Customer Service
COMPLAINT: Delta/AMEX free companion ticket a joke

Old Aug 1, 2011, 7:12 PM

I recently completed my first year with American Express and was excited to receive my free companion ticket, except that it had an expiration date of less than 2 months away! Do they expect people to just drop everything they have planned so they can use that certificate? Of course not, it's just a gimmick to get you to sign up for a Delta AMEX card. So I will be unable to use the certificate--what a ripoff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook

Replies:

Old Aug 2, 2011, 12:53 PM
Former Airline Employee (NOT OFFICIAL REP)

Delta are to blame for many things but this is not an airline complaint. Airline credit cards are handled by financial institutions and THEY are to blame. This complaint has no merit.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 2:10 AM

and this comes from an airline employee.... big surprise
Old Aug 3, 2011, 4:34 AM

Actually The Judge is correct. Your complaint is with Amex and not Delta as they are the ones who issue the certificates. I'm sure if you call Amex and bring the error to their attention they will fix the issue. I carry three airline credit cards, two of which have similar companion fare certificates. When mine arrive annually (one is electronic so a paper cert is not mailed) the expiration date is at least a year or more out. Have you douible checked the date? Are you sure it's not 2012?
Old Aug 3, 2011, 7:28 AM

Of course I'm correct. No offense but I do not need a non-airline employee to tell me airline business. This is in no way a slam but the info I give is the correct to the best of my knowledge with 20 years experience.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:18 AM

it's so good to see that humble, can-do customer oriented spirit that I so love from an airline employee...I'm so sure that Delta never had any conversations or negotiations with AMEX when allowing them to issue that certificate...maybe I should just issue myself one since Delta is not involved whatsoever
Old Aug 3, 2011, 11:20 AM

sorry, AMEX blew me off on this one as well
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:03 PM

Originally Posted by glacierman
I recently completed my first year with American Express and was excited to receive my free companion ticket,
Which organization sent you the free companion ticket?
Old Aug 7, 2011, 9:15 PM

I also was excited to complete my first year with AMEX and receive my free companion ticket until I noticed that the expiration date was July 31, 2011!!
You better check your expiration date and fly tomorrow if you want to use it!