Old Jan 27, 2010, 6:45 AM
jonnbeck jonnbeck is offline

Default Bag searched/items missing/items ruined

I just returned home from my honeymoon. My luggage did not arrive with my when I landed in manchester nh. I got my bag at my door today, and it was obvious that it had been searched. or so I though. I went through my bag, and noticed that my toiletries which were in a zip lock bag had been poened, and then put bac in the ziplock bag without sealing either the toiletries or the bag. This caused them to leak all over my clothes and stain them. I searched my entire bag to see if there had bene a slip placed in it saying that it had been searched by TSA ( my wife's bag had been searched on the way to our honeymoon, and there wasa slip saying it had been searched and who by) There was no such slip in my bag. I did find that a box of raisenettes was taken from my bag....aparently someone was hungry. Im not trying to see what i can do, and praying that my GPS was in my wifes bag. She had hers shipped to her perents house. We'll know tomorrow, and I'll update then. But I will never fly with united again. The stewardess on our flight almost seemed drunk. She couldn't even go through her preflight instructions while reading them off index cards.....
Old Jan 27, 2010, 9:24 AM

Hard to place the blame here. If nothing is ruined, I would say forget about it and take your own advice, dont fly them. If something is ruined, contact the airline and TSA immediately. Time is not on your side. You don't say if it was an international trip or not. If not, you'll have only 24 hours to report the damage from time of receipt of luggage. If so, you'll have 7 days to report it.
Old Jan 27, 2010, 7:49 PM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

im just going to comment on the last statement since im a flight attendant and this rubbed me kind of the wrong way. When i fly as the lead flight attendant for my airline and i have to read the announcements....that makes me drunk?? i dont think so!!! its alot to remember and ALOT to read. so what if she has to look and cards, or paper or her manual, in fact its our company policy (no i dont work for united) to read our manuals while doing our preflight of our equipment
Old Jan 28, 2010, 12:30 AM

I think you have mis-interpreted this quote. It was not saying she was seemed drunk because she had to read from index cards; it was that she couldn't even go through her preflight instructions while reading them off index cards

Either way, it is a pretty fatuous statement.. fair enough be mad that some thief stole your stuff whilst it was in the care of the airline, the lack of security is appalling. However, the drunk crack was gratuitous and OTT.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 4:38 AM
cortney cortney is offline

Join Date: Sep 2009

thanks for clearing that up.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:50 PM
jonnbeck jonnbeck is offline

Join Date: Jan 2010

Jim, thats exactly what I meant. The issue isn't that she had to read them, its that she couldn't read them. It took three attempts to let us know that the aisle would be illuminated in the event of an emergency. eventually she just said "the things that light up"

Oh, my GPS was taken from my wife's bag. They also took packing tape and a bottle of five hour energy ( the only thing I'm concerend with are the ruined clothes, and the GPS)

I wrote to united, and they sent me a link to print out a form I need to fill out. They also tole me to send a copy of my "Claim check, Passenger Ticket Receipt, and receipts for items valued over $100.00" I can do the first too, but the GPS was a christmas gift, so i have no receipt. Thankfully one of my wife's cousins works for an airline so right after I posted my first message we called her, and she's been helping us out.

It was a flight from Orlando to Manchester NH, with a lay over in Washington/Dulles.
We weren't the only ones to have issues with out bags on this flight. At most ten bags arrived with the entire plane. The united employee at the front desk was shocked when we all went up to fill out baggage forms.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 12:53 AM

Passengers are caught in a trap by the airlines. They are increasingly enforcing strict baggage limits for hand luggage, but seek to exclude any items of value, electronic goods, etc. It is unacceptable and I think unlikely to be sustained in small claims court. Let's hope you have some success, but if not, I would encourage you to sue.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:26 AM
Jetliner Jetliner is offline

Join Date: May 2008

Unfortunately a lawsuit is likely to go nowhere for missing electronics. The airlines have not been increasing pushing to exclude these items. They HAVE been excluded for many years. As such this is listed in the contract of carriage, and from a legal standpoint, the airline is not liable since it is stated.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 1:40 AM

Really? Then why did the DOT fine Spirit Airlines for breaching their regulations by refusign to take responsibility for stolen laptops from baggage? This is taken from the DOT findings.

In addition, Spirit violated baggage liability laws governing international travel by refusing to accept responsibility for missing laptop computers and certain other items it accepted as baggage.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 2:55 AM
Cicero Cicero is offline

TO the OP:

It would have been a good idea to keep your GPS with you, but the airline cannot disclaim liability for electronics much as they try to.

I suggest you file a complaint with the DOT. It's easy, just a form to fill out on the internet.

The airline will get a fine AND be ordered to compensate you.

Baggage Problems Items missing from baggage checked with Northwest Airlines (EWR-AMS-DEL) singhgauravk Delta Air Lines Complaints 7 Nov 25, 2009 9:52 AM
Baggage Problems stolen items from checked in bag deltaflyernomore Delta Air Lines Complaints 16 Sep 23, 2009 12:18 AM
Lost items Linda Rusche Other Airline Complaints 1 Jan 7, 2008 4:02 AM
Baggage Problems Stolen Items darden Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Oct 9, 2007 5:48 PM
Baggage Problems Stolen items from luggage Peter Alaska Air / Horizon Air Complaints 1 Oct 9, 2007 5:45 PM