Do you recall my problems with Air Berlin,ongoing as it would seem nobody wants to take on airlines,even my lawyer is reluctant?Are they GODS,do they rule with there T/Cs.Only if we let them?Thanks.